Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

13 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Dj's defensive numbers are against back ups. You are not correct at all. 

As a starter dj has a +5.3 in just basic plus minus.  Payton is -4.6

We're 110.2 offensive rating and 98.9 defensive rating with Augustin as a starter vs 105.9 and 113.6 with Payton

Just now, Payton4thewin said:

We're 110.2 offensive rating and 98.9 defensive rating with Augustin as a starter vs 105.9 and 113.6 with Payton

Was looking at 82games, and Payton's on/off #s were atrocious this year.

This is where i would ask fan for too long if he even watches basketball, but that seems petty.

11 minutes ago, Odin said:

You lose leverage when you shop a player too. Everyone knew we were not looking at keeping him. Everyone knew his basic deficiencies. We had no leverage going into the deal.

I think the trade is meh. But, then, I have never really been anti-Payton. I think Payton will be a fine player in the league in a couple of years. He is right in line statistically if you compare him to a Lowry or Conley type. (Yes, I understand the PNR defense is bad). But I also understand that most Magic fans don't want to go along with the ride.

Right.  It is meh.  Payton isn't "worth" a second rounder. Its very likely that the player we select is going to be worse than Payton.  

But his value on the open market in literally the last 5 minutes we could possibly trade him was a second rounder.  We had to get whatever value we could get out of him.  

He was worth the most as a draft pick.  As a player he was worth the most last June.  But we had to see this through until the last moment because of that post all star run he had last year.  

2 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Yes I watch every dam game since 1989. Analytics is all some of you look at I think. 

I've watched him die on enough screens to know what he is.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

I've watched him die on enough screens to know what he is.  

The issue is we should have been able to scheme that issue out I think, but I think we got screwed by Ross' injury. Letting Ross defend PGs with Payton defending SGs, where he wouldn't be killed by screens and the P&R as much would have mitigated much of the issues. But once Ross was down, we really didn't have anyone else that could have done that.

17 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

How many games has dj started and who was healthy then?

7 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

Right.  It is meh.  Payton isn't "worth" a second rounder. Its very likely that the player we select is going to be worse than Payton.  

But his value on the open market in literally the last 5 minutes we could possibly trade him was a second rounder.  We had to get whatever value we could get out of him.  

He was worth the most as a draft pick.  As a player he was worth the most last June.  But we had to see this through until the last moment because of that post all star run he had last year.  

If the RFA status wasn't a consideration, he was easily worth at least a 1st round pick. But unfortunately, teams over value their picks and there was the RFA status to consider.