Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

9 hours ago, Tank Vogel said:

Shaq was ROY, 4 time all-star, MVP runner up who took the team to the NBA Finals.

AG has some cool dunks.

And THE Orlando Sentinel ran a poll in the paper at the time asking if Shaq was worth a 4 year $100 million contract and, if my memory is correct, >70% of the fans responded he was not worth it.  That poll was cited as one of the reasons Sha

Hate that send button.....the poll was cited as one of the resons Shaq left.  The point being is do not fans dictate players value.  They will get it wrong more often than get it right.  I do not know if AG is worth 20, 25 or $30 million.  I do know if we let him walk we will lose a player who is getting better, a player who can help us win, and a player I, NBA experts and pother NBA teams, see as valuable to a team.  Losing him with nothing in return and we are starting all over.  Not worth it!!!

19 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

He has a positive impact and is only 22 and projects to continue to get better.  

That's not how you define anyone worth near a max contract though.  And he doesn't project that great.

23 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

The shaq example is bad but Gordon is more than dunks. 

Potentially overpaying Gordon doesn't really hurt us as much as not paying Gordon would hurt us. 

Gordon is more than dunks.  With Isaac on the roster I don't agree with your second sentence though.  A max contract to a non-max player does way more harm than watching a guy potentially develop elsewhere, especially when we already have a higher upside player that can replace him on the roster.  

24 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

Gordon is more than dunks.  With Isaac on the roster I don't agree with your second sentence though.  A max contract to a non-max player does way more harm than watching a guy potentially develop elsewhere, especially when we already have a higher upside player that can replace him on the roster.  

But you don't give up on one good player prematurely b/c you have another good player.  They can share the court; it's not a situation where one is hampering the other.

6 minutes ago, ML6 said:

But you don't give up on one good player prematurely b/c you have another good player.  They can share the court; it's not a situation where one is hampering the other.

It’s also preferable to maintain an asset, especially considering Gordon has a great work ethic and is a high character guy. If it turns out he doesn’t fit for whatever reason he’d presumably be a guy that other teams would have considerable interest in 

49 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

A max contract to a non-max player does way more harm

No it doesn't. 

The biggest issue in maxing Gordon is it hurts our cap room for 2019. But if you're wanting to use that cap space on a high end player, having Gordon as a selling point is worth more than the 5 extra million you're going to have to ship off in an overpay vs non overpay situation.  Nobody is going to want to come here to play with isaac and 2018 pick. They'll need a few years.  

2020 it's not that bad as biyombo and Augustin expire. 

55 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

I have this feeling we're gonna try our hardest to not max out AG

It wouldn't surprise me if we did try our best to not max out AG, but in order to retain his services I think we are going to be hard pressed not to max him out. There will be teams out there that will covet his services like Sacramento. They have no first round pick next year. They already have their PG in Fox and SG in Bogdanovic, and some decent big prospects in Cauley-Stein, Giles, Skal (etc) to utilize. Their main weakness is at both forward slots and depending on how the draft falls they could fill one of them with Porter, Bagley or Bridges, and think their best option is to max out AG.

If that occurs it leaves us in an awkward position. Do we max out a player we don't really want to max? Or do we work out a deal that sends him to Sacramento while we get something in return? It's a tough scenario but I could see us deciding to try and get a sign and trade deal if we really want Porter or Bagley to pair with Isaac because we think AG has reached his ceiling. I personally would rather see us max out AG and continue to build with him because we all saw what happened to Oladipo when we let him go. He became that star elsewhere. If that happened with AG it would be tough to stomach.

40 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

No it doesn't. 

The biggest issue in maxing Gordon is it hurts our cap room for 2019. But if you're wanting to use that cap space on a high end player, having Gordon as a selling point is worth more than the 5 extra million you're going to have to ship off in an overpay vs non overpay situation.  Nobody is going to want to come here to play with isaac and 2018 pick. They'll need a few years.  

2020 it's not that bad as biyombo and Augustin expire. 

To be honest I don't see us being major players in free agency in 2019 or even in 2020. We have talked about free agency on the boards in years gone past, like wanting a top tier guy like Kevin Durant, or looking at more "realistic" alternatives like Paul Millsap and Al Hordford. Any time we have tired to go big in free agency we have failed to tempt any franchise changing talent to come to us, instead we end up with players like Channing Frye and Bismack Biyombo. 

For me, I would rather see us take a gamble and max out AG hoping he can break out and be a star, or at least become a good second option. I just don't feel confident in gambling on free agency because we aren't a big time draw. It is going to be tough to draw players here over other teams even if Isaac breaks out and we land our Donovan Mitchell. So I'd like to see us invest in AG and our young talent and bet on them making the jump together. 

9 minutes ago, Mike1989 said:

It wouldn't surprise me if we did try our best to not max out AG, but in order to retain his services I think we are going to be hard pressed not to max him out. There will be teams out there that will covet his services like Sacramento. They have no first round pick next year. They already have their PG in Fox and SG in Bogdanovic, and some decent big prospects in Cauley-Stein, Giles, Skal (etc) to utilize. Their main weakness is at both forward slots and depending on how the draft falls they could fill one of them with Porter, Bagley or Bridges, and think their best option is to max out AG.

If that occurs it leaves us in an awkward position. Do we max out a player we don't really want to max? Or do we work out a deal that sends him to Sacramento while we get something in return? It's a tough scenario but I could see us deciding to try and get a sign and trade deal if we really want Porter or Bagley to pair with Isaac because we think AG has reached his ceiling. I personally would rather see us max out AG and continue to build with him because we all saw what happened to Oladipo when we let him go. He became that star elsewhere. If that happened with AG it would be tough to stomach.

To be honest I don't see us being major players in free agency in 2019 or even in 2020. We have talked about free agency on the boards in years gone past, like wanting a top tier guy like Kevin Durant, or looking at more "realistic" alternatives like Paul Millsap and Al Hordford. Any time we have tired to go big in free agency we have failed to tempt any franchise changing talent to come to us, instead we end up with players like Channing Frye and Bismack Biyombo. 

For me, I would rather see us take a gamble and max out AG hoping he can break out and be a star, or at least become a good second option. I just don't feel confident in gambling on free agency because we aren't a big time draw. It is going to be tough to draw players here over other teams even if Isaac breaks out and we land our Donovan Mitchell. So I'd like to see us invest in AG and our young talent and bet on them making the jump together. 

Like I said before, maintaining AG as an asset is the right move...even at near max/max money. Of course we should try to get him for less than the max, but if it comes down to letting him walk or matching a max offer we have to match. Either he becomes a legit star or we use him in a package to get another player that fits our roster in the future. I’m still hopeful we can get him at $22’ish per and perhaps on a front loaded contract to maintain a bit more flexibility 3-4 years from now