Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

39 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

He traded a pick 4 years in the future to move up 2 spots and draft a player that started 234 games for us.  

Our previous gm used a lotto pick on a guy that decided he didn't want to play in the nba. 

Keep things in perspective.  Drafting a guy who might be a starter at 10 is never embarrassing.  

Think about the Payton trade like this.  

We screw around this season and end up 9th after the lottery.  We draft mikael bridges.  Trae Young goes 7th. Wouldn't you trade bridges and the 17th pick in 2022 for the chance to get trae young.  Even if your scouts were 100% sure bridges was basically going to be Josh Richardson you have ross, Simmons, Fournier, iwundu and it makes sense to take a swing on a high upside position of need.  So even if 4 years from now young ends up being Ty Lawson it still makes sense to make that move.  Because the ability to transform the franchise means more than adding another solid player with a high floor at a crowded spot and a mid teens pick that has an expected value of a player like harkless, oubre, dekker, shumpert

44 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

We screw around this season and end up 9th after the lottery.  We draft mikael bridges.  Trae Young goes 7th. Wouldn't you trade bridges and the 17th pick in 2022 for the chance to get trae young.  Even if your scouts were 100% sure bridges was basically going to be Josh Richardson you have ross, Simmons, Fournier, iwundu and it makes sense to take a swing on a high upside position of need.  So even if 4 years from now young ends up being Ty Lawson it still makes sense to make that move.  Because the ability to transform the franchise means more than adding another solid player with a high floor at a crowded spot and a mid teens pick that has an expected value of a player like harkless, oubre, dekker, shumpert

Makes sense and I hope we are that aggressive.  Doncic and Trae Young seem to make the most sense from a need perspective depending on where we draft.  I actually hope we are in a better draft position so that no trade is even necessary.  I want a shooter with range who can get his shot off and Trae has that. Trae can penetrate and can pass and will spread the floor. He will take time to adjust to pro game but upside potential is high.   He seems adequate defensively--will not be all pro but does not have to be!!  I want our FO aggressive  to prove they are serious in making this team better.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

I don't think Bridges and a 17th pick in 2022 gets it done.

Wait? You mean make that move 4 years after the draft?

37 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

I don't think Bridges and a 17th pick in 2022 gets it done.

Wait? You mean make that move 4 years after the draft?

Understand the analogy I'm making here man. 

1 hour ago, Originalticketholder said:

Makes sense and I hope we are that aggressive.  Doncic and Trae Young seem to make the most sense from a need perspective depending on where we draft.  I actually hope we are in a better draft position so that no trade is even necessary.  I want a shooter with range who can get his shot off and Trae has that. Trae can penetrate and can pass and will spread the floor. He will take time to adjust to pro game but upside potential is high.   He seems adequate defensively--will not be all pro but does not have to be!!  I want our FO aggressive  to prove they are serious in making this team better.  

I was making a point.  Not talking about young.  Trading up for young is the same thing as trading up for Payton at the time.  

6 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

That's a great way to put it. I love the boldness of trading up, I just thought it was dumb to put your hopes in a point guard that couldn't shoot at all, especially when you already had another guard with a questionable shot. One of my few disagreements with Hennigan when it came to player evaluation, actually.

Payton and Vucevic are dinosaurs in this league. We gave up on one, and we'll only start moving forward when we move the other out of town or to the bench. They're becoming extinct just like back to the basket, 6'8 power forwards that can't hit the 3

4 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

I was making a point.  Not talking about young.  Trading up for young is the same thing as trading up for Payton at the time.  

I think I get your point.  Br aggressive and use assets to get a player with a position of need who has the potential to be the face of the franchise and transform it.  Take a risk rather than settle for the safe pick in a position you do not need.  If that is correct then I think you may have used a good example in Young.  Young averaging +29 points/game, 37% 3 pt average, 44% shooting average, range is 25 feet, 85% FT shooter.  He is not Payton because he can already shoot--no learning curve.  9 assists per game and 4 rebounds per game.  Payton's college numbers=14 points/game, 5 assists per game, 49% shooting average 26% 3 point average, 60% FT average.  Need individual workouts obviously so Young may not be the guy but he is worth considering so I think he may meet your criteria.  If I got the point you were making correct?

• Like 1

I don't know what it is, but lately I've been having this weird optimism. I'm usually a pessimistic person when it comes to basically everything, but if we are able to re-sign Mario we have a path to become great.

All this Mario Hezonja love was a little tongue-in-cheek by the Magic twitter community months ago, but now the guy is actually looking like a potential star.

I think Mario, Gordon and Isaac have all the tools to succeed in today's NBA and I'd be ecstatic if we were able to keep all 3 here for next season.

We'll have another great young piece if we're able to draft one of the creators (Young or Doncic) or one of the rim protecting bigs (Bamba or JJJ)

• Like 1