Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

Just now, Magicman28 said:

You believe in a team that has admitted their errors in the draft and with Mario's option all in one half of a season?

The hole we got into was from above Henny.

yeah, I'll believe in anyone's ability to admit when they've messed up. No gms are perfect and nothing's guaranteed.

signing 4 rookies wouldn't of been a wise move when you're trying to evaluate what you already have and not picking up Mario's option at request of him and his agent was considered a favor. Neither of which would I classify as bone head moves, like trading Victor Oladipo and sabonis for a 4 month rental of Serge Ibaka. 

4 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

yeah, I'll believe in anyone's ability to admit when they've messed up. No gms are perfect and nothing's guaranteed.

signing 4 rookies wouldn't of been a wise move when you're trying to evaluate what you already have and not picking up Mario's option at request of him and his agent was considered a favor. Neither of which would I classify as bone head moves, like trading Victor Oladipo and sabonis for a 4 month rental of Serge Ibaka. 

4 rookies? See what Donovan Mitchell is doing?

And what are you talking about with Mario and his agent requesting us not pick up their option?

14 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

I believe in our management team and respect their decisions. Gotta remember they're climbing out of the hole that Henngian left us in. That will take some time.

I dont dislike them but not currently happy. Like I said before, I am giving them a little more time but the moves that bothered me the most was giving away our late first round pick and not extending Mario. The Payton move doesnt bother me too much as I look at the whole picture. 

9 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

It's not a believe or not believe thing.  Its a we weren't resigning Payton so we needed something.  

There was only one first rounder traded today.  Rodney hood didn't get a first. Tyreke Evans didn't get a first.  Mudiay didn't get a first.  

They got as much as they could for an asset.

They did try to pry Ntilikina from the Knicks unsuccesfully and New York was willing to give us a first but could not get someone to take Lee for a first either. I will give them a pass on this move.

5 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

you heard otherwise?

It doesnt really make sense

"Ok Mario, we'll waive your option so you can find a new team but you'll have to still play out the season here because we won't buy you out" 

Doesn't pass the smell test.  

I feel like I should say something, since I at one time was the biggest and maybe earliest major critic of Payton on the board. I hope the kid plays well. But the reason he didn't work out was the reason I always said he wouldn't. He can't play within a system, especially defensively. I called him the NBA Lavar Arrington, and I stand by that. And just as Lavar made a couple of Pro-Bowls on some bad teams, I wouldn't be shocked if Payton looks really good in Phoenix, from a raw numbers standpoint. But he won't make Phoenix better, just like he never made Orlando better. Maybe one day he'll learn to play within a system, not roam around looking to make big plays. But Orlando gave him 3 and a half seasons and he never made real strides with that problem. It was time to move on, and what we got seems like it was market value.

That said, I wish the best for him. He seemed like a good kid, if a little gloomy. Also, it would sure be nice to have DSJ right now.

28 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

It's not a believe or not believe thing.  Its a we weren't resigning Payton so we needed something.  

There was only one first rounder traded today.  Rodney hood didn't get a first. Tyreke Evans didn't get a first.  Mudiay didn't get a first.  

They got as much as they could for an asset.

What was the knick offer before you flubbed that?

2 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

What was the knick offer before you flubbed that?

Something that includes Lee’s contract. To add, Magic now have money to resign Hezonja. I want them to keep Hezonja.

2 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

If Payton played like Mario before his recent improvement skiles would be right.  

Payton is talented but flawed.  We needed to see if he'd overcome those flaws.  He hasn't. It doesn't mean he won't. But its up to some other team to see if he will.  

God forbid we give Skiles credit for anything...

Skiles was absolutely right that Payton was not going to make the team better in the timeline he was working on. We were in playoff push mode, and Payton was not getting better at defense, which was killing us when we also had a poor defensive Center. A year and a half later, Skiles is proven right when we trade Payton basically because he isn't improving defensively, and you argue that because you think he deserved the chance to work out his issues that Skiles was still somehow wrong? Could it be that Skiles just knew more about Payton's game and mentality than you?

We don't have to like Skiles. I don't like him. But seriously, we can give him SOME credit for seeing who Payton was and pushing management to move on.

5 minutes ago, Justin Jaudon said:

God forbid we give Skiles credit for anything...

Skiles was absolutely right that Payton was not going to make the team better in the timeline he was working on. We were in playoff push mode, and Payton was not getting better at defense, which was killing us when we also had a poor defensive Center. A year and a half later, Skiles is proven right when we trade Payton basically because he isn't improving defensively, and you argue that because you think he deserved the chance to work out his issues that Skiles was still somehow wrong? Could it be that Skiles just knew more about Payton's game and mentality than you?

We don't have to like Skiles. I don't like him. But seriously, we can give him SOME credit for seeing who Payton was and pushing management to move on.

Yea skiles was so right about Tobias. Jennings and ilyasova are balling. You funny