Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

8 hours ago, Ibn Battuta said:

Vuc is still better. You want change for change's sake. But I don't see the logic in playing a worse player. Birch got a lot of burn the last 6 or so weeks when Vuc was out. If he had some huge breakout games than I'd concede but he didn't even do that. In the games he played I think he showed he's a good high energy bench guy. nothing more. 

This is so wrong. All of us here want a change and my logic is simple. Play a guy that we have currently in our roster over a player that will likely not be next year. See what we have in him.  Play him next to Isaac and Gordon. See how our defense is with him in the court. See how our offense flow w/o Vuch. That's it. Simple. This in not just a" change for change's sake". 

3 hours ago, magicdoc1 said:

Have YOU see him play? That is the main reason we need to play him more.. I am looking forward to see him playing  next to Isaac and Gordon. See what we have with the trio defensively. Who knows, our transition offense can improve as well. I just want to see that.  

2 years ago we had a very similar guy in our roster and we let him go. Birch is till 25 years old and think his potential is even greater. 

I am not saying he is a starting star quality Center but it is better to play him at this point than continue use Vuch and Biz.

I do agree that Vuch is much better than him Offensively. But, again, I am intrigued and looking forward to see what we have in him playing next to Isaac and Gordon. Is that too much to ask? 

You keep bringing Mario Situation over and keep comparing players. But we were all in the same situation with Mario and his development and playing time. The reason with Mario was not playing was that, according to some, he needed to mature and slow down his game a little. Well, he did that with playing time. Now, he is likely gone next year. Birch is 25 and is mature enough to get some burn. We are failing him by not playing him. 

If he doesnt play to our expectetion, as long as he get enought consistent playing time, I will be the firs one her to accept his failure and we can move on. I just need to see it. 

You admit he’s not a starting center but still want him to play with the starters? Lol. You’re the one who tried to compare him to Hezonja, citing playing time and development. With your logic you can justify giving Purvis more burn even though nobody will disagree he’s probably not an NBA player. I know everyone likes to crap on the coaching staff but Vogel and co. see these guys every day during practice. They’ve been here roughly two years now. There is nothing to suggest they’ve made some serious blunder wrt to evaluating a player on our roster. And don’t mix this up with the roster being so awful and terrible to begin with. 

UConn has parted ways with Kevin Ollie, as the school announced it has "initiated disciplinary procedures" to fire the head coach.

Two days after the Huskies' season ended with an opening-round loss to SMU in the American tournament, the school announced Ollie's contract was being terminated "for just cause."

"It is unfortunate that this decision became necessary," athletic director David Benedict said in a statement. "As with all of our programs, we hold men's basketball to the highest standards. We will begin a national search immediately to identify our next head coach."

The school announced in January that it was the subject of an NCAA investigation but did not provide specific details. Hearst Connecticut Media cited unidentified sources saying the inquiry was related to recruiting.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22712868/uconn-huskies-parts-ways-head-coach-kevin-ollie-citing-just-cause

Wasn't Ollie a popular choice here for coach after Vaughn was fired?

5 hours ago, magicdoc1 said:

Draft position has nothing to do with development and yes, playing time is essential to build confidence and most importantly experience. You are again comparing players. That is not what we need to do here. Mario and Birch are completely different but since you like to compare players. Lets talk about SImmons then. Undrafted player who got a shot in SA and was given the oportunity to PLAY. He is now playing ahead of Mario. So, again, Draft postion or player hype has nothing to do with development. It is all about playing time. Birch can be good for us and not playing him will be detrimental. In my opinion, we need to sign him into an extension sooner than later. I dont want the Magic organization to pull a Dedmon like move on Birch. 

you just picked the exception. for every Simms there are tens, probably hundreds of Briante Weber's that get playing time and don't stick around. 

and yes draft position DOES matter. Or do you think NBA scouts ignore these things? 

58 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

You admit he’s not a starting center but still want him to play with the starters? Lol. You’re the one who tried to compare him to Hezonja, citing playing time and development. With your logic you can justify giving Purvis more burn even though nobody will disagree he’s probably not an NBA player. I know everyone likes to crap on the coaching staff but Vogel and co. see these guys every day during practice. They’ve been here roughly two years now. There is nothing to suggest they’ve made some serious blunder wrt to evaluating a player on our roster. And don’t mix this up with the roster being so awful and terrible to begin with. 

Buddy, You are not understanding. Lol. But Is ok. We just disagree in the matter. 

I am not saying he should be starting( although I will be ok with that). All I am saying is that he should be in the court playing to evaluate what we have in him playing next to Isaac and Gordon. 

Isaac is not a starter, yet I want to see him out there playing so he can develop properly. Or you are against that as well? Lol.  I think Isaac will be great and he is yet to put the numbers we expect from him next year. Why is Birch any different in your book? 

I want us to play players that will be in our roster next year. Simple.  

12 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

you just picked the exception. for every Simms there are tens, probably hundreds of Briante Weber's that get playing time and don't stick around. 

and yes draft position DOES matter. Or do you think NBA scouts ignore these things? 

Ok, so now you are comparing Briante Weber to Birch?? Lol. 

Have you seen the draft every year? Scouts are the reason why Birch is in our tema this year. 

Draft Position doesnt really mean anything if you dont play them or develop them properly. Do you want to take a guess how many top 15 first round players are still With the same team who selected them? Do you want to take a guess on how many are still in the league vs late first rounders, 2nd rounders or non-deafted players?. You will be surprise. 

1 hour ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

Yes. He lost a lot of money in the process. What did he do to let him go with a just cause clause? 

14 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

Ok, so now you are comparing Briante Weber to Birch?? Lol. 

Have you seen the draft every year? Scouts are the reason why Birch is in our tema this year. 

Draft Position doesnt really mean anything if you dont play them or develop them properly. Do you want to take a guess how many top 15 first round players are still With the same team who selected them? Do you want to take a guess on how many are still in the league vs late first rounders, 2nd rounders or non-deafted players?. You will be surprise. 

again with the exceptions. why don't you look at what draft position the majority of good to great nba players fall under. Scouts aren't routinely missing future all stars in the 2nd round of the draft. Anyway i'm done with Birch. He's really not that great a player; i've probably never spent this much time talking about a bench/end of the rotation player. 

4 hours ago, Ibn Battuta said:

again with the exceptions. why don't you look at what draft position the majority of good to great nba players fall under. Scouts aren't routinely missing future all stars in the 2nd round of the draft. Anyway i'm done with Birch. He's really not that great a player; i've probably never spent this much time talking about a bench/end of the rotation player. 

Birch brought a lot more than I thought he would but the over-riding point here isn't Birch.  The over-riding point is how bad we look using the Vuch-Biyombo rotation.  We are probably better off with almost anyone else.  Remember, it's not the individual stats that ultimately matter, it's how the team performs as a whole.

19 hours ago, Ibn Battuta said:

you know he only recorded one double double during this stretch without Vucevic, right?

He literally averaged 11 mins a game. What player post a double double while playing 11 mins? With consistent and ample playing time I think he can be or at the very least be close to a double double guy every night. Again I don't think he would be a world beater but he would be solid and do his job. I like him just not as much as others and not as little as you. 

18 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

He literally averaged 11 mins a game. What player post a double double while playing 11 mins? 

that's his mpg for the season, not the stretch when vucevic was out. Way to misrepresent that. in the 14 game stretch he averaged about 17 mins,  more than 1.5 times his season average.