Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

You guys can keep arguing about how we can make our team worse, hoping against hope to repeat history by drafting another Shaq and rooting for the team to lose every game.  

I’d rather focus on making our team better. 

• Downvote 3

23 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

You guys can keep arguing about how we can make our team worse, hoping against hope to repeat history by drafting another Shaq and rooting for the team to lose every game.  

I’d rather focus on making our team better. 

Especially when it's pointless to tank for fourth in a draft with no Shaq.  

35 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

True but I'd sure love a shot at Doncic or Ayton. Ayton is no Shaq but nobody knows what he will become. I know from our history that we have been our best with a dominant big man.

9 hours ago, JJZFL said:

No argument.  I was talking in my above post about the first 3 years of Hennigan's tenure. We weren't trying to tank since then, but it turns out it's harder to "turn off" then people thought.

Regarding your point about winning games at the end of the season, what would you differently?  You can't tell the players or coaches to try to lose.

You never have to tell anybody to lose.  You have to have a strategy which starts with the FO deciding if, this year, not every year, is it in our best interest for the future of this team to have a top 3 pick?  If the answer is yes then you get together with your coaches (head coach), not your players, and devise the best way to achieve that goal.  It may be how you distribute minutes, how and when you substitute, how you deal with injuries, how you manage game situations. etc.  Tonight Vogel rode the starters, by giving them a lot of minutes, to a victory.  If that is our strategy and we play like this the rest of the year I could see us sliding into pick 9 (Knicks are bad and lost 8 straight, may win one more, maybe!!).  The one fact that cannot be denied is that picks 1, 2, and 3 in the draft produce more All-Stars, by far,  than all the other picks combined.  In our rebuild we have had one pick in that range (and traded him away).  If we choose to try to win games the rest of this year and succeed in those moral victories and slip to pick 8 or 9 we will probably get a decent player, unlikely to be an All-Star;  one who will take 2-3 years to develop and contribute.  AND then I will feel fairly certain we will be back in the lottery again next year, 2019 for the 7th consecutive year.  I think that would be the current longest streak of all NBA teams!!  The word "futility" come to mind!!!  Hope I am wrong but it looks like we will win our way out of a great pick!

1 hour ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

And here comes the meaningless win that takes us from bottom 4 to bottom 6.

Its this magical move that turns Porzingas into Hezonja....Embiid to Dante Exum/Marcus Smart... here we go selling next years hope for season ticket holders. Looking forward to another 25 win season in 2019.

45 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I am OK with 4th and maybe get lucky and move up.  No Shaq but here are some really good players at that position that will make us a much better team.  Doncic, Ayton, Bagley, JJJ, maybe even Porter or Bamba all have a pretty good chance to develop into the best player on our roster.  Young will be either really good or not at all.  I see us headed towards pick 8 or 9.

7 minutes ago, the notorious S.A.C. said:

Its this magical move that turns Porzingas into Hezonja....Embiid to Dante Exum/Marcus Smart... here we go selling next years hope for season ticket holders. Looking forward to another 25 win season in 2019.

We would have had to lose the final 26 games in 2015 to get porzingis and the final 20 games in 2014 to get embiid.  That's not realistic.  Your narrative that we went on a late season run that killed our chances never actually happened.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

We would have had to lose the final 26 games in 2015 to get porzingis and the final 20 games in 2014 to get embiid.  That's not realistic.  Your narrative that we went on a late season run that killed our chances never actually happened.  

NY was 25 games behind us in 2015?