Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

4 hours ago, Ibn Battuta said:

say you trade Gordon, EP, and Terrence Ross for CJ. they get future 4, backup point guard, and temporary fill in for SG. I don't see them taking Fournier (Evan Turner) or Vucevic (Leonard, and Nurkic about to paid soon) so it doesn't leave much else. Any interest? 

Given our circumstances and lack of scoring guard to take over games, I'd do it. We are only 5 games out of the 8th seed. Say we trot a lineup of like CJ-Fournier-Vucevic, I think that's enough offense between them for Isaac and others to feed off and play defense. 

That just makes us crappy with cj mccollum. Building around cj, Fournier, vucevic would make us a terrible defensive team.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

That just makes us crappy with cj mccollum. Building around cj, Fournier, vucevic would make us a terrible defensive team.  

I don't disagree, but I think you can build something with CJ and Fournier and Isaac. I don't see Vuc as part of the team long term, so if we get a high enough pick, draft one of the bigs. If not, move him. Not sure the cap space situation, but if dumping him allows us to sign DAJ, why not. 

If i'm Portland, there's no way I can take Vuc or Fournier. Too much money and duplicate talent with other players.

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

I still really like Collins as a prospect. 

He was alright. Still think they could use Vuch and Fournier ;)

Honestly it seemed like CJ dominated the ball more than Lilliard. Maybe I'm wrong though.

We started this season really well. Our bench was horrible last year and with the addition of Isaac and Simmons our bench was way better. Then the injury to Isaac and all hell breaks loose. Are we truly missing his length and activity that much? Are we just one of those type players from being good? Granted the injury to Ross was also a loss. But we had him for awhile after ji went down. 

Are we keeping him out of games now to do a stealth tank? If so, that is bs and is a disservice to the fans and the rest of the team. 

2 hours ago, Ibn Battuta said:

I don't disagree, but I think you can build something with CJ and Fournier and Isaac. I don't see Vuc as part of the team long term, so if we get a high enough pick, draft one of the bigs. If not, move him. Not sure the cap space situation, but if dumping him allows us to sign DAJ, why not. 

If i'm Portland, there's no way I can take Vuc or Fournier. Too much money and duplicate talent with other players.

I don't know.  I think you end up with a fatal flaw that puts a ceiling on the team like we're seeing now.  I think we'd be better off with smaller tweaks that improve is without breaking up our core entirely.  Is mccollum that significantly a better offensive player than Gordon? 

That's kind of the reason i want George hill so much.  Helps Fournier.  Improves the team.  But suddenly you have a identity with a hill - Fournier - Isaac - Gordon - biyombo lineup

4 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

That's kind of the reason i want George hill so much.  Helps Fournier.  Improves the team.  But suddenly you have a identity with a hill - Fournier - Isaac - Gordon - biyombo lineup

I can see that, too. 

18 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

We started this season really well. Our bench was horrible last year and with the addition of Isaac and Simmons our bench was way better. Then the injury to Isaac and all hell breaks loose. Are we truly missing his length and activity that much? Are we just one of those type players from being good? Granted the injury to Ross was also a loss. But we had him for awhile after ji went down. 

Are we keeping him out of games now to do a stealth tank? If so, that is bs and is a disservice to the fans and the rest of the team. 

I think we had a good blend of 4 above average defensive players with 5 ok offensive players.  Then we had 2 above average defensive players with 7 collectively ok offensive players.  Now we have biyombo, rarely Gordon on defense and vucevic, Simmons on offense.  Then the land of misfit toys filling gaps.  The balance we had early is gone

Nobody is taking about this but Juice is one of our biggest assets. His contract represents incredible value. Still I hope we build with AG, JI and him as our core.

13 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Nobody is taking about this but Juice is one of our biggest assets. His contract represents incredible value. Still I hope we build with AG, JI and him as our core.

I don't think he's a part of our "core". He's more of a valuable bench player.  

He represents tremendous value with his production on what is probably the best contract in the league but he's a really poor starter.  The production is still there but he's been a garbage defender and a black hole. 

Schedule looks brutal (80% of teams .500 or  better) from here until the trading deadline on Feb. 8 in 2018.  We could be 15-38 to 18-35 the way we are currently playing.   FO evaluation and asssessment period looks like activity at trade deadline will increase.  I would still try to pry another 1st round lottery pick for next year's deep draft from someone (Cleveland who has Brooklyn's pick or Philly who has the Laker's pick is where I would start) giving us two first's and two second's (ours and the Lakers) next year plus two firsts the following year (ours and Memphis).  Draft will be the best foundation to build upon considering the current status of our team.