Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

They have zero depth on that team it seems.  I wouldn't be surprised if he became a scoring pg there in addition to being an actual pg.  He'll have all the shots he wants.  He really couldn't ask for a better situation other than being on a contending team.  

2 hours ago, Magicman28 said:

How many of the last 6 years do you think we purposely tanked?

2-3 but doesn’t really matter because we’ve learned that once you start tanking, you can’t just turn it off whenever you want. 

5 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

I don't think "we shouldn't have drafted Mario" takes really work anymore now that we have a 27 game sample of 12 ppg 4 rpg low turnovers 47/36/80 shooting in a 6th man role.  

Mario a perfect example of a team demonstrating lack of patience and development.  If you draft a player 5th and give up on him before he was ever given a chance I do not see that as very smart.  All I heard for 2 years is that he has not earned the opportunity to play.  Seriously!!  So he got his opportunity not because he was deemed he earned it but because of injuries and, lo and behold, "Attencion" All of a sudden he can play?  Hope we did not mess this one up, and if he continues to play well hope we can resign him!

2 hours ago, magicblue said:

.........   It's hilarious that they now poo-poo tanking when the alternative, of not sucking terribly, has lead us to exactly where we sit now. 

From 2011 to 2014 seasons, we were tied for the worst record in the league for those three seasons.  Please explain to me how we didn’t “suck terribly”?  You tankers got exactly what you wanted, and it led us to this point. 

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Magicman28 said:

Your first question, I'll take my chances. A lot more goes into it that you're missing in the argument. Timing, coach, future cap room + availability of players, etc. What would this franchise be today if we never sucked and drafted Shaq with the top pick? What about Dwight? Two top picks that without em, we probably would never sniff the finals.

Your second question, that's depends on some of the variables and who that pick is. The whole losing habit thing is abused. Definitely can develop those but Sometimes you just need good ol fashion, never failing talent. Dive for lose balls, play the PNR's hard, execute on both ends, are all pluses but no talent? You can still be at the bottom looking up.

What happened to us is what some of us have said happened. Instead of letting players develop, reassessing and seeing what fits and what doesn't and liquidate the ones that don't, Martins brought in Skiles in a sped up process. We went from a direction to young asset building/development to "Get me my boys so we can win asap" direction and where did THAT get us? 

Ditto, Ditto, and triple Ditto.  We are not where we were 6 years ago which is part of what Magicman28 answered.  He and I are advocating getting to be one of the top 3 teams in the lottery.  We have assets to build around but I do not believe that the current roster, without additional talent, can compete with the top level teams.  Cleveland, just proved, you can remake your team without giving up everyone.  Getting Simmons counts as a good move for this FO as does trading Payton and getting something in return.  If we can get a top 3 pick this year it just means we have leverage.  Take who we want, trade it for who we want plus something else, whatever.  And if you get lucky and get pick 1 you hold all the cards ( i,e. Suns have pick 3 and 17--would they give up both for #1).  Winning our way out of a better pick does nothing for us this year.  Developing our current talent and getting better talent is the long term answer.  Hope we make our team better!

29 minutes ago, Skip to my Jameer 114 said:

If we do part ways with Frank, I want Tony Bennett

Hopefully he's the next Brad Stevens if we do go that route

9 hours ago, Magicfan1987 said:

Sun's fans seem to be really happy to have an actual point guard in Payton, I'm really happy for them :)

It always happens at the beginning of a relationship. It is like when you are dating a new girlfriend and for the first few days/weeks.

Wait until they get to know him well. Besides, I dont think they won that game. 

I mean, we can say the same thing about Mack.