Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

I agree, DJ has done a good job, but is not our long term solution. We do need a Center, I like Burch as a back up. Let’s grab a Point or combo guard that can shoot and play perimeter D with our second pick and develop some chemistry;  keep building  a sustainable product through our G league and maybe someday we can sign a star or two, but it’s going to be a while 3 to 5 years before we make any noise unless the fo can pull off some incredible trades.

1 hour ago, Tank Vogel said:

Ayton is basically Vucevic until he learns to play defense. Doncic shot low 30s this year from an easier 3. There is no short term fix for the multitude of problems that we have.

Which is why we should be trying to make our current team incrementally better, instead of trying to see how many games we can lose every year. 

3 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Actually, Jjj might be the best case for "rookie to make the biggest positive impact" as he'd give us a center who would deter opponents from driving on him somewhat while also being able to catch a basketball and spot up.  Much like we've seen isaac impact games by filling the missing role of "guy who defends". 

yeah but JJJ has found himself in foul trouble more often than not

38 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

yeah but JJJ has found himself in foul trouble more often than not

Yeah there’s more than a couple red flags with him, but I can see how some can become enamored with him.  He’s like the Noah Vonleh of this years draft.

5 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

Yeah there’s more than a couple red flags with him, but I can see how some can become enamored with him.  He’s like the Noah Vonleh of this years draft.

Jackson has almost  triple the block rate and triple the box score plus minus and triple the made threes as vonleh.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

Goodness I hope not

6 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

I thought it was just me LOL. I've been watching all of the bottom teams and hoping... Ayton, JJJ, or Doncic would really boost this team quickly!

me too, I'd even add young to that and I think Augustin is the perfect small point guard to teach him the tricks of the trade

4 hours ago, Murphy13 said:

While I will admit JJJ did not have an eye catching freshman year, more than some have been enamored with him.  In fact  almost "all" have been enamored by him, "all" being NBA scouts and mock projection experts this entire year.  Vonley was a late lottery pick when he first declared and shot up some boards on individual workouts.  JJJ has been in the 3-5 range all year long because of his skill set that MSU did not utilize to it's fullest potential.  Rim protector extradinoaire, 3 point range, can handle the ball and drive, good first step, good FT shooter.  If we are at #4 and Doncic, Ayton, and Bagley are gone it is a no brainer that the pick should be JJJ or Bamba (and Bamba only if his workout is outstanding).  If we get JJJ frontcourt of JJJ, Gordon, and Isaac would be something special!!!

13 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Jackson has almost  triple the block rate and triple the box score plus minus and triple the made threes as vonleh.

They are different types of players, it was the intrigue and perception angle I was referring to.  

But jackson actually made 22 more threes than Vonleh, or barely over twice as many. Now he TOOK triple the amount of the 3’s as Vonleh, so there’s that I guess.  I thought we’ve already had an intervention about your  Modfacts4TW? Either way, arguing me over so few 3’s to begin with is silly.  Neither are likely going to be big time 3 threats in the league.  I like Jackson better than Vonleh, just not enough to take him where you think he’s going to go in this draft. 

9 hours ago, Originalticketholder said:

While I will admit JJJ did not have an eye catching freshman year, more than some have been enamored with him.  In fact  almost "all" have been enamored by him, "all" being NBA scouts and mock projection experts this entire year.  Vonley was a late lottery pick when he first declared and shot up some boards on individual workouts.  JJJ has been in the 3-5 range all year long because of his skill set that MSU did not utilize to it's fullest potential.  Rim protector extradinoaire, 3 point range, can handle the ball and drive, good first step, good FT shooter.  If we are at #4 and Doncic, Ayton, and Bagley are gone it is a no brainer that the pick should be JJJ or Bamba (and Bamba only if his workout is outstanding).  If we get JJJ frontcourt of JJJ, Gordon, and Isaac would be something special!!!

I haven’t done a good job explaining myself about him.  I think he is a really good player.  I would not take him over Bamba at all, Bamba has too many elite qualities.  I am split as to whether I would take him over Porter, dependent on workouts/etc...too much reward at #5 imo to not strongly consider Porter if he checks out.  At 6 I would begin seriously considering picking Jackson.  I think he has the tools to be a good player, but he will be a slow developing guy.  He did not improve this season.  He regressed when he got more attention.  That doesn’t mean he won’t turn  out great but it will take longer to see him through than other guys in his tier.  I personally think he should return to college and try to dominate lesser talent and be a top pick next year, which will earn him more long term money and likely less wasted rookie years on development, which will come with less pt.  He is not a plug and play talent.