Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

It floors me how much this team lacks in defensive fundamentals.

Little things like get low, hands out, busy hands, angles, things you're taught in high school.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Payton4thewin said:

Why blame tanking? Philly seems unaffected with no bad habits and teams like okc with stars who've all been there before aren't plaything like they know how to win.  

Blame vucevic and his attitude that's been there from day 1.

Also the team is much better than last year

If you get a really good player, like when we got Shaq and/or Howard, they can single-handedly lift you into being a good team.  Philly has perhaps two such players.  But it doesn't happen that often.  And if you don't get such a player to uplift the rest of the team, the bad mental outlook that these ordinary players develop can make all the difference in the world.  We're seeing that this season.   Same players, but after a few losses all of a sudden they look like they would lose to a good college team.  They look like they expect to lose.  The effort goes way down, the body language is bad, they start to bicker.  All these are the hallmarks of a team conditioned to lose. 

Tanking can work if you beat the odds and get one of the one or two really great players who come out some years (not every year).  That's why I said its high-risk, not a guaranteed failure.  But if you don't get such a player, you wind up like us.  The Magic had never been bad for even 5 years in a row before we went to tanking. Now it looks like there's no limit to how long this could last.

At this point we aren't "much better" than last year, especially since everyone was using the post AS break as a benchmark. Indeed we might be worse.

13 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

If you get a really good player, like when we got Shaq and/or Howard, they can single-handedly lift you into being a good team.  Philly has perhaps two such players.  But it doesn't happen that often.  And if you don't get such a player to uplift the rest of the team, the bad mental outlook that these ordinary players develop can make all the difference in the world.  We're seeing that this season.   Same players, but after a few losses all of a sudden they look like they would lose to a good college team.  They look like they expect to lose.  The effort goes way down, the body language is bad, they start to bicker.  All these are the hallmarks of a team conditioned to lose. 

Tanking can work if you beat the odds and get one of the one or two really great players who come out some years (not every year).  That's why I said its high-risk, not a guaranteed failure.  But if you don't get such a player, you wind up like us.  The Magic had never been bad for even 5 years in a row before we went to tanking. Now it looks like there's no limit to how long this could last.

At this point we aren't "much better" than last year, especially since everyone was using the post AS break as a benchmark. Indeed we might be worse.

There's on average 1 in every draft. 

5 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

I'm in total agreement. No more tanking. If we luck into a high draft, fine, but we need to move away from that and start building a different culture here.

29 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

I'm in total agreement. No more tanking. If we luck into a high draft, fine, but we need to move away from that and start building a different culture here.

Nobody said we should tank. Just tanking isn't to blame for vucevic pouting when other teams who tank don't have those same issues and other players who leave the magic don't exhibit any bad habits at their new locations

1 hour ago, Payton4thewin said:

Nobody said we should tank. Just tanking isn't to blame for vucevic pouting when other teams who tank don't have those same issues and other players who leave the magic don't exhibit any bad habits at their new locations

I know. Just stating my position on it because pretty soon here, it'll be a topic.

5 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

I was hoping new management would be proactive instead of reactive. So much for hope. 

They were proactive in the offseason with the acquisitions of Simmons, Afflalo, Mack and Speights during free agency period. 

The were kind of proactive with the selection of Isaac and Iwundu in the draft. ( Passing on Smith Jr and Kuzma tho) 

They were also proactive by not extending Payton and Gordon in the offseason. This has been their greatest move so far. 

Not need to be REACTIVE on trades. No need to panic. They need to explore PROACTIVE trades and looking for picks. 

Trade Vuc and Trade Fournier and I think a lot of our problems go away. Imagine if you could replace those two for Whiteside and Josh Richardson or Waiters we would be so much of a better team. Vuc and Fournier while they can score just do not fit with this team.