Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

7 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

They should take their draft pick away too! That would put us 1 step closer LOL

Actually you are absolutely correct.  Same way they should have not only fined the Lakers for tampering, as they did, but also ban them from signing those players.  Just think you just fined a BILLIONARE $600,000--chump change that he probably already made back today.  Anybody think the Mavs are not going to tank now?  Cuban just won't say anything.  Cubqn playing the odds that he will not be fined twice!  Once again I bet on Cuban vs. Silver.  Good odds Mavs end up with a top 3 pick.  Tankathon for the ages has just started!!!

2 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Yeah.  The only way you can get the extra year and bird right salary increases is if you stay with your team.  You can only sign and trade for the amount the player can get through a contract signed without rights

so there is no incentive, for the teams that have the cap space to sign him. But teams that are over the cap can still acquire him via SnT. 

7 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

so there is no incentive, for the teams that have the cap space to sign him. But teams that are over the cap can still acquire him via SnT. 

Yeah so basically if he really wants to go to a team and a team really wants to sign him and we want to be the team that takes on the bad salary plus draft picks to facilitate that deal we can do that.  

4 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

You start Gordon and Isaac. You finish with Gordon and Isaac.  Isaac gets all backup 4 minutes in between. 

You nailed it.  The only consideration for the Magic is whether Isaac plays with Gordon as a 3 or a 5.  I prefer to experiment with Isaac as a 3, which, if it works, makes  Isaac a nightmare matchup for almost all teams.  Isaac is already a  more accomplished shooter coming in!  Isaac probably could play some limited 5 in isolated small ball scenario's.  I want to see Isaac and Gordon together!

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

I don't think we keep him.  

But honestly we can't play ross, Fournier, Simmons, hezonja, Gordon,  and Isaac starters minutes.  There's 144 minutes available.  If Gordon, Fournier, and Isaac each take 32 mpg that leaves 16 mpg on average for the other 3. 

I have read Hezonja has made some very complimentary remarks about the magic.  Do you think we will not keep him because his play will earn him a better deal somewhere else?  If so good for him and disappointing for us.  That said if FO sees it that way also I do not think I would be playing him at all!

Just now, Originalticketholder said:

I have read Hezonja has made some very complimentary remarks about the magic.  Do you think we will not keep him because his play will earn him a better deal somewhere else?  If so good for him and disappointing for us.  That said if FO sees it that way also I do not think I would be playing him at all!

I thought we'd be able to sneak him through free agency when he was averaging 11 ppg over a stretch.  But this recent stretch is making it hard to expect

33 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

I agree. We should have a discussion with him and if he is leaving we should not play him. #1 it hurts the tank and #2 we are showcasing him for some other team and getting nothing back. I wish he would have broken out BEFORE the extension deadline instead of after.

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Yeah so basically if he really wants to go to a team and a team really wants to sign him and we want to be the team that takes on the bad salary plus draft picks to facilitate that deal we can do that.  

you know, the one team that might do that would be the Cavs. AG would make their front court completely switchable on defense, and as long as Gordon keeps up his 3pt % be a complete nightmare on offense. They would have a 3pt shooter at every position. Their lottery player (as long as that guy make sense) and their salary like TT or JR would make a lot of sense for us too. Then you have Biz, that player, and Augustin all expiring the same time. We could be huge 2020 players in FA with a core of Isaac, our pick, their pick, and whoever we pick next offseason. 

2 hours ago, Ibn Battuta said:

you know, the one team that might do that would be the Cavs. AG would make their front court completely switchable on defense, and as long as Gordon keeps up his 3pt % be a complete nightmare on offense. They would have a 3pt shooter at every position. Their lottery player (as long as that guy make sense) and their salary like TT or JR would make a lot of sense for us too. Then you have Biz, that player, and Augustin all expiring the same time. We could be huge 2020 players in FA with a core of Isaac, our pick, their pick, and whoever we pick next offseason. 

I'd rather just keep Gordon

Is there a need to trade Gordon or Isaac?  I'm missing the boat here.  They can easily be on the court at the same time.

6 minutes ago, ML6 said:

Is there a need to trade Gordon or Isaac?  I'm missing the boat here.  They can easily be on the court at the same time.

They can if Isaac's best position is SF and not PF. If he's better suited to PF duties and considered to have more upside, then trading Gordon to get another pick or talent to upgrade a different position (e.g. PG) could be an option.

Also, it depends how they want this team to play. Do they want to play with a similar style to what we've been doing without Gordon and Vucevic, ie prioritising ball and player movement and shooting? Or do we want to try and smother teams with defense and play that grit and grind style? That could be a factor since we might want to use Isaac at PF, with Fournier, Hezonja (if he's extended) or Doncic (if we draft him) since that would give us a number of shooters and capable ball handlers. Flip side is if we add Bamba to Gordon and Isaac, that gives us a front court with a lot of defensive potential. 

Another factor could be whether they want to invest max money in Gordon. He's improved a lot this season but remains injury prone. If we pay big money to him and he remains injury prone that could make him difficult to trade later on. So his injury record needs consideration, can he overcome his injuries and play a full season? Or will his durability always be a question mark? If it's the former, extend him. If it's the latter, take calls to see what you can get and decide which has more value, the trade package or extending and sticking with Gordon.