Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, Magicman28 said:

No way I'd offer that. 

An resign AG OR Isaac,  Fournier etc. Not both AG and Isaac and our 1st rounder.

you misunderstood me. I would resign Gordon and keep him. Trade Isaac and our 1st rounder.

4 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

If we blow up the team to sign kawhi he's going to leave after next year.  

how do you know? maybe he likes it here and wants to commit to us. Trading for him hardly qualifies as blowing the team up. On a 25 win roster, no player is untouchable. Besides, Vuc and Ross come off the books, and DJ and Biz would have only one year left. All we'd need to do is move Biz with a pick and we have tons of salary space to make a run at Klay Thompson. 

2 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

how do you know? maybe he likes it here and wants to commit to us. Trading for him hardly qualifies as blowing the team up. On a 25 win roster, no player is untouchable. Besides, Vuc and Ross come off the books, and DJ and Biz would have only one year left. All we'd need to do is move Biz with a pick and we have tons of salary space to make a run at Klay Thompson. 

Or he just bolts for LA given that he's from LA 

I wouldn't trade Isaac and our first for one year of a returning from injury Kawhi Leonard who is apparently disgruntled in a small market. If I was Boston and was one piece away from a title I would make that trade (Brown + Sac pick next year) since that one year could result in a title, but it doesn't make sense for a team like us.

6 minutes ago, Mack1085 said:

I wouldn't trade Isaac and our first for one year of a returning from injury Kawhi Leonard who is apparently disgruntled in a small market. If I was Boston and was one piece away from a title I would make that trade (Brown + Sac pick next year) since that one year could result in a title, but it doesn't make sense for a team like us.

I would trade isaac and our first if you had some inclination that he'd be ok playing here.  

I wouldn't trade isaac and Gordon.  

You're going to need someone whos going to be good for kawhi to play with to keep him here.  Isaac is probably still going to be bad at times.  Our pick is going to be bad at times.  

16 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I would trade isaac and our first if you had some inclination that he'd be ok playing here.  

I wouldn't trade isaac and Gordon.  

You're going to need someone whos going to be good for kawhi to play with to keep him here.  Isaac is probably still going to be bad at times.  Our pick is going to be bad at times.  

That's a huge gamble. Especially when you don't know what you've got in your coach and you don't have cap flexibility to go out and add good free agents that fit around him. Maybe he's good being here in theory but if he gets here and doesn't like the coach, training staff, losing...you just set the franchise back several years again. 

5 minutes ago, Mack1085 said:

That's a huge gamble. Especially when you don't know what you've got in your coach and you don't have cap flexibility to go out and add good free agents that fit around him. Maybe he's good being here in theory but if he gets here and doesn't like the coach, training staff, losing...you just set the franchise back several years again. 

High risk high reward. It would be a gamble but in the weak east it could pay out.

29 minutes ago, Mack1085 said:

how does trading Gordon and Isaac set the franchise back though? AG is about to get paid and Isaac is years away from doing anything. I'd rather pay Kawhi than AG. The other equation, salary cap, yes there are things to work out but that's not an impossible task. We have a couple extra picks; we can use those to move guys and/or get better fits. 

I don't see it as a gamble at all. We're not losing any player on the cusp of being very special, or even close to Kawhi Leonard. Only Isaac has that potential but who wants to wait 4 years for that to happen, if it even does happen.

2 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

how does trading Gordon and Isaac set the franchise back though? AG is about to get paid and Isaac is years away from doing anything. I'd rather pay Kawhi than AG. The other equation, salary cap, yes there are things to work out but that's not an impossible task. We have a couple extra picks; we can use those to move guys and/or get better fits. 

Because trading Gordon and isaac for kawhi severely impacts your ability to resign him.  He'll leave.  

And if kawhi leaves you're 3 years behind where  you are now.  1 year of the kawhi team.  1 year of tanking for the next rookie.  1 year of that rookies development before he's where isaac is now.  

22 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

I don't see it as a gamble at all. We're not losing any player on the cusp of being very special, or even close to Kawhi Leonard. Only Isaac has that potential but who wants to wait 4 years for that to happen, if it even does happen.

Kawhi Leonard has two seasons left on his current contract, the second of which is a player option that he will likely opt out of to become an unrestricted free agent in 2019. 

So to answer the question, how does trading Gordon and Isaac set this franchise back if we did that in order to acquire Kawhi? 

Simple, if Kawhi walks in a years time this team will be starting from the ground up. We'll have sent Gordon and Isaac away, plus what would likely be this year's first round pick and possibly another one as well. I don't believe it is worth the risk in trading away young players and draft picks in the hope that Kawhi decides to stay here long term. Plus, we also have to factor in his injury history. He's yet to play a full season and before this season he has missed 18, 24, 16, 18, 10, and 8 games in his first six seasons. I rate the guy highly, but he doesn't seem to be the most durable of players. Then there is the question mark over why he has sat for most of this season, which has led to some questioning his toughness. For me, I would stay away from trying to acquire him because he is a flight risk and if he's ready to shun the Spurs, one of the most successful teams in league history, then I really doubt we'll hold onto him long based off how our team has been run.