Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

8 hours ago, JJZFL said:

From 2011 to 2014 seasons, we were tied for the worst record in the league for those three seasons.  Please explain to me how we didn’t “suck terribly”?  You tankers got exactly what you wanted, and it led us to this point. 

Cumulatively yes, and it yielded us one top three pick in the worst draft in probably the last 10-15 years. Oh and you still confuse tanking with legitimate sucking. We sucked, we should have tanked is the point

1 minute ago, magicblue said:

Cumulatively yes, and it yielded us one top three pick in the worst draft in probably the last 10-15 years.

Dipo, Giannis, and CJ McCollum were in the worst draft in 10-15 years, though. Two of those guys were mid first-rounders. Jokic was a second rounder in that draft, I think.

2 minutes ago, Justin Jaudon said:

Dipo, Giannis, and CJ McCollum were in the worst draft in 10-15 years, though. Two of those guys were mid first-rounders. Jokic was a second rounder in that draft, I think.

Not saying we didn’t miss guys either

22 minutes ago, magicblue said:

Cumulatively yes, and it yielded us one top three pick in the worst draft in probably the last 10-15 years. Oh and you still confuse tanking with legitimate sucking. We sucked, we should have tanked is the point

We were tanking.  We traded away every veteran, put together a group of mediocre young players.  Everyone knew we were trying to be bad, and we succeeded.  We succeeded so well that we built a foundation for being bad for a very long time.

9 hours ago, Originalticketholder said:

Ditto, Ditto, and triple Ditto.  We are not where we were 6 years ago which is part of what Magicman28 answered.  He and I are advocating getting to be one of the top 3 teams in the lottery.  We have assets to build around but I do not believe that the current roster, without additional talent, can compete with the top level teams.  Cleveland, just proved, you can remake your team without giving up everyone.  Getting Simmons counts as a good move for this FO as does trading Payton and getting something in return.  If we can get a top 3 pick this year it just means we have leverage.  Take who we want, trade it for who we want plus something else, whatever.  And if you get lucky and get pick 1 you hold all the cards ( i,e. Suns have pick 3 and 17--would they give up both for #1).  Winning our way out of a better pick does nothing for us this year.  Developing our current talent and getting better talent is the long term answer.  Hope we make our team better!

That would be great to drop to 3 and 17 if we won but we would likely trade 17 for 2 protected second rounders in 2040 or use trade it for cash considerations. Lets remember what we inexplicably did with this years draft. Without question we are the worst team in the league the last 10 years at valuing our assets.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, the notorious S.A.C. said:

Without question we are the worst team in the league the last 10 years at valuing our assets.

This. I'm not totally against tanking, but we failed our rebuild not because we didn't tank well enough. We failed because of this, not valuing our assets properly. We overvalued bad assets and undervalued good ones.

4 minutes ago, Bauncey Chillups said:

When talking drafts you have to remember who was talked about at our pick range. Literally nobody was taking McCollum or Giannis @ 2 for that draft.

Also i think people think Hammond went into the draft with giannis at the top of their board and knew he was going to be some star.  

But he's said in multiple interviews that they were just like "ok i guess we'll take the Greek kid because there's no-one else we really like". 

Same deal with Popovich and kawhi. They liked him but they didn't think he'd be anywhere near this good.  

5 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Also i think people think Hammond went into the draft with giannis at the top of their board and knew he was going to be some star.  

But he's said in multiple interviews that they were just like "ok i guess we'll take the Greek kid because there's no-one else we really like". 

Same deal with Popovich and kawhi. They liked him but they didn't think he'd be anywhere near this good.  

This is why trading our second pick last year was so stupid. Same goes with not extenbing Mario. If you have assets, especially picks, don't be afraid of them. The draft is a crapshoot. You might get AD from tanking, or you might get Bargnani. You might get Shabazz with a mid-1st pick, or you might get Giannis. You'll probably get Tyler Harvey with your second rounder, but you could get Jokic. They didn't know what they had in Mario. He'd barely played for them. But they were unwilling to take the small hit if he didn't work out. They didn't know what they could get with that pick, and they were unwilling to gamble. But gamblers don't win by only betting on sure things.

6 minutes ago, Justin Jaudon said:

This is why trading our second pick last year was so stupid. Same goes with not extenbing Mario. If you have assets, especially picks, don't be afraid of them. The draft is a crapshoot. You might get AD from tanking, or you might get Bargnani. You might get Shabazz with a mid-1st pick, or you might get Giannis. You'll probably get Tyler Harvey with your second rounder, but you could get Jokic. They didn't know what they had in Mario. He'd barely played for them. But they were unwilling to take the small hit if he didn't work out. They didn't know what they could get with that pick, and they were unwilling to gamble. But gamblers don't win by only betting on sure things.

I agree. Take all the second rounders you can increasing your odds of finding a player thats worth rostering especially with two way contracts. Iwundu looks good but it'd be nice to look at more guys. 

3 hours ago, magicdoc1 said:

It always happens at the beginning of a relationship. It is like when you are dating a new girlfriend and for the first few days/weeks.

Wait until they get to know him well. Besides, I dont think they won that game. 

I mean, we can say the same thing about Mack.  

there's truth to what you're saying, but that fan base was so desperate for a legit starting point guard that they're very humbly thankful for him despite his short comings

2 hours ago, the notorious S.A.C. said:

That would be great to drop to 3 and 17 if we won but we would likely trade 17 for 2 protected second rounders in 2040 or use trade it for cash considerations. Lets remember what we inexplicably did with this years draft. Without question we are the worst team in the league the last 10 years at valuing our assets.

I honestly believe the handling of our picks with any kind of habitual evidence can not be looked through the anomaly of our first year front offices in an evaluation year. I'm excited to see the changss