Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

29 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

He would help his free-agency prospects if he ends the season with a flourish, but he has been painfully inconsistent after a strong stretch from late January through late February. This month, he has made only 38.2 percent of his shots overall and just 22.4 percent of his 3s.”

I think the description of being “painfully inconsistent” is pretty sobering, especially when Robbins contrasts it with Mario being “saturated with self-confidence.”

22 year olds are inconsistent.  Nothing new.  Shot 46/40 in February.  

Can't expect a guy to go from bad to good in a straight line.  The line is going to wobble.

7 minutes ago, Odin said:

What I find interesting is how, now, the things he seems to have talent in and the things he was supposed to be good at don't really line up much at all.

Was supposed to be a scorer- doesn't actually score that much. (Obviously still has potential here, but 9 points in 21 minutes is mediocre scoring at best, especially when he is likely the most talented player on the floor when playing with the bench.)

Was supposed to be a great 3 point shooter- has been average at best.

On the other hand, I think his defense has really come together in the last half a season. Especially his quick hands and skill at jumping passing lanes. He has almost doubled his steals production. For example he has gone from 1.32 steals per 36 for the first 33 games, to 2.11 for the last 33 games.

Also, his passing has been really good at times, showing great vision and skill.

His athleticism is there, but can be awkward at times. He needs to learn how to make better use of it.

yeah, if he could just do what we thought would come easy to him along with the other stuff he'll be an amazing player

4 minutes ago, Odin said:

What I find interesting is how, now, the things he seems to have talent in and the things he was supposed to be good at don't really line up much at all.

Was supposed to be a scorer- doesn't actually score that much. (Obviously still has potential here, but 9 points in 21 minutes is mediocre scoring at best, especially when he is likely the most talented player on the floor when playing with the bench.)

Was supposed to be a great 3 point shooter- has been average at best.

On the other hand, I think his defense has really come together in the last half a season. Especially his quick hands and skill at jumping passing lanes. He has almost doubled his steals production. For example he has gone from 1.32 steals per 36 for the first 33 games, to 2.11 for the last 33 games.

Also, his passing has been really good at times, showing great vision and skill.

His athleticism is there, but can be awkward at times. He needs to learn how to make better use of it.

9 points in 21 minutes is pretty normal. Shabazz is having a pretty good season and he's right there.  Same with fred vanvleet and delon Wright. Larry nance patty mills and so on

28 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Can't expect a guy to go from bad to good in a straight line.  The line is going to wobble.

You nailed it.  3rd year in the league and starting to get it.  Still not there but enough (Reddick like evolution) to see he can be a contributor.  Hope we can keep him becasue I think he will be a scorer.  I think he has been playing out of position (sometimes playing 4).  A defined 3 who I would love to see if he could play 2.  I see this year as almost his first year of real development.  If I were another team I would offer him 8 mil.  His upside potential looks petty good!!

31 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

9 points in 21 minutes is pretty normal. Shabazz is having a pretty good season and he's right there.  Same with fred vanvleet and delon Wright. Larry nance patty mills and so on

I was a little hyperbolic there, but I think he is around the median. 148th out of 336 of players with at least 500 minutes played in points per 36 minutes (15.5 points per 36). That is the 56th percentile, which is just above the median.

In efficiency, he is at 54.4% TS%, which puts him at 196th (Same parameters), or the 42nd percentile, or slightly below median. Using EFG% he is at 51.7% which is 179th, or 46th percentile.

Basically he was advertised as a "Kobe"-lite type competitor and scorer. Being average is not meeting that expectation. Being average is not excelling.

On the other hand he is 35th in steals per 36, which is pretty great, especially when you take into account the shoddy start to the season he had.

(Side note, Isaac has still not played 500 minutes this season, so it might be a bit of a small sample size, but per 36, he is at 2.1 steals and 2.1 blocks. There are no players with over 500 minutes that has over 2 per 36 in both steals and blocks. Isaac is a rookie. He just might end up being a monster on that end.)

44 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I’m not necessarily disagreeing. Just find Robbins tone and language to be strong. 

1 hour ago, Gordon MVP said:

Looks like elf wore out his welcome in phx, their media and forum users hate him now. And he’s losing minutes to Ulis

Are they complaining about his personal awning/hair?

32 minutes ago, WarDamnMagic said:

Are they complaining about his personal awning/hair?

LOL I popped in over there and they were already doing that in week 2. Their TV announcers call it the flop.

"When McD traded for Payton...

The consensus seemed to be that it was a good move because he gave basically nothing.

Then Payton had a few good games and people expressed interest in possibly re-signing him.

Now the Payton buzz has completely dissipated… exactly as I anticipated.

It was a nothing move. Not really worthy of praise, because it made zero difference. The team is 1-15 with Payton and after a few decent games they are no more watchable than they ever were.

The defense became even more abhorrent after his arrival, just as advanced statistics and film study suggested it would.

Payton was no treasure… he was Orlando’s trash.

And sifting through their refuse shows how low the Suns have sunk.

So congrats, McD… for only giving up a second round pick for a PG to pilot the team to a 1-29 finish.

• Upvote 1

Anyone else getting psyched for the playoffs? I have a feeling this is gonna be a pretty good one. Lots of uncertainty.