Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

8 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

So how is frank developing birch lately?

He's not playing because he's a depth chart guy, but Frank could be developing him in training. 

Should the team limit Vucevic's and Biyombo's minutes or rest one of them each night to give Birch more minutes? Sure, maybe we've got a diamond in the rough and all he needs is an opportunity.

But at the same time maybe Frank has seen enough of Birch to realize that he's not a future starter and is likely to be a role player off the bench or depth chart guy? For example, Willie Reed was impressive for Miami last season. His per36 stats are actually quite impressive and like Birch they suggest he could do more with a greater opportunity, but sometimes players like that remain in limited roles, and it appears Birch will be doing the same.

3 hours ago, Mike1989 said:

He's not playing because he's a depth chart guy, but Frank could be developing him in training. 

Should the team limit Vucevic's and Biyombo's minutes or rest one of them each night to give Birch more minutes? Sure, maybe we've got a diamond in the rough and all he needs is an opportunity.

But at the same time maybe Frank has seen enough of Birch to realize that he's not a future starter and is likely to be a role player off the bench or depth chart guy? For example, Willie Reed was impressive for Miami last season. His per36 stats are actually quite impressive and like Birch they suggest he could do more with a greater opportunity, but sometimes players like that remain in limited roles, and it appears Birch will be doing the same.

And we haven’t seen enough of Vuch and Biyombo to recognize that they aren’t our future either?  Nor are they helping us much in the present.  At least the Magic are a heck of a lot more fun to watch when they’re all feeding off Birch’s energy.  And on offense, Birch is like Duncan when compared to Biyombo.  Have you seen any of Biyombo’s line drive jumpers recently?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JJZFL said:

And we haven’t seen enough of Vuch and Biyombo to recognize that they aren’t our future either?  Nor are they helping us much in the present.  At least the Magic are a heck of a lot more fun to watch when they’re all feeding off Birch’s energy.  And on offense, Birch is like Duncan when compared to Biyombo.  Have you seen any of Biyombo’s line drive jumpers recently?

You still have to play your best players. “A lot more fun” is not a legitimate reason to play a lesser player over another. No legitimate coach (or one who wants to be respected by his team) will do what you’re suggesting. 

1 hour ago, JJZFL said:

Maybe they have no future here, but like it or not they will continue to be featured over Birch. I'd rather see more of Birch as well to see if he can be part of our future, but the team isn't going to bench them in favor of Birch. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not Biz fan. I didn't want us to sign him in the first place. But they're likely paying him 17 million for the next two years unless they can find a taker for his contract. So we better get used to seeing him! 

2 hours ago, JJZFL said:

Birch >> Biyombo >>>> Vuc

Vuc is a net atrocity to this team. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike1989 said:

Maybe they have no future here, but like it or not they will continue to be featured over Birch. I'd rather see more of Birch as well to see if he can be part of our future, but the team isn't going to bench them in favor of Birch. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not Biz fan. I didn't want us to sign him in the first place. But they're likely paying him 17 million for the next two years unless they can find a taker for his contract. So we better get used to seeing him! 

Hope so, it will help us tanking this season to get a higher draft pick.    But you do not have to bench them just find more minutes for Birch.  He has shown enough to try him in different scenario's.  We have nothing to lose and may find out he does make us better.  We will probably lose Mario by not playing him.  Learn from your mistakes.

3 hours ago, JJZFL said:

to be fair, Biz makes a lot of those jumpers 

19 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

to be fair, Biz makes a lot of those jumpers 

When he doesnt travel before hand, he shoots 32% from 3-10 feet.

5 hours ago, Ibn Battuta said:

You still have to play your best players. “A lot more fun” is not a legitimate reason to play a lesser player over another. No legitimate coach (or one who wants to be respected by his team) will do what you’re suggesting. 

Our record in the 14 games prior to Vuch coming back was 6-8.  How’s our record since he’s been back?  2-5 or 2-6?  We weren’t winning with our starters before they were injured and we’re not winning with them since they returned.  Who’s to say who the lesser player is?   When the team is performing better with the younger and more energetic player in, and are also more fun to watch, explain to me again why no legitimate coach would give the younger player a chance?

• Upvote 1