Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

5 hours ago, Payton4thewin said:

Depends on how he plays the rest of the season.  Probably worth it

Nobody on this team is worth a max contract. 

And those comments from Hammond while true, don’t mean much since he wasn’t extended this offseason. If they really felt like they “got to have” him why not lock him up? This team will be just fine without him. 

2 hours ago, Ibn Battuta said:

And those comments from Hammond while true, don’t mean much since he wasn’t extended this offseason. If they really felt like they “got to have” him why not lock him up? This team will be just fine without him. 

This team is in shambles right now very far from fine. Yeah let's get rid of our best player.

Good idea!

2 hours ago, Ibn Battuta said:

I think before the season he was not worth the max but after seeing his improvement a case can be made for near max at least

52 minutes ago, Gordon MVP said:

I think before the season he was not worth the max but after seeing his improvement a case can be made for near max at least

I think all these opinions are reasonable.  My concern is that a team probably can't afford to have more than one (or at the most two) max contracts, so you have to be really careful who you give them to.  To me, the benchmark for deserving a max contract is a player who can single-handedly make the team at least respectable, a perennial all-star or at least always a strong contender. By that standard, Gordon is not there yet.  However, I recognize that others have different opinions on this, and those opinions are certainly legitimate.

3 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

This team is in shambles right now very far from fine. Yeah let's get rid of our best player.

Good idea!

Just because he’s our best player doesn’t mean he’d be the best player on other teams. Maybe the Nets he would be. You can’t hand out a max contract to player who is at best the third option on a championship team. We would be just fine without him. He doesn’t do anything that’s irreplaceable. 

10 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

Just because he’s our best player doesn’t mean he’d be the best player on other teams. Maybe the Nets he would be. You can’t hand out a max contract to player who is at best the third option on a championship team. We would be just fine without him. He doesn’t do anything that’s irreplaceable. 

You've said that we need an all star to take us to the playoffs. How did that workout for the knicks with melo?  U don't trade a guy who is 22 and improving every year. U don't know how good he will be in 3 years. 

37 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

You've always been down on Gordon

35 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

You've said that we need an all star to take us to the playoffs. How did that workout for the knicks with melo?  U don't trade a guy who is 22 and improving every year. U don't know how good he will be in 3 years. 

So do you gamble on a max contract if that’s what it takes to keep him?  As you said, no one knows how good he’ll be in 3 years.  Maybe he’ll never be an All-Star and then you’re stuck with a multi year huge contract on an above average starter, which would really hinder the team’s cap space going forward.