Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

Just now, jmmagicfan said:

I think that is why he played a couple of games at the end of the season - to give management a little more time to evaluate, and to show the rest of the league he is recovered. I don't think we move him unless we get a pretty good offer - no second round pick a la Payton. As I said, I think he can play a good role for us if we don't get a good offer and decide to keep him. 

No. It has nothing to do with that. Teams know what Ross is. And he didn't blow his Achilles. It's not a performance hampering injury.

We played him as a reward for his rehab and a way to encourage continuous rehab into the off-season. It's a psychological thing. 

1 minute ago, Ibn Battuta said:

I would absolutely trade him for a 2nd round pick...He's an expiring contract I don't think you can get much more than that. 

I haven't been impressed in his 1.5 seasons here. Simmons fills his role and does it cheaper. What role do you see him in if you want to keep him?

That would be dumb. We're not in the position to give away two way players

5 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

We played him as a reward for his rehab and a way to encourage continuous rehab into the off-season. It's a psychological thing. 

I would not dismiss the notion that we played him to prove he’s healthy heading into the summer trade season. But I agree we aren’t in a position to give him away for a second round pick. And no need to make a move this summer if there aren’t takers. There should be a market for him at the deadline if it doesn’t look like we will resign. We could also combine his salary with Vucevic to take back a bad contract for a good prospect and/or a first rounder. He’s a valuable piece for our management. 

1 minute ago, ?4thewin said:

That would be dumb. We're not in the position to give away two way players

two way player is questionable. why clog the cap sheet further; we don't need him when Simmons fills his role. He's not a starter if that's what you're getting at. 

40 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

two way player is questionable. why clog the cap sheet further; we don't need him when Simmons fills his role. He's not a starter if that's what you're getting at. 

He’s completely different from Simmons and fits better in the starting line up. Simmons is a ball hog and Ross plays off the ball. They fill 2 different roles. You’re not making any sense.

51 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

It's not really questionable. 

He's a fine starter. He was in a shooting slump to start the year but the 11 games prior to getting injured he had 53/42/69 shooting splits

9 minutes ago, Gordon MVP said:

He’s completely different from Simmons and fits better in the starting line up. Simmons is a ball hog and Ross plays off the ball. They fill 2 different roles. You’re not making any sense.

i'm saying, why commit cap space to him. Is he really that special? I can get behind trading him and Vuc for some other contract plus asset, like another poster said. 

At some point I want to see the team develop that kind of player from Lakeland, because that's not a tall order. 

Just now, Ibn Battuta said:

i'm saying, why commit cap space to him. Is he really that special? I can get behind trading him and Vuc for some other contract plus asset, like another poster said. 

At some point I want to see the team develop that kind of player from Lakeland, because that's not a tall order. 

You suggested trading him for a second rounder. That's not really necessary given his fit. He's worth more as a 3 and d guy. Maybe you see what he can get you at the deadline but it's not crazy to keep him and see if you can resign him for a modest deal given he's not going to be a guy to command a big contract.

1 minute ago, ?4thewin said:

You suggested trading him for a second rounder. That's not really necessary given his fit. He's worth more as a 3 and d guy. Maybe you see what he can get you at the deadline but it's not crazy to keep him and see if you can resign him for a modest deal given he's not going to be a guy to command a big contract.

see im totally against even giving a modest deal, because in practice that rarely happens. As an unrestricted free agent, he'll get whatever the market dictates. If we can develop a GLeauge guy that gives similar production (3 and d right?) but at a fraction of the cost, that will give us more space to sign a better free agent. As far as I can see, he doesn't do anything that is totally worth keeping him around, or that can't be replaced. 

5 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I'm not sure this ever happens. 

I have expectations of this team. We need to start developing players like that. Hitting threes and playing team defense shouldn't be something this team has to go out and buy in free agency. We aren't the rockets who can afford to give MLE money to PJ Tucker. Maybe Ross gets offered that type of money next season, but I feel confident it will be in that ballpark $7-9mm per season, and I wouldn't want us to commit to that salary long term.