Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

Whiteside is not solving any problems.  He will probably be out of the league soon. 

26 minutes ago, matthi32 said:

I think talentwise Whiteside would be a upgarde to what we have now. I agree with you, that his attitude is a risk. But why gave Miami him that contract? Maybe something happen in the last year that we all don't know. His prize is at the bottom now and we don't have to give up much for him. Worst case: we get a player with high salary for the next 2 years. Best case: slove our problem at the center position.

If I'm not mistaken he signed his extension before the 2016-17 season. His stats in his two prior seasons were:

- 2014-15: 23.8 MPG, 10 RPG, 2.6 BPG, 11.8 PPG

- 2015-16: 29.1 MPG, 11.8 RPG, 3.7 BPG, 14.2 PPG [regular season]

- 2015-16: 29.1 MPG, 10.9 RPG, 2.8 BPG, 12.9 PPG

So he had made an impact playing for Miami and considering they lost a closely fought battle in the conference semi finals, Miami wanted to keep on winning and paid the price required to bring him back. They also tried to get Kevin Durant to sign for them and failed. Problem for them is they combined Whiteside's extension with a questionable decision to match the Net's offer sheet for Tyler Johnson (he's down to earn $19 million the next two seasons!) and letting Wade leave. Fast forward an off season and they decide to give pay days to Dion Waiters, James Johnson, Kelly Olynyk, and extend Josh Richardson (he's going to net roughly $10 million a season from now on). So Miami have made some questionable decisions based on their win now philosophy. But what is more relevant in this case is that Miami have started to make changes to their offense which makes Whiteside less appealing to them, so that makes him expendable if they continue to pursue a more modern offense and why they are probably willing to give up on him if the price is right. 

Knicks are expected to hire a coach this week, I am hoping Knicks will hire Stackhouse because I do not want him but I think Knicks will hire Blatt which will be a good fit for the Knicks

The Pacers season ended Sunday, remember, and Oladipo was back in the gym Monday at 7:30 a.m., getting up 200 shots. Then he was in the weight room, and not fiddling with the iron but attacking it. Pritchard, who worked for the Spurs years ago as a scout, compares Oladipo’s combination of on-and-off-court leadership to Tim Duncan’s, and says it has this effect on the rest of the team: “You better fall in line, or you don’t look right.”

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2018/05/01/doyel-pacers-have-something-special-but-kevin-pritchard-faces-fragile-offseason/568171002/

makes me wonder what our guys have been doing since their season ended

45 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

Mario was posting training videos like a day after the season ended. Gordon usually takes like 2 weeks off now so he can spend the rest of the summer training, usually in California. 

2 hours ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

Probably mostly smoking/drinking. All this losing doesn’t give them much motivation to work on their games in the off-season.

• Downvote 3

20 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Probably mostly smoking/drinking. All this losing doesn’t give them much motivation to work on their games in the off-season.

Wow. Pulled that right out of your ass

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, magicblue said:

Wow. Pulled that right out of your ass

Another comment with zero substance. You got anything at all besides insults?

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, JJZFL said:

Another comment with zero substance. You got anything at all besides insults?

And you assuming our players are out drinking/smoking because of losing has “substance”? Dude, seriously...get over yourself. And what insult are you referring to exactly? If me calling you out for posting a stupid f'ing comment is insulting to you maybe you should consider thinking before you post or get thicker skin.

7 hours ago, matthi32 said:

I think talentwise Whiteside would be a upgarde to what we have now. I agree with you, that his attitude is a risk. But why gave Miami him that contract? Maybe something happen in the last year that we all don't know. His prize is at the bottom now and we don't have to give up much for him. Worst case: we get a player with high salary for the next 2 years. Best case: slove our problem at the center position.

Trade for him with Biz and a second. I doubt anybody will take Biz off our hands. 

Do you guys think that if we go big with our first pick and maybe just grab a PG in the 2nd, then play DJ for a full season as the starter, do you think that he will have any value next off season in a trade if he averages roughly what he did at the end of the season as a starter?

I'm thinking if we can hold off another season in fixing the PG issue, see how our 2nd round PG goes, we'll know if we have anything after a full season and we can then address the PG spot through free agency or through the draft with our next seasons first round pick (we could possibly move up in next year's draft by attaching a future first and player). 

EDIT: And when I say any value, I know he's not suddenly going to be a hot trade piece but could be be anything?

Nonetheless, the argument for trading Rozier gets more interesting as the playoffs progress. It’s no secret that Rozier sees himself leading a team one day, telling NBC Sports Boston as recently as this season that he wants to be a starter in the NBA and envisions being one sometime in the near future. With Irving expected to make a full recovery from knee surgery by the start of training camp, however, Rozier will almost certainly return to his backup point guard role next season, even if he somehow carries the Celtics to the Eastern Conference finals.

While that would give the Celtics the depth they need to be title contenders, there is risk involved. On one hand, Rozier was a Sixth Man of the Year candidate this season and could be a supercharged version of that next season. On the other, the Celtics run the risk of losing Rozier for nothing in return if a team offers him a contract they don’t have the financial flexibility to match when he becomes a restricted free agent.

There’s an alternative where the Celtics get him on a bargain deal if the market isn’t as expected — something we could see with Smart this offseason — but Rozier might have have done enough in these playoffs to convince a team he’s worthy of being paid like a starter.

It’s why it’s hard to believe the Celtics won’t at least consider trading Rozier this offseason. Restricted free agency aside, his trade value is currently at an all-time high. The Celtics already have the star power needed to compete in the Eastern Conference provided their core can stay healthy, so they could flip Rozier for future assets or veterans on team-friendly contracts who can better complement Irving, Hayward and Horford.

The Celtics could also include Rozier in a trade for another star, such as Kawhi Leonard, who is going to be on a number of wish lists in the offseason if the Spurs do make him available. Rozier alone won’t get the job done, but few teams would be able to compete with a package built around some combination of him, Brown, Tatum and a future first-round pick.

It makes all those times Danny Ainge chose not to trade Rozier worth it. The difference now is Rozier might have played his way into a deal not even Ainge can refuse.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nba-playoffs-2018-terry-rozier-boston-celtics-philadelphia-76ers-game-1-trade/bxbljlqmnhgq1xqbgy66pvpk8