Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

I believe the front office drafted Payton knowing that shooting was an issue, but felt with a good work ethic that could be improved; but where we really flopped was buying into the fact that the defensive award he won in college would translate to the NBA. In all honesty, I could see their way of thinking. I believe Hennigan saw a raw player with good size and measurements; feeling he had great potential to be a high level defender/passer along with being a solid character person but just needed to work on his jump shot. Payton has always been an enigma. It’s time to move on; you win some, you lose some; like JH says: if we can hit 7 out of 10 in the draft we’re gold. We also can’t always pass judgement on deals like: only getting a second round pick for EP because we don’t know the back channel conversations going on with agents ect. I do believe this front office knows what their doing. Sometimes the front office will make a questionable move with promises from agent of a perk on another transaction. The bottom line is we (arm chair GMs) don’t have all the facts, but I get it, it’s fun. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Magicpassion said:

I believe the front office drafted Payton knowing that shooting was an issue, but felt with a good work ethic that could be improved; but where we really flopped was buying into the fact that the defensive award he won in college would translate to the NBA. In all honesty, I could see their way of thinking. I believe Hennigan saw a raw player with good size and measurements; feeling he had great potential to be a high level defender/passer along with being a solid character person but just needed to work on his jump shot. Payton has always been an enigma. It’s time to move on; you win some, you lose some; like JH says: if we can hit 7 out of 10 in the draft we’re gold. We also can’t always pass judgement on deals like: only getting a second round pick for EP because we don’t know the back channel conversations going on with agents ect. I do believe this front office knows what their doing. Sometimes the front office will make a questionable move with promises from agent of a perk on another transaction. The bottom line is we (arm chair GMs) don’t have all the facts, but I get it, it’s fun. 

When Payton was coming out of college he was compared to Rajon Rondo. I think the logic behind his selection was that they liked his size and athleticism and that he played defense. They knew they were taking a hit on shooting and scoring, but with strong defense and acceptable play making he could be our version of Rondo or Rondo-lite. Problem is he never came close. As you said, his defense never really translated, his play making was average, and his scoring was streaky. So the pick didn't work out. Maybe he'll do better elsewhere but we rightly moved on from him. 

Did Henny make the right move trading for him? Hindsight says no. But I can understand why we did go after him because he offered intriguing upside.

Even though Payton didn't work out for us other teams did far worse in the draft than we did with a few of their picks over the years. If you look at Payton, Olidipo, Mario, and AG you would have to say that Henny had OK percentages with his early picks.

3 hours ago, Magicpassion said:

this is an incredible post, I concur

1 hour ago, magicblue said:

Wow...and this after low-balling Shaq. It could only happen to this franchise

Inept organization poor tmac and poor us the fans especially. How bout grant fesses up to his miraculous recovery in Phoenix after years of never being healthy for us. Now. 

9 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

Just thinking about after the break we should have Vuc and AG back. I sure hope we don't meaninglessly win our way to the 11th pick.

We were hardly setting the world on fire when they were playing. In fact our record the past 13 games or so is close to 500.  We’ve been playing some of our best basketball without them.  I’m more worried they’ll push Birch and Hezonja out of the lineup. They’re the only ones really worth watching right now.  Do I really want to see more empty numbers from Vuch?

9 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

I don't think so as its premise #1 of our management teams argument for trading Payton instead of leveraging his restricted free agency for a cheaper contract

I expect there were more behind-the-scenes reasoning for letting him go like we did than just what you said.