Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

14 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

So do you gamble on a max contract if that’s what it takes to keep him?  As you said, no one knows how good he’ll be in 3 years.  Maybe he’ll never be an All-Star and then you’re stuck with a multi year huge contract on an above average starter, which would really hinder the team’s cap space going forward. 

You also have to consider the 25% max isn't really as bad as the giant 35% max contracts you're talking about with guys like cousins. 

And teams never really regret overpaying a good player. They regret those mid level contracts given to replacement level guys when you can find basically the same guy for the minimum.  

If the rest of this season for Gordon plays out pretty much identically as it has so far (i.e. 18 and 8, mid 30s three point percentage, some flashy games, some bad games) he's probably worth a batum like deal (just under the max first year but no yearly growth) so something like 5/125 vs the 5/152ish that the full max would be.  

Gordon is going to get paid no matter what. Whether is us or another team. I think 5/125 is fair.  

On another note, I really think we should get rid off VUC. As a proactive move, will you consider a Mario for Okafor swap and see how he does with more playing time at the center position for the rest of the year? 

2 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

Gordon is going to get paid no matter what. Whether is us or another team. I think 5/125 is fair.  

On another note, I really think we should get rid off VUC. As a proactive move, will you consider a Mario for Okafor swap and see how he does with more playing time at the center position for the rest of the year? 

No.  There's no advantage to trading for okafor due to limitations of the contract we could offer if he's actually good.  Just wait to see if he's waived. 

42 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

But he might have a month where he puts up like 24 per game if we decide to get him 16 shots per game.  If that happens he's worth the max.  

I personally rather keep him. I just know he has the most value and plus to get those 16 shots a game, we're going to have to get rid of Vuch and no one wants him.

So how do we get rid of Vuch and improve the team at the same time? 

2 hours ago, Ibn Battuta said:

Just because he’s our best player doesn’t mean he’d be the best player on other teams. Maybe the Nets he would be. You can’t hand out a max contract to player who is at best the third option on a championship team. We would be just fine without him. He doesn’t do anything that’s irreplaceable. 

The issue is we see improvement but we don’t know what we have yet. I still don’t think he’s being utilized correctly on offense or defense.

I do think relying on Vuc for offense is hindering what he can show us. 

He does fit the mold of what we want to built toward though. I think odds are definitely in his favor as far as us matching any offer he gets. 

1 minute ago, Skip to my Jameer 114 said:

Show him the bench. It’ll be instant addition by subtraction.

It'll be a distraction. His value will also drop even further. Not a good idea.

Someone would trade for vucevic.  He's got a lot of value as a bench scorer.  I just wouldn't expect a huge return.  We'd get something.  Just not a ton

3 hours ago, Payton4thewin said:

You've always been down on Gordon

Maybe but it’s nothing irrational or out of place. Yes he has improved every season, yes his 3pt shooting is up this season, yes he is a good overall defender. But this is our top selection, our potential future face of the franchise! If you give him that money, he becomes the de facto leader. And I don’t feel comfortable giving him that responsibility. In my eyes he hasn’t earned enough accolades, or clearly distinguished himself from his peers. 

We can do all the talking you want,” center Nikola Vucevic said afterward. “If it doesn’t transfer on the court, it doesn’t matter. I think the talking is past due. It expired. It’s time for actions

6 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

We can do all the talking you want,” center Nikola Vucevic said afterward. “If it doesn’t transfer on the court, it doesn’t matter. I think the talking is past due. It expired. It’s time for actions

Just like your time here vuc, time has expired!!!

• Like 1