Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

Just now, Ibn Battuta said:

It just sucks that the 10th player in the draft turns out to be worth...a 2nd round pick. 

That's getting hosed. That's on Payton and the team. 

6th pick Marcus Smart couldn't get a first.  4th pick Tyreke Evans couldn't get a first.  It's not that unusual.

Just now, Jay Magic said:

"Windhorst just said on ESPN that Orlando overplayed their hand with Knicks and when Knicks traded for Mudiay they took what they could get for Payton"

He's just piggybacking off of Isola's tweet probably.

Just now, Ibn Battuta said:

It just sucks that the 10th player in the draft turns out to be worth...a 2nd round pick. 

That's getting hosed. That's on Payton and the team. 

I just don't think you can connect the dots like that.  These are all just players that have a variety of values. Sometimes they become something great.  Sometimes they don't.  And once you determine he's not what you want you just have to take whatever you can get.  He's worth a second today at the deadline on an expiring deal.  Three years from now he might be better.  Three years from now he might be barely hanging around in the league.  But we leveraged whatever we could get in this specific moment

If you want to be miffed, I remember reading that one of the reasons we traded Dipo was because he was a ball dominant guard and couldn't coexist with Payton. Thus, we re-signed Fournier instead. What a mess.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Wonder what AG thinks about the trade. They were besties. We do that though. It's fun trading your best players friend away. Tmac/Miller Francis/mobley. Now Gordon/Payton. But don't worry guys it worked out so well before. 

In the Elfrid Payton trade, the Magic will receive the second-most favorable pick among Charlotte's 2018 second-round pick, Memphis' 2018 second-round pick and Miami's 2018 second-round pick. As the standings are now, that would be Charlotte's pick, 41st overall.

via Robbins

Just now, Jay Magic said:

In the Elfrid Payton trade, the Magic will receive the second-most favorable pick among Charlotte's 2018 second-round pick, Memphis' 2018 second-round pick and Miami's 2018 second-round pick. As the standings are now, that would be Charlotte's pick, 41st overall.

via Robbins

Lmao

6 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Dj's defensive numbers are against back ups. You are not correct at all. 

Eh. He is definitely better than Payton. I am not happy with the return but  we are better off without him. 

Look at Muday. He was a top 5 first round pick and was also traded by a lower second rounder.

1 minute ago, Jay Magic said:

via Robbins

That's about right for a PG that isn't even the best backup in the league.

Just now, Payton4thewin said:

I just don't think you can connect the dots like that.  These are all just players that have a variety of values. Sometimes they become something great.  Sometimes they don't.  And once you determine he's not what you want you just have to take whatever you can get.  He's worth a second today at the deadline on an expiring deal.  Three years from now he might be better.  Three years from now he might be barely hanging around in the league.  But we leveraged whatever we could get in this specific moment

You lose leverage when you shop a player too. Everyone knew we were not looking at keeping him. Everyone knew his basic deficiencies. We had no leverage going into the deal.

I think the trade is meh. But, then, I have never really been anti-Payton. I think Payton will be a fine player in the league in a couple of years. He is right in line statistically if you compare him to a Lowry or Conley type. (Yes, I understand the PNR defense is bad). But I also understand that most Magic fans don't want to go along with the ride.