Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

On 10/30/2013 at 7:25 AM, JJZFL said:

So you create the "worst team in basketball", and that makes you a genius? Sign me up. I'm sure there are a lot of people here who could put together a team that wouldn't win a single game.

On 11/10/2013 at 12:32 PM, TrustInHenny said:

This is your comment I don't get. It was in reference to Henny being called a genius because he got us to the worst record, even though we didn't have the worst team. First off, he hasn't created the worst team, that was clear in the post you quoted. So now YOU ARE the one distorting peoples words.

Of course anyone can create the worst team, as you obnoxiously say you can. Hennigan has created a sustainable base that is far from the worst in league. You sir are a moron. And yes, I will continue to argue that Hennigan is a genius, regardless how biased you think I am.

I am still waiting for the method of rebuild you had in mind.

Also, I sure hope you are some troll living under a bridge in Switzerland. Not a Magic fan.

On 11/10/2013 at 5:10 PM, JJZFL said:

Wow. Anything less than blind faith in an untested GM and coach apparently don't play well on this forum. My comment speaks for itself. We succeeded in creating a team that had the worst record in basketball last year. That is a matter of record. Obviously it was done with a purpose in mind, as part of a rebuilding strategy. But it hasn't worked yet. Until it does, I will withhold judgment on Henningan.

I live in Daytona. I've been following the Magic since 1989. I've seen plenty of different plans. Some were better than others. None have yet gotten us to a championship.

On 11/10/2013 at 6:17 PM, TrustInHenny said:

Introduction of analytics to our franchise, broadening of coaching/scouting staff and front office, building like proven winning franchises, Dwight trade, JJ trade, Nicholson, Oladipo, even Oquinn to an extent all look like genius moves to me.

Can you point out this untested gm's glaring mistakes?

His ability to build a winning team is the argument. Not the fact that his rebuilding path happens to include a couple losing seasons. This team is clearly on its way to sustainable success. You can't see that?

On 11/11/2013 at 6:51 AM, KandiKane said:

I would love to see where this muppet thinks Henni has done wrong? I praise Henni, he has done a remarkable job. Hey, most of us die hard fans who study the league passionately called foul what we got in return for Howard, we then started to see how well he did in it. Orlando was the only team out of 4 who got what they seek from that trade. That to me is a huge win.

You then look at the way he has organised scouting, which is the first time I personally feel that we have decent scouts in place and am not worried about who we draft, unlike with Otis.

The JJ Redick trade sucked from a emotional point, but it was the icing on the cap that made me love Henni. Pure genius, not many people would be able to pull off what he did. I would like you to name a few if you can.

The fact that he add Price... just to make sure we suck just enough to stay in lottery and get that high pick this draft coming will be the another future notch on his belt.

On 11/11/2013 at 11:39 PM, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

Wouldn't it be amazing if NY, Denver, and the Magic were the bottom teams in the league and we ended up with 2 of the 1st 3 picks? How would y'all like Henny then? Now if he can just figure out a way to get that Utah pic LOL

Some posts from 4.5 years ago in a thread called "The Art of Tanking".  It wasn't much of a discussion then, as anyone who had any doubts was shouted down.  That's no longer the case after the disaster that has unfolded since then.  Now at least we can have civil discussions.  I left out the most inflammatory posts from one poster who fortunately is no longer here.

1 minute ago, JJZFL said:

Some posts from 4.5 years ago in a thread called "The Art of Tanking".  It wasn't much of a discussion then, as anyone who had any doubts was shouted down.  That's no longer the case after the disaster that has unfolded since then.  Now at least we can have civil discussions.  I left out the most inflammatory posts from one poster who fortunately is no longer here.

The strategy was correct. The execution was poor. 

7 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

7 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

It's a risk inherent in the strategy though.  If you don't get an obvious great player, you have to make decisions based on guesses.  Sometimes you'll be wrong.  Hopefully people have learned a few things.  That discussion was a disgrace, and it's great that we've moved away from that tone in this forum and become more tolerant.

And even if it was just a problem with execution, it still certainly doesn't support the notion that Henny was a genius, which was my point at the time.

2 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

It's a risk inherent in the strategy though.  If you don't get an obvious great player, you have to make decisions based on guesses.  Sometimes you'll be wrong.  Hopefully people have learned a few things.  That discussion was a disgrace, and it's great that we've moved away from it.

It's not that risky.  We were right there.  Every move from the Dwight Howard trade to the skiles hiring  was pretty good.  But we traded Harris and Oladipo and a draft pick for 22 games of terrence ross this year.  Replace Harris and Oladipo with even 60% of their production and we're a much better team.  

Get a starting caliber player in this draft and a normal injury year and we're ok.  

I'm with you.  You can't just lose forever.  Especially when you have building blocks and young players in need of development and real game experience.  

But at this point it's not making a difference to win or lose with our development. At this point in the season it makes sense to position the team for the draft.  

The Spurs will be in the NBA Playoffs for the 21st consecutive season.

Amazing hats off to them...Without Kahwi mostly also

25 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I'm with you.  You can't just lose forever.  Especially when you have building blocks and young players in need of development and real game experience.  

But at this point it's not making a difference to win or lose with our development. At this point in the season it makes sense to position the team for the draft.  

I think we mostly agree at this point.  For sure this season doesn’t matter anymore, although I don’t like the mindset that some games are “meaningless “. Tell that to the fans who pay good money to see the games, or who maybe can only take their family to 1-2 games per year. But the year is over. I hope the high pick is worth it and really helps us going forward.  I’m just not that optimistic about it, and that is something I would truly love to be wrong about.  

17 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

I think we mostly agree at this point.  For sure this season doesn’t matter anymore, although I don’t like the mindset that some games are “meaningless “. Tell that to the fans who pay good money to see the games, or who maybe can only take their family to 1-2 games per year. But the year is over. I hope the high pick is worth it and really helps us going forward.  I’m just not that optimistic about it, and that is something I would truly love to be wrong about.  

More importantly than the pick we HAVE to fill that black hole on defense at the center spot. How many games did we lose because of layup drills?

43 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

More importantly than the pick we HAVE to fill that black hole on defense at the center spot. How many games did we lose because of layup drills?

As you know I completely agree with this.  I just really hope that we don’t see Vuch/Biyombo next season getting most of the minutes, with Birch buried on the bench.  That might be too much for me to remain a Magic fan.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

The Spurs will be in the NBA Playoffs for the 21st consecutive season.

Amazing hats off to them...Without Kahwi mostly also

Always loved the spurs. Shame that I know so many people who dislike them because they are “boring”

1 minute ago, billy5783 said:

Always loved the spurs. Shame that I know so many people who dislike them because they are “boring”

I think that's a narrative from like 2006

57 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I think that's a narrative from like 2006

It should be one that stayed there but unfortunately I still know people who hate them for it. Mostly younger people I guess since that’s who I work with.

30 minutes ago, billy5783 said:

It should be one that stayed there but unfortunately I still know people who hate them for it. Mostly younger people I guess since that’s who I work with.

prime Manu was anything but boring lol