Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, Payton4thewin said:

Every nba team "makes money". Several just reinvest their profits back into the business to make it look like they're losing money for tax purposes.  

But really they just need time to shuffle guys out of the roster 

I don't think that's how it works. How would reinvesting profit make the team lose money??? You have to actually buy assets for that to happen. You can't just put it on a line item and deduct. 

the magic are one of 9 teams that are losing money.

http://www.espn.in/nba/story/_/id/20747413/a-confidential-report-shows-nearly-half-nba-lost-money-last-season-now-what

I think the team runs the Amway center which is why overall the owner is making money. Doesn't mean that the team is. 

42 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

I don't think we are really in a “bad spot”. We are in the “right spot”at the moment. We should continue with the tanking and see if we can get a top 3 player in this year talented draft. 

I also want to see how we do with trades. 

We will be in a really bad spot if we start winning and end up with a #7-10 pick. 

But we’re not committed to tanking or developing talent. If we were, Iwundu and Birch would be seeing a lot more burn. I hope that’s the direction through the trade deadline.

1 hour ago, magicdoc1 said:

I don't think we are really in a “bad spot”. We are in the “right spot”at the moment. We should continue with the tanking and see if we can get a top 3 player in this year talented draft. 

I also want to see how we do with trades. 

We will be in a really bad spot if we start winning and end up with a #7-10 pick. 

It's not a path toward anything though its a stagnant period without growth.  

1 hour ago, Ibn Battuta said:

I don't think that's how it works. How would reinvesting profit make the team lose money??? You have to actually buy assets for that to happen. You can't just put it on a line item and deduct. 

the magic are one of 9 teams that are losing money.

http://www.espn.in/nba/story/_/id/20747413/a-confidential-report-shows-nearly-half-nba-lost-money-last-season-now-what

I think the team runs the Amway center which is why overall the owner is making money. Doesn't mean that the team is. 

Yeah i guess i misunderstood the exact reasoning. Its writing off a significant portion of expenses for tax breaks that fudges the numbers when they balance the books.  

59 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

But we’re not committed to tanking or developing talent. If we were, Iwundu and Birch would be seeing a lot more burn. I hope that’s the direction through the trade deadline.

Partly because we don’t have much talent to develop. Neither Iwundu nor Birch makes my heart go pitter patter. You see, the draft flattened out so there was no young talent left for us. 

58 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Partly because we don’t have much talent to develop. Neither Iwundu nor Birch makes my heart go pitter patter. You see, the draft flattened out so there was no young talent left for us. 

Lets hope we see lots of Iwundu, Birch and hell maybe even Isaac if he can get his ankle straight. That would probably mean we traded Vuc and possibly Fournier.

14 hours ago, Payton4thewin said:

It's not a path toward anything though its a stagnant period without growth.  

I am not happy at all seeing where we are now and for the past 6 years. But When we look to the future, the only good path is to tank! Like I said, a top 3 pick in this year draft and likely some decent trade in the deadline will change our direction and will get us out from stagnation. It will give us hope.

Now, if we decide to go for wins and finish the season with the 7-10 spot in this draft and no trades are made, then we will remain in stagnation mode and will be in a very tough position. 

That is what I meant.

6 hours ago, magicdoc1 said:

I am not happy at all seeing where we are now and for the past 6 years. But When we look to the future, the only good path is to tank! Like I said, a top 3 pick in this year draft and likely some decent trade in the deadline will change our direction and will get us out from stagnation. It will give us hope.

This is the nice thing about tanking.  No matter how often it fails and how bad the team becomes, adherents to that strategy can always say that now we’re so bad that we have no choice but to tank even harder.  It’s self reinforcing, and kind of circular reasoning, so it can never really be disputed. 

Magic coach Frank Vogel wants no part of tanking.

“That’s not a word I digest,” Vogel said. “I’m trying to build a winning culture, winning habits, and that’s my only focus.”

“Everybody keeps saying we’re young,” Speights said. “That’s kind of an excuse also, because other teams don’t care if we’re young or old. They’re going to try to win. So we’ve just got to go out there with a better mind set. We’ve just got to fight — fight for each other, fight for everybody on the court. And guys on the bench have got to cheer for everybody on the court. You’ve got to have better swag, more swag. When guys score, nobody’s really happy. That’s something we’ve got to learn. Little stuff like that could help our team win, help our team get out of the funk: if we cheer for each other and be happy for the next man.”

WOW............This team is beyond messed...