Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

On 2/10/2018 at 11:42 PM, JJZFL said:

2-3 but doesn’t really matter because we’ve learned that once you start tanking, you can’t just turn it off whenever you want. 

Philly says you're wrong. Philly's last year as a playoff team was in 2012-13 season where they got knocked out of the semi conference final. They're rebuild started about the same time as ours. They are currently 28-25. In 2014 they selected Embiid with the 3rd pick (we took AG at 4). 2015, they took Okafor with again the 3rd . 2016 they took Simmons number 1 and this previous draft they moved up to 1 from 3 and selected Fultz whom the jury is still out on due to whatever. 

Here we are however after only 2 seasons of trying to tank and the last 3 trying to win. Not only are we not winning but instead sitting in purgatory. We've had only 1 top 3 pick.

Why? That's what's missing from your argument. It's not just some blanketed idea like tanking promotes losing. That's not always true as 76ers current situation is evident of that.

Its the why's?

So it's not that I disagree that tanking CAN lead to further losing. I disagree that tanking alone promotes losing. It's the other variables. We simply did not stay committed to tanking because management thought the same way you did and here we are, still losing and under a complete revamp of our front office resulting from that.

A front office that so far hasn't given me a ton of confidence.

2 hours ago, Justin Jaudon said:

This. I'm not totally against tanking, but we failed our rebuild not because we didn't tank well enough. We failed because of this, not valuing our assets properly. We overvalued bad assets and undervalued good ones.

That and we hired a coach who wasn't on Henny's list and didn't share the same vision. A coach that was calling the POBR begging for a job and ended up quitting after one year.

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:21 PM, magicblue said:

Actually us being terrible at tanking is why we are where we are today.

No, the reason we are in the situation we're in now is because of Rob Hennigan's moronic attempt to rebuild this team after trading Dwight. We stripped the roster of talent in an attempt to go young and lose a lot. Which created the culture of youth and losing we're stuck with today. At the time of the Dwight trade, this city and franchise was hungry for championships since we were not far off from playing in the NBA Finals and b2b Eastern Conference Finals. Which is fair to a point, but now 6 years later we are as far off from a championship as ever. Straight up tanking doesn't win you championships. All the teams contending for the title this year didn't tank to get where they are, this idea that you need to strip your roster down and just suck until your savior comes is just crazy because you're gambling your franchise on getting lucky on a 19/20 year old. Plus, even if your team sucks enough doesn't guarantee you the pick to get any potential star players. The only pro-tanking argument I see much of these days is the 76ers, which kind of makes me laugh since right now Philly is a fringe 8th seed who does have a lot of young talent but these talented youngsters have a lot of injuries and question marks on them going forward. The 76ers HAVE to win a championship with this core to be worth putting their fans through some of the worst basketball in NBA history to get a chance to land them. 

Like I said,  this season is a lost cause already and the draft has good potential so I'm fine with just tanking to finish. Which Vogel won't do, we'll have to rely on our own terrible play. But going forward, please put an end to this BS. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

That and we hired a coach who wasn't on Henny's list and didn't share the same vision. A coach that was calling the POBR begging for a job and ended up quitting after one year.

As opposed to the two fantastic coaches Rob hired? Seriously, the desperate need to take shots at Skiles is getting silly.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Justin Jaudon said:

As opposed to the two fantastic coaches Rob hired? Seriously, the desperate need to take shots at Skiles is getting silly.

skiles is a special case of being a ***** and crying about his roster mid season.  If he just did his job and then quit at the end of the season he wouldn't deserve as much scorn. 

But he didn't, so ***** that guy. 

• Upvote 1

If anything, the fact we just dumped Payton for a bag of expired Doritos should justify Skiles. The dude told everyone in the building that Elfrid was not a long term starting PG, but Henny refused to listen and now look at where we are at. While, we are at it, I thought the team played way better under Skiles than they do under Vogel.

10 minutes ago, Justin Jaudon said:

We all know why Vaughn was picked and we don't know who Henny would've personally chosen instead of Skiles and I'd take one Vogel over 3 Skiles any day of the week.

Its not desperation. It's having a moral compass. 

8 minutes ago, Miller4Prez66 said:

If anything, the fact we just dumped Payton for a bag of expired Doritos should justify Skiles. The dude told everyone in the building that Elfrid was not a long term starting PG, but Henny refused to listen and now look at where we are at. While, we are at it, I thought the team played way better under Skiles than they do under Vogel.

He benched Dipo who was playing the hardest and  Frank didn't think EP was a long term piece obviously. Frank just acted like a professional while Skiles acted like a child.

Under Skiles we finished with 35 win...What is giving you the impression we played better?

2 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

He benched Dipo who was playing the hardest and  Frank didn't think EP was a long term piece obviously. Frank just acted like a professional while Skiles acted like a child.

Under Skiles we finished with 35 win...What is giving you the impression we played better?

Maybe because Skiles' season here was easily the best one post-Dwight? Not going to disagree that he was behaving kind of like an idiot, but he may been acting like an idiot our GM was actually being one. Especially now in hindsight a lot of things Skiles said have shown to be true. I wouldn't necessarily even take Skiles back, but at the same time I'm not impressed at all with Vogel either.

22 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

skiles is a special case of being a ***** and crying about his roster mid season.  If he just did his job and then quit at the end of the season he wouldn't deserve as much scorn. 

But he didn't, so ***** that guy. 

Of course ***** that guy. Don't for a second think I'm defending his behavior. But there's a wide gulf between '***** that guy' and taking every opportunity to blame our failures as a franchise on his hiring, especially since, from a basketball standpoint, he was far and away our best coach since Stan.

We were 19-13 going in to January when Skiles quit on the team in London and stopped coaching and the wheels fell off. He deserves more blame than credit for creating the losing mentality

• Like 1