Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

Mentality (and now injuries). He couldn't carve out a dominant role in college. He was a "passive" player. Just screams role player. That doesn't mean he can't be a really good role player but I'm big on the mentality of players. 

To add I think he is a bit overrated on this board as he has done virtually nothing this year. He has been ok in almost every way. He played like a rookie and other than his physical abilities there hasn't been much to get excited about. 

Yep. It’s alarming that his body couldn’t handle big minutes in college and he’s now essentially been hurt his entire rookie year. 

8 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

So what do you think he is worth?

I'd let him find an offer elsewhere and I'd most likely match it.  People got happy with max contracts because of the new CBA/cap/etc but it was evident that it was a one time thing and salaries would have to normalize. I couldn't put a specific number on it, but I'd be willing to guess it will be similar to whatever Payton gets offered as well.  I know many won't like to hear that but I bet their salaries will be closer to each other than AG will be to the max.  I should throw out the qualifier that if a team that struggles with FA usually but is a pretty decent team might get desperate and overpay (MIL, UTAH, etc).  Obviously I hope he gets as much money as he can while he can, I like him.  I'm just speaking from the point of view of someone that would like to become a true contender again sometime.  If we sign him to a max contract we will be over the cap unless we can get rid of Biyombo.  That doesn't factor in Payton's contract situation.  If we let Payton walk we will need a starting point guard, and they aren't cheap.  If you think we're bad now, just wait til we have a whole season with the DJ's and Mack's of the world running the point.  I hope we have a chance to negotiate with Mario, he's someone that could be affected by a max contract.  

22 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

Mentality (and now injuries). He couldn't carve out a dominant role in college. He was a "passive" player. Just screams role player. That doesn't mean he can't be a really good role player but I'm big on the mentality of players. 

To add I think he is a bit overrated on this board as he has done virtually nothing this year. He has been ok in almost every way. He played like a rookie and other than his physical abilities there hasn't been much to get excited about. 

Sounds a lot like AG did, at least Isaac isn't a tweener.  He needs a real chance after some strength and conditioning at the professional level.  

53 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

Sounds a lot like AG did, at least Isaac isn't a tweener.  He needs a real chance after some strength and conditioning at the professional level.  

I won't argue with this. I think Isaac and Gordon can co-exist and would rather start our rebuild with them both. I like the idea of letting Gordon test free agency and matching whatever comes his way even if that means a max offer. I think it's a bad idea to give huge offers to Gordon and Payton. We should choose between the two. If we choose to not spend on Gordon we should be proactive and move him before the deadline. 

IMO we need to focus on AG and let Payton go. His lack of willingness to take the outside shot creates spacing problems and it won't be too much longer before his hair has totally obliterated his ability to see the basket. Also his lack of consistency on defense is a problem. We are much better off to trade him or let him go and get our PG of the future through the draft. If we can keep him cheap by all means do it, but he has not shown that he is worthy of a BIG contract.

• Downvote 1

On 1/30/2018 at 3:09 PM, Natesroom said:

i would take JJ back and then resign him in the offseason, um yeah 40% from 3 and a vet and still in top form avg 16 pts, fan favorite etc

Dude...the ghost of Nateroom posted.  Is it really him?  This is rare as *****.  

Ok...so the topic is Isaac.  There shouldn't be any controversy regarding Isaac at all.  You guys have been through the rebuild TOO DAMN long to be thinking like this.  Some of you have been through like four rebuilds.  Isaac gets a pass for three years.  Let's hope his career doesn't start like Jabari Parker or MKG.  

Around the NBA:   HVW9_52_B8_Utah_Jazz1.jpg

The new Utah Jazz Uni's...are beautiful.  Perfect shading for a desert sunset.  I loved watching them play Golden State the other night.  I think that was part of the reason GS got blown out.  Those jerseys are a beautiful distraction.  Much envy.

Rest in peace to Rasual Butler.   He jumped around many teams during his tenure in the league.  He's got plenty of older former allstars as close friends.  Rasual Butler was also 3 and D for the 2005 champion Miami Heat.    His wife was also an American Idol contestant, Leah LaBelle.  There's loss for both trades.  

• Upvote 1

Sad to here of Butler's death. I remember him well from my peak years of basketball viewership. 38 is way too young to go. Real shame.

Suns buy out Monroe...Not a good sign for the market that a 17M expiring contract couldn’t get moved. Also makes it one less team looking for a center when Monroe is picked up. 

I really hope this roster isn’t intact after next week. The tank is on and a we are going to get a few more meaningless wins to end the season if we keep the roster as is. 

8 hours ago, Murphy13 said:

I'd let him find an offer elsewhere and I'd most likely match it.  People got happy with max contracts because of the new CBA/cap/etc but it was evident that it was a one time thing and salaries would have to normalize. I couldn't put a specific number on it, but I'd be willing to guess it will be similar to whatever Payton gets offered as well.  I know many won't like to hear that but I bet their salaries will be closer to each other than AG will be to the max.  I should throw out the qualifier that if a team that struggles with FA usually but is a pretty decent team might get desperate and overpay (MIL, UTAH, etc).  Obviously I hope he gets as much money as he can while he can, I like him.  I'm just speaking from the point of view of someone that would like to become a true contender again sometime.  If we sign him to a max contract we will be over the cap unless we can get rid of Biyombo.  That doesn't factor in Payton's contract situation.  If we let Payton walk we will need a starting point guard, and they aren't cheap.  If you think we're bad now, just wait til we have a whole season with the DJ's and Mack's of the world running the point.  I hope we have a chance to negotiate with Mario, he's someone that could be affected by a max contract.  

There's a lot to unpack here. 

1. There's no way Payton and Gordon get similar contracts.  No way.  It's more likely Payton plays for his 4.5 million qualifying offer next year than we resign him at all.  

2. If we sign Gordon to any contact we'll lack cap space.  

3. Its the rookie 25% max contract we're talking about, not the 35% one that cripples teams. Its not that big of a deal.  

4. You pay what the market is. Young players teetering on the edge of greatness and goodness get rookie max contracts.  Some take slight hometown discounts but they're in that ball park.  But there's never going to be a situation where you get those guys for 18 million a year in free agency without some flaw in their career like jabari. There's never going to be a situation where a healthy early 20s high draft pick potential future all star gets on the open market in free agency and gets 4/76. They're like new pickup trucks.  You're never going to get one with everything you want in it for 19. 

5. Teams never regret big contracts on good players.  Minnesota will never regret Wiggins max extension.  They regret gorgui dieng. We'll never regret paying Gordon.  We'll regret paying biyombo.  Because even a really quality season from biyombo can be replicated by a couple guys on short deals, found in the back half of the lottery, or minimum contract guys.  

6. I already think we're better with the Augustin and mack show