Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

It wasn't right to give up on Payton 2 months into his second year.  No.  

How do you know this? History says it was right, because he has not helped us win, and he eventually got traded for a second round pick. You can say that Skiles had no way of knowing that he would not develop in important areas, but you don't know what Skiles knew. Maybe the kid has an attitude problem and won't be coached. Maybe he's just stupid. I don't know. But Skiles, after praising him all summer having only seen him from the outside, got pretty sour on him pretty quick once he actually started coaching him.

I'll put it this way. In Payton's second year, we probably could have gotten more for him than a second round pick. However much it would have seemed a foolish choice, trading him then would have worked out for us better than keeping him. So... you're just wrong. Giving up on Payton 2 months into his second year would have been the right call, however crazy it might have seemed at the time.

6 minutes ago, Justin Jaudon said:

How do you know this? History says it was right, because he has not helped us win, and he eventually got traded for a second round pick. You can say that Skiles had no way of knowing that he would not develop in important areas, but you don't know what Skiles knew. Maybe the kid has an attitude problem and won't be coached. Maybe he's just stupid. I don't know. But Skiles, after praising him all summer having only seen him from the outside, got pretty sour on him pretty quick once he actually started coaching him.

I'll put it this way. In Payton's second year, we probably could have gotten more for him than a second round pick. However much it would have seemed a foolish choice, trading him then would have worked out for us better than keeping him. So... you're just wrong. Giving up on Payton 2 months into his second year would have been the right call, however crazy it might have seemed at the time.

Yea I tend to think that after the second year you could pretty much tell who he was. God forbid we got out in front of a personnel decision for once and actually made the right call. 

5 hours ago, Magicman28 said:

3-5? Thought they said 2-3? I hope they didn't say that. That's bull****. 

Unfortunately they held themselves to a pretty low bar. I had the same reaction 

21 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Yea I tend to think that after the second year you could pretty much tell who he was. God forbid we got out in front of a personnel decision for once and actually made the right call. 

Completely agree. 

6 hours ago, Justin Jaudon said:

If you spent money for your bills betting on the eagles to win the super bowl you were correct in your analysis but its still not a very good decision.  

That's results oriented thinking.  

Skiles didn't like Payton because he imagines his point guards as extensions of himself (which makes sense, you coach to your experiences) and Payton is meek and inconsistent.  

If Payton's career path turns out like mcw ill be first to change my tune but you don't give up on 21 year old players that show promise. 

6 hours ago, Justin Jaudon said:

We can all cry conspiracy that Skiles 'wanted his guys and forced a trade', but I really doubt Skiles demanded this specific trade.

He literally threatened to quit mid season unless we got some of his guys.  

“Mudiay versus Payton is a push to me,” one NBA executive said. “Not a fan of either, but it is worth the gamble to see what you have in Mudiay while he’s still on his rookie contract. And McDermott wasn’t in the long-term plans.”

However, if the Knicks could have added Joakim Noah to the Orlando package and gotten back Bismack Biyombo, they would have done the Payton deal. In a smaller package, the Knicks deemed Mudiay a better fit than Payton, with a chance to look at him next season before the 2019 offseason, when they will have significant cap space. In any case, the Knicks never had a deal on the table Orlando would have accepted.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/08/why-knicks-picked-emmanuel-mudiay-over-elfrid-payton/

Payton and Biz for McDermott and Noah makes the Payton to Phoenix deal look pretty good.

9 hours ago, Catalina Maria said:

The Skiles thing scarred Payton. Payton sucks because of Skiles. Payton is a Millennial snowflake. Millennials require tender love and affection, and Skiles gave none of it. In fact, the reason we suck so much is because of what Skiles did to the team. He sucked the life out of this team. In truth, we can blame Skiles for Nick Anderson missing those free throws against Houston in 1995. Nick was living under Skiles’ shadow and the pressure was too much.

I agree. (Insert pointlessly categorized time of birth here) people are inferior and soft or something. The rest of your post was kinda lame, but I like the piss taking at "millennial bashers". Also, what? We traded Elfrid Payton? What? When? Who?

You'll always be "Lewis4thewin" to me btw. Payton was a terrible choice. At least Gilbert was terribly amusing.

34 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

https://nypost.com/2018/02/08/why-knicks-picked-emmanuel-mudiay-over-elfrid-payton/

Payton and Biz for McDermott and Noah makes the Payton to Phoenix deal look pretty good.

That kinda makes more sense.  Maybe that's where the frank rumor came from because Payton and biz for Noah and Frank is a reasonable deal to ask for