Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

My only excitement now lays in the February trade deadline! Time for Magic rebuild 3.0. I hate to say it, but we should tank, it’s working for Philly; if we stay competitive just outside the playoffs we probably won’t get an impact player. It concerns me that players like VO and TH go to different teams and excell. I think it looks bad on us as a franchise and could be a deterrent for future signings. Hopefully the new FO can turn around that perception. I believe we are at a delicate time as a franchise and need to show some marked improvement in the next year or two. I know a lot of people are hard on Henny, but I’m not so sure Alex wasn’t involved in that last Ibaka debacle.

I don't think we need to tank, we have a pretty solid partial core. If we could just add a serviceable PG that can shoot 3s and stay in front of other PGs, and a decent center that can catch the ball, dunk, get rebounds and putbacks, and protect the rim we are well on our way. To get those players I'm willing to give up any combination of Mario, EP, Fournier, Vuc, Biz, and a 1st round pick or 2. I don't think we should wait until the deadline and get stuck with leftovers, we need to be proactive early on and get the players that we really need.

9 minutes ago, Magicpassion said:

My only excitement now lays in the February trade deadline! Time for Magic rebuild 3.0. I hate to say it, but we should tank, it’s working for Philly; if we stay competitive just outside the playoffs we probably won’t get an impact player. 

Im sorry but I have to disagree with you here. 

Why do you say the Tank  has been working for Philly. What have they achieved  that makes it successful?  

They are currently just a competitive team which might make the playoff this year. 

They have been on tank mode for years! They let go 2 of the early lottery picks in the tank process in Noel and soon to be release Okafor. 

They have a good core of players now but they have to start paying them soon. I dont think a core consisting of simmons, embiid, fultz, covington will be enough to Take care of the East. They will need talent through the free agencies as well. Not sure if they will have enough money To sign a max talent while retaining JJ for next year. 

I just see them as a good playoff team that will fail to reach the finals. 

I think if we somehow trade Vuch, fournier and upgrade our PG position we will be able to compete against Philly. 

I like the simmons, Isaac and Gordon core. 

So my point is that at this ooint tanking will not help us at all. We need to improve via trades and /or free agency by working with our cap space. 

We have to have a core with enough upside to sign stars; I believe Philly finally has this and the league recognizes it. JJ said he signed because they were on the rise/plus a nice 1 yr salary. I would normally agree that it’s early to talk tank, but feel we lack the talet aside from AG, JI and JSimms is a good energy guy. I think Philly’s core is stronger, but hopefully JI proves me wrong.

10 minutes ago, Bauncey Chillups said:

Despite our horrible stretch of losses and all the problems on the team, we're only 4 games back from .500. Can't really commit to tanking at this stage.

Also, we'd have to probably hold Gordon out for 30 games and that risks a Bledsoe situation

3 hours ago, ML6 said:

I cannot express in words how much I miss Oladipo.

It really is infuriating. We had a guy who would now fit perfectly as our no. 1 scoring option, and we traded him - along with a decent 1st-round pick - for Serge Ibaka, a declining player at our second-best pick's position, because we thought Fournier was just as good (and, I suspect, maybe even more because we worried that however good Dipo became he wouldn't become a good enough shooter to allow us to keep Payton, with whom Hennigan was obsessed). But that shouldn't be surprising, since we never committed to Oladipo while he was here. Not really. We knew that, coming out of the draft, Dipo was a guy who would need time to learn how to score efficiently in volume. He was a worker, a guy who built himself into a top draft pick, someone we knew was talented, but had never really been given a green light to lead an offense. Much like we're seeing with Gordon, Vic needed time to not only develop his skills, but learn how specifically to use them in volume. But what did we do with him? Stuck him on the bench most of his rookie season, then picked up Evan Fournier to suck away minutes and offensive opportunities after that. We handed the offense over to Afflalo, then a mixture of Vucevic and Harris, then finally we let Vic take the reigns a bit. Shocker, he was a 20 point a night guy post all-star his second year (at only a slight efficiency drop). What did we do when we saw that he was developing as a scorer? We drafted another wing scorer (a complete bust, when we could have drafted a big like Turner or Cauley-Stein, or even a wing defender at the 3 like Justise Winslow, Stanley Johnson, or even Kelly Oubre, Justin Anderson or Rondae Hollis-Jefferson). We then benched Dipo early in the next season, only to bring him back into the starting lineup and feature him again after the All-star break. And he put up nearly 20 points per night again post-All-star-break, this time improving his efficiency to very respectable levels. Then we traded him, because Rob Hennigan is an idiot.

Now in Indiana, with the keys to an offense, he actually looks like the guy we all hoped he could be, the guy he kept assuring us he was going to be. And he's not putting up empty numbers. His team is winning. They traded Paul George, and, mostly because Oladipo is a monster this year, they're somehow playing better. We should have a core of Dipo and Gordon, two hard-working guys who look right now like they would be a brilliant one-two punch to build an offense around, not to mention both being plus defenders. Instead, we have Gordon taking the 3rd or 4th most shots on the team while we try to build a team around Fournier and Vucevic.

36 minutes ago, Bauncey Chillups said:

Literally nobody expected Oladipo to play like he's playing now. He was *horrendous* in that playoff series for OKC, there's a reason why everyone was shocked when Indiana did the trade.

Um... I expected him to be a 20+ point scorer this year. Can't find where I said it, but I know I did somewhere. I am not shocked at all that he's so good (I'm surprised his shooting is THIS efficient, but I knew he would continue to improve and that his volume would be high). I've said for years he should be special when everything clicked for him. Said last year that he was in the exact worst place in the league for his skill set in OKC. So, no, literally at least me and Victor Oladipo expected him to play this good. Everyone was shocked because they didn't understand how terribly Orlando managed him, then how much worse OKC managed him.