Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

13 minutes ago, Justin Jaudon said:

We'd have to do quite a bit to end up 9th. Basically, every team with a possibility of catching us would have to. That's very unlikely. My guess, just based on averages, is that we'll end up 6th in the rankings. That's a difference of about 10% in chances of getting a 1 or 2 (my math may be wrong there; I'm a writer, Jim, not a mathematician). Not nothing, but not worth screaming over.

Yeah the 9th ship sailed when Fournier and Gordon went down.  Hypothetical if they stay out we have a pretty good chance at staying fourth

6 minutes ago, Gordon MVP said:

This stupid team can never win when they should or lose when they should 

That's why we should just play things out and see where we end up vs stressing over every solid quarter of basketball or yelling about bad losses.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Gordon MVP said:

This stupid team can never win when they should or lose when they should 

Now they have won too much games.  

Gordon is shooting an ugly 36 percent on isolations, and he isn't using them to create drive-and-kick opportunities; his assist rate has barely budged. Add it up, and the Magic are scoring 0.68 points per possession out of Gordon isolations, a mark that ranks 146th among 154 guys who have recorded at least 50 such plays, per Second Spectrum.

Gordon has always been most effective when he channels his inner Draymond Green: defend like hell across every position, set screens, pop 3s, and spray passes when defenses collapse on his rim runs. He doesn't seem to have much interest in being that player.

Then again, the Magic have not provided him with an environment to grow into that kind of player. Before Elfrid Payton was traded to Phoenix, Gordon spent a ton of floor time with Payton, and defenders duck way under picks for Payton -- meaning they can stay home on everyone else, including Gordon. Orlando's centers supercede Gordon in the screen-setting hierarchy, and one of them -- Bismack Biyombo -- clogs Gordon's natural habitat. They famously shoehorned Gordon onto the wing after somehow thinking it was a good idea to splurge on both Biyombo and Serge Ibaka -- with Nikola Vucevic already around.

Have the Magic ever grasped a coherent identity -- even for just a half-dozen games -- since the Dwight Howard trade?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22778687/zach-lowe-10-things-like-including-kyrie-irving-nba

20 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

This is fair.  Gordon's his own worst enemy sometimes trying to be something he's not yet. But these are either growing pains that he's going through now for the benefit of when he starts hitting these more or bad habits that are preventing him from being his most effective self.  

27 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

This is fair.  Gordon's his own worst enemy sometimes trying to be something he's not yet. But these are either growing pains that he's going through now for the benefit of when he starts hitting these more or bad habits that are preventing him from being his most effective self.  

All that money on sports science and developmental staff. Does it really require an article to be written for the Magic to wake up? Eye test alone makes me (most of us here) a better coach than Vogel.

Simmons needs to come off the bench.

Mario-Biz need to start together.

Vuc needs to come off the bench.

Those 3 changes alone would completely change the dynamic of this team and make us more effective. Too late now. Tank away. 

26 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I really like Gordon and agree with your 2nd sentence.  Great to have these expectations as he finishes year 3 especially with how young he still is.  It will be interesting to watch him as we put other better players around him.  Saw a glimpse of his potential against the Lakers in the 1st quarter when he put up 14 points and dominated.  Hope to see more of that

21 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Yeah the 9th ship sailed when Fournier and Gordon went down.  Hypothetical if they stay out we have a pretty good chance at staying fourth

Injuries have been the primary reason we are where we are and have killed us this year.  I know all teams deal with them but not in the way our lineup has been affected.  I would love 4th just as payback for the type of year we have had to endure.  Psychologically it would be a boost!  And taht would mean Brooklyn (Cleveland) would be behind us.  Worst  potential win left in our schedule would be against the Brooklyn Cavaliers!!!

2 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

I'd like to HOPE that he knows this team needs more so he's trying to be more but our lack of identity definitely does not help a player of his makeup.