Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

43 minutes ago, ML6 said:

You don't think that LeBron would be an exception? 

The greatest player of all time is currently an owner of a team and he is struggling to find talent in the free agency market.

Just now, magicdoc1 said:

The greatest player of all time is currently an owner of a team and he is struggling to find talent in the free agency market.

Yeah, I mean I get the track record of others but you can't really use that to say it won't work in another specific case.  I just think that throughout the course of his career, LeBron has proven to be exceptional across the board.  And I'm proposing this mainly for teams that don't have much to lose.  If we are still horrific in 5-7 years, would anybody really think that bringing LeBron in could possibly make the situation worse?

Certainly the benefits that I'm proposing could also work against him.  For instance, would understanding the game to the degree that he does really be teachable?  Or is it just an innate thing that he can't really convey?  Can you show players how to see plays develop multiple steps ahead?  Could be a case of the master composer trying to teach 3rd grade music class.  Would his leadership always bring a younger group together?  Would the FO allow him to be involved in decision making?  We've seen how certain relationships have splintered when there were "creative differences" with him.

All I know is we've never really seen a leader or a player like him.  I can't see a lot of teams passing on the opportunity to at least give it a chance if he makes it clear he is interested in such a path.

2 hours ago, ML6 said:

Unrelated:

I realized while watching the ASG that I am going to really miss watching LeBron play ball when he hangs it up in a few years.  Probably won't ever see another like him.  Then I started thinking how any smart team should currently be planning for that day to come and should be ready to offer him a blank check to coach their team the minute he retires.  Getting maybe the biggest basketball genius & best team leader to ever live is enough already.  But that would also be the most significant free agent draw possible -- players coming into the league now have idolized him their entire lives and would line up to play for him.   

Probably won't matter b/c knowing him, he has had a plan set in his mind for years regarding what he's going to do when he's done playing.

He's going to showbiz in some way.  He wants to be a businessman, not be a coach who will die from some form of heart disease at 65.  Enjoy him while he lasts because the only thing he's going to do in basketball after retiring is be an ambassador to the sport and become a potential partial owner once he earns enough cash outside of basketball.

• Like 1

Just now, Murphy13 said:

He's going to showbiz in some way.  He wants to be a businessman, not be a coach who will die from some form of heart disease at 65.  Enjoy him while he lasts because the only thing he's going to do in basketball after retiring is be an ambassador to the sport and become a potential partial owner once he earns enough cash outside of basketball.

This is probably true.

49 minutes ago, ML6 said:

Yeah, I mean I get the track record of others but you can't really use that to say it won't work in another specific case.  I just think that throughout the course of his career, LeBron has proven to be exceptional across the board.  And I'm proposing this mainly for teams that don't have much to lose.  If we are still horrific in 5-7 years, would anybody really think that bringing LeBron in could possibly make the situation worse?

Certainly the benefits that I'm proposing could also work against him.  For instance, would understanding the game to the degree that he does really be teachable?  Or is it just an innate thing that he can't really convey?  Can you show players how to see plays develop multiple steps ahead?  Could be a case of the master composer trying to teach 3rd grade music class.  Would his leadership always bring a younger group together?  Would the FO allow him to be involved in decision making?  We've seen how certain relationships have splintered when there were "creative differences" with him.

All I know is we've never really seen a leader or a player like him.  I can't see a lot of teams passing on the opportunity to at least give it a chance if he makes it clear he is interested in such a path.

I don't necessarily think it won't work. I'm disputing the fact that elite nba players understand the game better than the field.  So LeBron might end up being a great coach or a great gm but not because of LeBron the player.   Like Jerry west is a great gm and was a great player and Jordan is a terrible gm/owner and the best player.  Jason Kidd was a bad coach great player.  Doc Rivers is a great coach, terrible gm, ok player.  Steve Kerr was an ok player, ok gm, great coach.  Marc Jackson was a great player terrible coach.  Reggie Miller was a good player, often can't describe what he's watching as an analyst.  I just don't think there's a correlation between playing career and coaching career/ management career.  

4 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I don't necessarily think it won't work. I'm disputing the fact that elite nba players understand the game better than the field.  So LeBron might end up being a great coach or a great gm but not because of LeBron the player.   Like Jerry west is a great gm and was a great player and Jordan is a terrible gm/owner and the best player.  Jason Kidd was a bad coach great player.  Doc Rivers is a great coach, terrible gm, ok player.  Steve Kerr was an ok player, ok gm, great coach.  Marc Jackson was a great player terrible coach.  Reggie Miller was a good player, often can't describe what he's watching as an analyst.  I just don't think there's a correlation between playing career and coaching career/ management career.  

Yeah and conversely I'm not saying it certainly will work.  Your examples are all correct and well-taken.  Just feels like something some team should take a flier on if he's interested because it could pay big dividends, even if just from a relevancy standpoint. 

The Orlando Magic will have some decisions to make as this summer approaches, with forward Aaron Gordon as one of the most coveted restricted free agents for this 2018 offseason, and one that is peaking at the right time.

According to Sean Deveney of The Sporting News, teams like the Phoenix Suns could make a run at Gordon, who played for the University of Arizona for one season, prior to being drafted in 2014. Others like the rebuilding Dallas Mavericks could look for an athletic forward to pair up with rookie Dennis Smith Jr. and Harrison Barnes, taking off some of the toll of having a franchise legend like Dirk Nowitzki retire in the near future.

“The Pacers intend to investigate restricted free agents, too, hoping to add young talent to an improving roster,” wrote Deveney. “Still, if any team makes a formal offer, the Magic can match it.”

Gordon has made the most of his contract year, and while he’s improve steadily every year, he’s blossomed into a promising building block with averages of 18.4 points, 8.3 rebounds, and improving on his 3-point percentage with a career-high 34.6 percent.

The Bay Area native will need to show consistency for the rest of the season after suffering a hip flexor injury in January — if he can show that, it won’t be long until teams extend offers for his services.

Phoenix, Dallas, and Indiana all have the cap room to make an enticing offer, and this new, revamped Magic front office comprised of Jeff Weltman and John Hammond “ideally would wipe the slate clean” — already trading away their promising point guard Elfrid Payton for a second-round pick.

If the Magic allow it, these three teams will be in the mix for a battle royale to make the juiciest offer for the 22-year-old come July.

https://clutchpoints.com/magic-rumors-suns-mavs-pacers-expected-to-make-a-run-at-aaron-gordon-this-offseason/

1 hour ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

Appreciate The link. I just domt see any of those teams offering him max money. Phoenix has too many young big guys( marquese, Bender) and Jackson as their future SF.  It is not ideal to add a max player when they are truly in need of a PG, not to mention they have several first round picks this year. 

Dallas might be an option but they need to figure out what are they going to do with Dirk first. Barnes and Gordon is not a good combination. They are more in need for a center, SG and SF if they keep playing Barnes as A PF. I just dont see Cuban signing him to a max contract and waiting for the magic to match while other teams continue to sign other needed FA’s.

Indiana is also an option but they have Young and Sabonis. 

I see him staying.

It would be interesting to know what management thinks about AG and Isaac. Do they think Isaac is our PF of the future? Do they want to play them together? How many of you would trade AG for the player or pick that would be Ayton, Doncic, or Bagley?

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

It would be interesting to know what management thinks about AG and Isaac. Do they think Isaac is our PF of the future? Do they want to play them together? How many of you would trade AG for the player or pick that would be Ayton, Doncic, or Bagley?

We cant trade Gordon.