Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

I can't find it in the cba but Larry Coon's site says "the team cannot re- sign him to a salary greater than he would have received had the team exercised his option".

Nothing i can find mentions years

Actually, you guys might be right.  Austin Rivers got a 1+1 deal in the same situation. 

But that was the old cba. I'm not sure if it's still the case and its the only situation i can find where a team resigned a guy with a declined option. 

Thinking through it more, it would make sense if it was only a monetary restriction in that first year as opposed to a length of contract restriction to only one year.  Because I can't think of any loophole that teams would be able to abuse by not picking up the option and then resigning the player.  It only works to their detriment. 

Like, if some team thought "oh, we just won't pick up his option so that we can fast-track locking him up to a longer contract", all they would have done in reality is a) risk that he leaves as an unrestricted free agent that summer, or b) resign him to that new contract with the first year or two restricted financially, and then he gets to free agency earlier than he would have if they had just picked it up.  No benefit to do that.

• Like 1

I hope everyone is right about being able to sign Mario for more years. I really don’t want to lose him. We’ve stuck it out this long I wanna see it through with him. 

Mario is not staying... we basically said we do not believe in you...now we gonna ask him to come back? i would tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine..

hope he does stay tho..

2 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

Mario is not staying... we basically said we do not believe in you...now we gonna ask him to come back? i would tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine..

hope he does stay tho..

Some people aren't so vindictive/resentful. I would be, but maybe Mario isn't. And then you've gotta consider the off-court stuff. Does he want to integrate with new teammates? Move all his stuff? Learn where everything is in a new city?  Who knows. 

Hammond and Weltman also seem like the type of dudes to own up and say listen, we made a mistake; we had a lot of evaluations to make immediately after we got here and we screwed it up with you. 

7 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

hope he does stay tho..

We wouldn’t be asking him, we would be paying him a lot of money to do so. 

Being able to offer additional years changes our chance of keeping him from 1% to like 10%.  

Because realistically a 5 year 28 million contract isn't going to be appetizing. 

What this does is remove another teams ability to beat a 1 year 5.2 million contract with a 2 year 9 million contract with a player option year 2. 

The best contract we can offer him is 5.2+player option of 5.6 for a bit more security that he can opt out of and get a better contract the following year.  

But every  non -tax paying team is going to have a mid - level exception worth 8.402 for the first year. Its going to be tough keeping him

28 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

Being able to offer additional years changes our chance of keeping him from 1% to like 10%.  

Because realistically a 5 year 28 million contract isn't going to be appetizing. 

What this does is remove another teams ability to beat a 1 year 5.2 million contract with a 2 year 9 million contract with a player option year 2. 

The best contract we can offer him is 5.2+player option of 5.6 for a bit more security that he can opt out of and get a better contract the following year.  

But every  non -tax paying team is going to have a mid - level exception worth 8.402 for the first year. Its going to be tough keeping him

I think this makes it at least possible that he stays though. Not sure if any team would be willing to spend that much more than we could on him right now.

I know that he is still probably gone, but just clearing the air with management- an apology + we have realized you are important to the team type of conversation- could go a long way to keeping him.

The Cav’s just lost Kevin Love for 6 weeks due to a fractured hand. 

Maybe They show some interest in Vuc? 

Funny, that Lebrons all star team will ended be essentially  partly selected by Adam Silver.

I can see now Dragic been selected!