Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

2 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

The thing is prior to having his extension turned down he wasn't lighting any fires and most people/teams around the league were questioning if he'd even be in the NBA next year. I hope we somehow manage to sign him for a 1 year deal then a great contract the following year. Although we can't offer as much as other teams we have no state taxes and arguably the best weather in the country. Maybe if he's offered the starting position he may stay?

Who cares? You take the bet on him based on the potential he had (sparingly) shown. It is a "cheap" bet to take.

52 minutes ago, Odin said:

While sometimes Mario tries to force some fancy stuff, he is also probably the most creative passer on the team. There seem to be multiple passes a game now from him where you just look at the pass and think "wow". Unfortunately, teammates are not always on the same page (I think he had a quick one touch pass to Mack last game that Mack wasn't ready for but would have put Mack right under the basket, but might have the wrong player). And his chemistry with Biyombo is unreal.

Honestly, perhaps the best passer in the league who is only averaging 1 assist per game (and I don't really mean to be insulting by saying that). I think the only reasons he doesn't have more is that (1) he often is expected to play off the ball in catch and shoot or give and go situations, and (2) his dribble, while better and more confident than the beginning of the year, still is suspect so he struggles to get into the defense and initiate like a point guard.

Just because he’s a good/ fancy passer does not make him a good playmaker. Not saying that he isn’t, but we have a small sample size that shows he can be a good, or solid playmaker. Hopefully he does, and does it on the magic even though that’s very unlikely. 

1 hour ago, Odin said:

Who cares? You take the bet on him based on the potential he had (sparingly) shown. It is a "cheap" bet to take.

At that point it seemed like zero teams wanted to take a cheap bet on him or we would have traded him for a 2nd or something. I think the whole league was wrong on him and had him clearly labeled as a bust!

That is what pisses me off the most, that Vogel who is supposed to be this "great coach" couldn't see the potential that a lot of us on here seen from Mario his first year. Better believe that Weltman and Handmond asked Vogel his opinion about Mario's extension. Everytime Mario got some minutes he would get yanked out of the game after 1 mistake while other players played no D and took as many shots as they want.

People on this board gave up in Mario as well... Which is sad and makes me question the basketball IQ or at least your vision lol.

Truthfully I knew from his first summer league game when he threw down a viscious dunk that he had what it took and then the biggest example I had that he would be a good player is at the rookie all star game when he went out there and just had fun and was scoring at will. It's All about confidence for an offensive player.

3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

So there's rumors that we're hiring Jerry Stackhouse to coach this summer

Well, we ARE tied for the worst record in the league so we can't do any worse.  We need a guy that will sit guys that don't play D and will work good rotations for the rest and is not afraid to give minutes to rookies.

I must say for Vogel being touted as a defensive coach we sure don’t translate that on the court. Granted we have young and marginal defensive talent, but we’re pretty bad!, I expected being rated better in spite of injuries. So yes, I could see questions arise. 

2 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

So there's rumors that we're hiring Jerry Stackhouse to coach this summer

I'm all for it 100%

34 minutes ago, Magicpassion said:

I must say for Vogel being touted as a defensive coach we sure don’t translate that on the court. Granted we have young and marginal defensive talent, but we’re pretty bad!, I expected being rated better in spite of injuries. So yes, I could see questions arise. 

Totally checked out on Vogel

5 hours ago, TRU BELIEVER said:

I just gotta say that it pisses me off to know that I was right about Mario all along. If you go back and look at any of my post about him, I kept saying that Vogel was an idiot for not giving him any playing time and that if your not using him send him to the D league to gain some confidence. Now he will probably walk away and we get nothing. When Mario is on the court lately he looks like the bes player out there on our team. 

100% agree and I said that before the season also.  My contention was that how do you draft someone 5th and then never give him the opportunity before you give up on him.   It is now easy to say we should have extended him but, at the time, I can understand, not agree, why it was done.  Teams make mistakes, as we are all too familiar with.  And rarely do you get a chance to fix those mistakes.   But, I hope, we are at least trying to fix that mistake  and resign him.  Since he is unrestricted, and there are rules that I do not fully know that may hamper conversations we can have, my suggestion would be to be honest.  How about Weltmann being honest, and telling him, Hey I made a mistake and I wish I would have extended your contract. I took bad advice (assuming he did) and made a decision I regret.  We think you can be an important part of our future and I would love for you to be a part of that future.  I hope, after the season, we can make that happen.  Perhaps Mario will still sign somewhere else,  But I would start with being honest!