Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

5 minutes ago, Skip to my Jameer 114 said:

Don’t think we’ve ever embraced the tank. We’re playing to win, Vogel won’t tank

Yea Vogel will never tank. Look no further then putting the starters back in late in fourth against Detroit costing us a draft spot. 

Thats why I’m embracing myself for the 5-8 range. Sexton/Bamba 

42 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Other than Henny's first year or two, they were never about the tank. This is why getting a franchise player is probably not going to happen for a long time.

I prefer not to use the word tank.  Selective winning is much more positive.  Looking at the upcoming draft it appears to be top 5, maybe 7 deep at future playsers, as good, if not better performers than what we have on our roster.  Ayton, Doncic, Bagley, Bamba, Trae Young, maybe Jarren Jackson, and Porter (injury concern) with their skill sets will equal or exceed what we have.  Therefore the better draft pick we get will help us more than any win would.  Continue to develop Birch, Iwundu, Isaac (if totally healthy).  Win the games you should (7-8 more max) but do not win the games that hurt getting a better draft position.  If we were really smart we have the chance to be in the top 3.  Prioritize your goals and be smart about it.  This is not about this year.  For once look at the future. 

2 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

I prefer not to use the word tank.  Selective winning is much more positive.  Looking at the upcoming draft it appears to be top 5, maybe 7 deep at future playsers, as good, if not better performers than what we have on our roster.  Ayton, Doncic, Bagley, Bamba, Trae Young, maybe Jarren Jackson, and Porter (injury concern) with their skill sets will equal or exceed what we have.  Therefore the better draft pick we get will help us more than any win would.  Continue to develop Birch, Iwundu, Isaac (if totally healthy).  Win the games you should (7-8 more max) but do not win the games that hurt getting a better draft position.  If we were really smart we have the chance to be in the top 3.  Prioritize your goals and be smart about it.  This is not about this year.  For once look at the future. 

Top 5 but if a team wants a good player in the draft, gotta position into that top 3. We don't do that.

3 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

It really does! Biz is very playable and Noah is not and he makes a lot more money. In would have liked to get a late 1st for EP but there just wasn't any GMs that think he is as good as  a few stray fans on this board do and I'm very happy not to ever see his hair flopping up and down the court in a Magic uniform ever again. I hope we keep DJ to mentor the PG that we draft. Hey, how about last night, zero turnovers from our 2 PGs!

Best thing about payton being traded is not having to hear you talk about hating his floppy hair anymore

• Upvote 5

There are other ways to win than tanking. Using cap space wisely, taking on good pieces from teams looking to start tanking, for one. If we aren't going to tank, we have to start using cap space as an asset. Look for solid players other teams aren't going to re-sign due to overload at the position, or guys who are being used poorly. Right now this strategy would look like us showcasing Evan Fournier and then trading him for assets. Same with Vuc. Get picks (AND USE THEM, FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!!!), get young guys, whatever. But don't ever sign bad contracts, and don't get too attached to any one prospect. Develop young guys, but know that they may be used to build further assets. Houston did this back in the day, slowly building a solid-but-not-good team, then cashing in a bunch of assets to get Harden. New Jersey is trying to do this now, but I think they may go back to tanking once their picks become their own. Boston did this, really (though it helps when you get the biggest trade robbery in recent memory). Dallas may be doing this, now... sort of. The problem is we don't seem to be tanking OR using our cap space wisely. Hopefully the new management does the latter a bit better than Hennigan did. So far, they've been very cap-conservative, with the Mario situation and the Elfrid trade. But we have no real clue what they'll do once we have some cap room. The fact that we never seemed to be actively trying to trade Fournier makes me think we're still in evaluation mode.

13 minutes ago, Justin Jaudon said:

There are other ways to win than tanking. Using cap space wisely, taking on good pieces from teams looking to start tanking, for one. If we aren't going to tank, we have to start using cap space as an asset. Look for solid players other teams aren't going to re-sign due to overload at the position, or guys who are being used poorly. Right now this strategy would look like us showcasing Evan Fournier and then trading him for assets. Same with Vuc. Get picks (AND USE THEM, FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!!!), get young guys, whatever. But don't ever sign bad contracts, and don't get too attached to any one prospect. Develop young guys, but know that they may be used to build further assets. Houston did this back in the day, slowly building a solid-but-not-good team, then cashing in a bunch of assets to get Harden. New Jersey is trying to do this now, but I think they may go back to tanking once their picks become their own. Boston did this, really (though it helps when you get the biggest trade robbery in recent memory). Dallas may be doing this, now... sort of. The problem is we don't seem to be tanking OR using our cap space wisely. Hopefully the new management does the latter a bit better than Hennigan did. So far, they've been very cap-conservative, with the Mario situation and the Elfrid trade. But we have no real clue what they'll do once we have some cap room. The fact that we never seemed to be actively trying to trade Fournier makes me think we're still in evaluation mode.

That way is a very long and drawn out process. Nowadays, the draft is how you turn it around.

I'm pretty much at my wits end with this organization. I'm starting to wonder if winning is an priority anymore and I feel like sooner than later we'll be having more discussions about who should be new owners than who are we drafting.

7 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

That way is a very long and drawn out process. Nowadays, the draft is how you turn it around.

I'm pretty much at my wits end with this organization. I'm starting to wonder if winning is an priority anymore and I feel like sooner than later we'll be having more discussions about who should be new owners than who are we drafting.

The nba is the only sport where you can question if winning is a priority because your team has winning as their priority

1 minute ago, ?4thewin said:

The nba is the only sport where you can question if winning is a priority because your team has winning as their priority

Yeah because sometimes there's no correlation between the  bottom line and a good product.

39 minutes ago, JamminJ21 said:

Best thing about payton being traded is not having to hear you talk about hating his floppy hair anymore

Gave you an and 1 for that!

I don't hate it at all, I actually think it is really cool, it would look great on a rapper. I also think it is very unprofessional to let your personal choice of style negatively affect your performance in professional sports.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

And being in the top 3 is critical to success.  Philly and Lakers in the top 3 last 3 years along with Boston.  All 3 teams prove this is the way to success.  Other ways augment the draft but the draft is very important.  So we are in a good position and I echo what someone else said, hopefully we do not find a way to win ourselves out of a top 3 pick AGAIN.  Actually I think the person said we will find that way.  That is just not smart planning.