Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, Payton4thewin said:

So yeah.  Mo harkless.  

Yeah, I was crafting that to support your comparison.  Just in what a more blunt fashion.  It still triggers me when POR fans say "Thanks Orlando!" as if Harkless is some sort of prize.

10 minutes ago, Odin said:

So an ok player that no one is going to lose sleep over losing.

Right.  I think we *****ed up his trade value by not picking up that option but look at what i said the other day.  How good does Mario have to be to put him over ross/Simmons/Isaac? Pretty damn good, right? Because Isaac brings things to a lineup that aren't replicable.  You'd always prefer Isaac over Mario with this team playing this way.  

Same deal happened with harkless.  Eventually the fit just wasn't there

3 minutes ago, ML6 said:

Yeah, I was crafting that to support your comparison.  Just in what a more blunt fashion.  It still triggers me when POR fans say "Thanks Orlando!" as if Harkless is some sort of prize.

I mean he's a nice piece for them. He just  wasn't going to improve that value here

8 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

Right.  I think we *****ed up his trade value by not picking up that option but look at what i said the other day.  How good does Mario have to be to put him over ross/Simmons/Isaac? Pretty damn good, right? Because Isaac brings things to a lineup that aren't replicable.  You'd always prefer Isaac over Mario with this team playing this way.  

Same deal happened with harkless.  Eventually the fit just wasn't there

Hmm, so looking at the defensive numbers of one on one defense- he is actually third on our team for difference between opponent player average vs shots defended at -6.4% (limited to defending at least 25 shots). It doesn't help his team defensive numbers when the majority of his minutes come with some combination of Biyombo, Simmons, and Mack, who each are letting opposing players score at a higher rate against them than their (the opposing player's) average.

Obviously this is a small sample size. Gordon is  still keeping guys from scoring efficiently at -7.8 and Ross is killing it at -11.1. It would be nice if Ross could give some more efficient offense since, at 9 shots per game and an EFG% of 36.7%, he is basically negating his individual defense.

11 minutes ago, Odin said:

Hmm, so looking at the defensive numbers of one on one defense- he is actually third on our team for difference between opponent player average vs shots defended at -6.4% (limited to defending at least 25 shots). It doesn't help his team defensive numbers when the majority of his minutes come with some combination of Biyombo, Simmons, and Mack, who each are letting opposing players score at a higher rate against them than their (the opposing player's) average.

Obviously this is a small sample size. Gordon is  still keeping guys from scoring efficiently at -7.8 and Ross is killing it at -11.1. It would be nice if Ross could give some more efficient offense since, at 9 shots per game and an EFG% of 36.7%, he is basically negating his individual defense.

Ross will get there.  

4 hours ago, Payton4thewin said:

it's funny how the magic criticism now is "this team is fools gold.  Magic fans shouldn't expect this to continue" where "this"= tied for first in the league and on pace for 59 wins. 

No ****. We're just happy we went from "probably the 10th seed" to "might overachieve and get the 5th seed"

Yeah,  it doesn't really matter though as long as we keep pulling out Ws and get some respect from the refs.

More fuel for the fire! Nba.com wanted 5 writers to choose a fast start team to believe in between us and Detroit. All 5 chose the Pistons. A deflating read but we know the truth about how bad things were last year so this new upswing in offense isn't as exaggerated as the stats comparably show. Can't wait to play Memphis tonight!

5 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

Many nba people have suggested that Payton is going to screw up our offense.  

I don't know.  Dude might live at the rim

Maybe he improved his shot too; I kinda doubt it though. It'd probably be a good idea to bring him off the bench when he first comes back since he missed so many games. 

14 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

Many nba people have suggested that Payton is going to screw up our offense.  

I don't know.  Dude might live at the rim

While he hasn't played much yet because of the injury, I believe a few of our best line-ups are with him in them still too.