Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

I know I've asked this question before and we came to the conclusion that the most we can offer Mario is $5m odd and one year if we now wish to resign him.

I've been digging to try to confirm this, even downloaded the CBA, but that did my head in. Anyway, I've found a page (I'm an Aussie, so not sure if the reference is legit) that appears to confirm that we are limited to the dollars in the first year. But makes no reference to limiting the length of the contract we could offer in to just one year.

Also referencing P4TW who thinks a Ben McLemore type contract is what Mario may expect in free agency, we wouldn't be far off being able to compete if we are able to offer more years even if the first year is limited to the $5m mark.

Can you back end a contract to make up for that first year short fall?

Anyway, this is what I found at https://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/247867/CBA-Encyclopedia-Rookie-Scale-Contracts

What happens when a team declines a rookie scale option?

Since option years are decided so far ahead of time, a player is still under contract for that season if a team declines a rookie scale option. The most important rule comes into play the following summer. While declining the option makes that player an unrestricted free agent that off-season, the team and player could agree to a new contract. However, only the team had said player’s rights at the end of that season has an additional restriction: they cannot sign him for a higher first year salary than the value of the declined option.

46 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

My bad then.

No biggie. Ancient history as others have said. I also recall someone advocating for Iggy, but I don’t remember who it was. 

11 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

No biggie. Ancient history as others have said. I also recall someone advocating for Iggy, but I don’t remember who it was. 

I think P4TW was an Igg advocate back in the day,  not many of the remainders were though

3 hours ago, SlightlyOdway said:

I know I've asked this question before and we came to the conclusion that the most we can offer Mario is $5m odd and one year if we now wish to resign him.

I've been digging to try to confirm this, even downloaded the CBA, but that did my head in. Anyway, I've found a page (I'm an Aussie, so not sure if the reference is legit) that appears to confirm that we are limited to the dollars in the first year. But makes no reference to limiting the length of the contract we could offer in to just one year.

Also referencing P4TW who thinks a Ben McLemore type contract is what Mario may expect in free agency, we wouldn't be far off being able to compete if we are able to offer more years even if the first year is limited to the $5m mark.

Can you back end a contract to make up for that first year short fall?

Anyway, this is what I found at https://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/247867/CBA-Encyclopedia-Rookie-Scale-Contracts

This is huge if true 

1 hour ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

This is huge if true 

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

Also says similar (section 47)

However, if the team declines either option and the player becomes a free agent, the team cannot re-sign him to a salary greater than he would have received had the team exercised its option. In other words, teams can't decline an option year in order to get around the rookie salary scale and give the player more money. This applies to all types of signings, including the Bird exception, the Mid-Level exception, and cap room.

From what I can understand, If someone wants to overpay Mario, they can get him, but we should still be able to offer him the same amount that we would if we picked up the option. however he is unrestricted free agent, meaning he can also sign with other teams if he chooses to do so.

6 hours ago, Murphy13 said:

I think P4TW was an Igg advocate back in the day,  not many of the remainders were though

No. 

They're talking about instead of rebuilding we should have tried to trade Dwight for vets and try to rebuild on the fly.  

CBA itself also makes it sound like it's just a first year thing.  But this is just one snippet in a 600 page document so I could be missing a more applicable statement.

Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this Agreement, if a player is a Veteran Free Agent following the second or third Season of his Rookie Scale Contract (where the first Option Year or second Option Year (as applicable) to extend such Contract was not exercised), then any new Player Contract between the player and the Team that signed him to his Rookie Scale Contract (and/or, if such Contract was subsequently assigned, any such assignee Team) may provide for Regular Salary, Likely Bonuses and Unlikely Bonuses in the first Salary Cap Year of up to the Regular Salary, Likely Bonuses and Unlikely Bonuses, respectively, that the player would have received for such Salary Cap Year had his first or second Option Year (as applicable) been exercised. Annual increases and decreases in Salary and Unlikely Bonuses shall be governed by Section 5(c)(2) above.

TBH though I can't even wrap my head around the definition of a "Veteran Free Agent" as described in the document so we could be way off.  P4TW generally knows this stuff pretty well and has always said it's one year period.

I tweeted Marks and Coon to see if they will clarify so that we can put this to bed.

3 hours ago, Payton4thewin said:

No. 

They're talking about instead of rebuilding we should have tried to trade Dwight for vets and try to rebuild on the fly.  

Hindsight is 20/20 but couldn’t have been any worse. 

My understanding is that Mario is now almost like any other free agent; but we have less bargaining power with him. He is still our free agent, so we can still offer an additional year over anyone else, and we can still offer 7.5% raises (others limited to 5%); BUT, we are limited to the $5M or so for that first year. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

My understanding is that Mario is now almost like any other free agent; but we have less bargaining power with him. He is still our free agent, so we can still offer an additional year over anyone else, and we can still offer 7.5% raises (others limited to 5%); BUT, we are limited to the $5M or so for that first year. 

It seems like there are conflicting opinions about this.  I hope someone will definitively clarify because the different scenarios being mentioned have very different implications regarding our options with Hezonja. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

It seems like there are conflicting opinions about this.  I hope someone will definitively clarify because the different scenarios being mentioned have very different implications regarding our options with Hezonja. 

Not really. If we had chosen to exercise our option, we would have had him for one more year at the option price of approx. $5M; we chose not to, so he is now treated like a free agent for the rest of the league. But because we refused that option, we can't offer him more than that amount. I have seen people saying we can only offer a one-year deal, but I don't think that is correct; the only limitation I can find is the monetary limit for the first year.  Anyone else can make him any offer, assuming they have the cap space. Bottom line, if someone offers him more we can't compete.