Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

7 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

My concern with Embiid is that he is injury prone and I am Not sure about his longevity in this league.

He might be more talented than Towns but I still pick Towns over him just because of that.

yeah that's always a fair point

21 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

My concern with Embiid is that he is injury prone and I am Not sure about his longevity in this league.

He might be more talented than Towns but I still pick Towns over him just because of that.

I’d take either tbh.  At what point is AG considered injury prone?

17 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

For me is all about the type of injuries. AG is fine. No major injuries we need to be concern. When it comes to Embiid it is a completely different story. 

He missed 2 seasons due to the foot injury with two significant surgeries.

He also missed another significant time last year due to knee problems which eventually required surgery. There has been also concerns  when it comes to his back. To the point that when the sixers signed him they included an injury protection clause For his foot AND BACK.  That is what I call injury prone. ( 2 foot surgeries with 2 year recovery, 1 knee surgery and apparent Back problems).

Gordon is not even close. 

31 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

Aaron played 80 games last year and 78 the year prior.  I think you're injury prone when the 60 game or less seasons significantly outweigh the 70+  game seasons. And i think the 61-69 game seasons are kind of a grey area because Anthony Davis played his first four seasons in this range and i wouldn't really consider him injury prone. 

So if Gordon comes back and plays the rest of the season and finished with 64 games played then thats fine.  47, 78, 80, 64 is a pretty typical first four years.  But if he plays something like 58 games next year then i think its not wrong to start that conversation.  

43 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

For me is all about the type of injuries. AG is fine. No major injuries we need to be concern. When it comes to Embiid it is a completely different story. 

He missed 2 seasons due to the foot injury with two significant surgeries.

He also missed another significant time last year due to knee problems which eventually required surgery. There has been also concerns  when it comes to his back. To the point that when the sixers signed him they included an injury protection clause For his foot AND BACK.  That is what I call injury prone. ( 2 foot surgeries with 2 year recovery, 1 knee surgery and apparent Back problems).

Gordon is not even close. 

This is my concern with Porter. I know a lot of people that have had back surgery but I don't no ANY that were 1 and done so they needed more surgery and treatments. None of them play basketball which of course is very physically demanding on your back. He would be considered the highest risk in the draft in my opinion and could possibly get us as little playing time as Grant Hill did.

4 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

This is my concern with Porter. I know a lot of people that have had back surgery but I don't no ANY that were 1 and done so they needed more surgery and treatments. None of them play basketball which of course is very physically demanding on your back. He would be considered the highest risk in the draft in my opinion and could possibly get us as little playing time as Grant Hill did.

He's either oden (doesn't really play), roy (plays well but early retirement), or he's completely fine.  He's definitely not worth the risk in the top 4 but eventually rolling the dice makes sense.  

Yeah I think for a team that is in pretty good shape he'd be worth the risk top 10. We on the other hand need someone that is good enough to play NOW and make a difference on our team. I think Isaac can be our designated injury prone guy and we need to get a guy that isn't.

13 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Its not even really about identifying players.  Every draft theres 20 or so decent bets for nba players in the second round and only something like 5 of them turn into long term nba players.  But that's what's great about having multiple second rounders, you get multiple chances at finding those players and no financial commitment. You draft an interesting guy and find out he sucks after summer league, training camp, and preseason? Whatever, just cut him.  But they're zero risk only reward players and with two way contracts I'm still kinda shocked we traded it for nothing

Great point and another reason that tanking  by Philly (who truly tanked) and the way they did it was a brilliant strategy.  It is not just the  high 1st round players they received (getting a better chance to draft a franchise player) but the maneuverability it also provides.  Philly has been aggressive, has even traded some of those  high picks for other assets.  This year when Philly will make the playoffs and we will not, Philly will have two first round picks (currently 10 and 17) AND four 2nd round picks PLUS $28 million in cap space, more opportunity to get players who will help.  I am optimistic about our new FO, with the moves they are making, even handcuffed by the Hennigan debacle, taht we are heading in the right direction.  I think they have made good evaluations (the Hezonja one being the exception--should have extended him for $5 million), with limited money signed Simmons and Birch, tried Payne and jettisoned him when it did not work.  Unfortunately cap space a year or two away.  But there is no benefit to winning our way out of a good draft pick this year even though that will probably happen.  8-10 teams possibly in the tank mode this year and we are better than most of the other teams.  Great year (sarcasm) for Silver (who I think made the process worse) to try to address tanking.  It will be interesting to watch!

5 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

Yeah I think for a team that is in pretty good shape he'd be worth the risk top 10. We on the other hand need someone that is good enough to play NOW and make a difference on our team. I think Isaac can be our designated injury prone guy and we need to get a guy that isn't.

I think we do have to consider swinging for the fences  with porter at some point though.  That point depends a lot on our scouting department and how they project players at the back half of the lottery.  If they think Sexton is going to be good then its an easy choice to draft him vs the risk of porter.  Or bamba or whoever falls. 

But if you're looking at a guy who might just be fine i can see taking a swing on porter who legitimately might be Paul George.  

Or we might finish in the top 6 and its never even a question. 

Lets get one thing clear. The tanking was not really what was effective for philly. The moves to get the picks was what did it. Just like it has been working for Boston while keeping a great competitive team in the floor.  

Philly drafting has been questionable and lucky at the same time. 

They drafted Noel and Okafor In two of those years which turned out to be bad picks. They drafted an injured Embiid(lucky) as some teams passed on him due to the injury. 

They had the number one pick when Simmons came to the league(great pick)

they traded Payton for Saric( great move). Pick was a not a top 5.

they selected covington and Holmes with late picks( great picks). 

I think the best picks other than Simmons and Fultz( i dont know what to said about this pick yet) has been out of the top pick.

so even a number one pick is always good to have. Not necessary will work out as the best selection in the draft. 

This year is no exception. There are like 5-6 guys that can be a number one pick any other year. 

Sometimes I feel like we're going to snap back to a reality where we never traded Oladipo for Ibaka.  I get happy for a second then crash down again when I recognize it is fantasy.