Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

14 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

It’s a tough all but IMO there’s no way you don’t pay him. If you let him walk what do we really have? AG has plenty of issues but he also does plenty of things well and he’s still super young.

I’ve never been a big AG guy that’s well documented here but even I think I’d be upset if we just let him walk. He’s our best hope at becoming anything right now. 

This is one of the other factors, which we haven’t talked about much, that makes tanking a risky and difficult strategy.  You can wind up with a bunch of young guys who at year 3-4 kind of look good but may never be good enough.  And they’re looking for big $$ on their second contracts.   Especially if you have several of those at the same time, you have to make key decisions without all the information you need.  We’ve already seen how that process can go wrong with Oladipo. It can undoubtedly go wrong in the other direction also, where you wind up greatly overpaying someone who turns out not to be a foundation piece. Lots of things can go wrong unless you land an obvious superstar, which just doesn’t happen very often. 

7 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

"we still like some of our players" lol baaaaad news ;)

The last thing you want to do before the trade deadline is say "we really have to get some of these guys out of here"

3 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

The last thing you want to do before the trade deadline is say "we really have to get some of these guys out of here"

this wasn't much better

22 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

this wasn't much better

Yeah. It reads like "at least some of our players don't suck".

3 hours ago, JJZFL said:

Honestly it’s a big gamble.  If Gordon turns into an All-Star you hit the jackpot. If he remains an above average 3rd or 4th option on a good team, you’ve really hurt yourself for a long time.  I think it’s a very tough call.  

To take it a step further, just because you make an all star game or two doesn't mean you are a max player.  AG is a GOOD player, that is all.  There are many reasons why he will not get a max contract when he becomes a free agent.  We would be stupid to offer him anywhere near a max contract, there are only a handful of true max players in this league and he isn't one of them.  With Isaac on the roster and more projection I would be willing to include AG in the right deal, as should everyone else.   

5 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

To take it a step further, just because you make an all star game or two doesn't mean you are a max player.  AG is a GOOD player, that is all.  There are many reasons why he will not get a max contract when he becomes a free agent.  We would be stupid to offer him anywhere near a max contract, there are only a handful of true max players in this league and he isn't one of them.  With Isaac on the roster and more projection I would be willing to include AG in the right deal, as should everyone else.   

Nope

3 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

I'm an AG fan and a non Isaac believer. I think AG is worth something a tad below the max. With his age and our current makeup we are 3-5 years out so having a guy who doesn't reach his contract really hinders us none especially when we all expect one or both of Vuch/FourFournier not being on this team next year. 

6 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

So what do you think he is worth?

1 minute ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

I'm an AG fan and a non Isaac believer. I think AG is worth something a tad below the max. With his age and our current makeup we are 3-5 years out so having a guy who doesn't reach his contract really hinders us none especially when we all expect one or both of Vuch/FourFournier not being on this team next year. 

why so negative on Isaac? 

3 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

why so negative on Isaac? 

Mentality (and now injuries). He couldn't carve out a dominant role in college. He was a "passive" player. Just screams role player. That doesn't mean he can't be a really good role player but I'm big on the mentality of players. 

To add I think he is a bit overrated on this board as he has done virtually nothing this year. He has been ok in almost every way. He played like a rookie and other than his physical abilities there hasn't been much to get excited about.