Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

Orlando is better than we thought it’d be. Las Vegas oddsmakers set its over-under at roughly 34.5 wins, which looks quite low in hindsight. The Magic are going to be competitive. They’re going to be fun because of youngsters like Gordon and Isaac and their emerging talents like Fournier and Simmons. Once Elfrid Payton returns, they’ll have a point guard who can help stabilize the offense. 

The problem is their early success is largely dependent on scorching-hot shooting. They’ve hit 44.1 percent of their 3s and 44.4 percent of their midrange jumpers. They won’t keep that up. They’re not the Warriors. The Magic have also attempted 38.3 percent of their shots from midrange or in the paint (non-restricted area), which is the ninth-highest rate in the league. The Spurs, Raptors, and Clippers made the playoffs by living in the midrange last season, but the Magic lack the same level of offensive firepower to keep it up.

A closer look also shows multiple moments this season when Gordon and Fournier have been visibly frustrated with each other, tossing their hands up when the other pounds the air out of the ball. Simmons and point guard D.J. Augustin have also had moments when they try to get theirs first. Their overall approach has had success so far, but teams that play selfishly don’t tend to maintain high levels of offensive efficiency over the course of the season. No one on this team has earned the right or the status to dominate the ball, and they should play like it.

Orlando’s early shooting may also be compensating for its defense. Scoring more limits transition opportunities. But it’s not as if their half-court defense has been great. The Magic are doing a much better job of switching screens, but teams are attempting 35.1 percent of their shots in the restricted area and also getting to the free throw line. Those numbers may rise as teams begin getting out on the break more often. A similar rise may happen at the 3-point line, where opponents are shooting just 27.8 percent from 3 against them—a league low that is more or less sheer luck

That doesn’t mean the Magic will automatically stink moving forward. Indeed, a lot has gone in their favor early in the season, but real progress has already been made here. Some much-needed player development should keep them in the playoff hunt as the season wears on. For a franchise that hasn’t sniffed the playoffs since 2011-12, that’s a victory.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/11/1/16589036/nba-orlando-magic-detroit-pistons-memphis-grizzlies-for-real

Just found out I'm going to the game Sunday night. Brother-in-law got tickets for us. Now I'm excited, but worried we won't have a PG beyond Mack. We should be able to win even shorthanded tonight against the Bulls (we better, they suck hardcore!); but we need to be able to play Simmons in his proper role against the Celtics. I want a win against the other best team in the league!

2 minutes ago, Justin Jaudon said:

Just found out I'm going to the game Sunday night. Brother-in-law got tickets for us. Now I'm excited, but worried we won't have a PG beyond Mack. We should be able to win even shorthanded tonight against the Bulls (we better, they suck hardcore!); but we need to be able to play Simmons in his proper role against the Celtics. I want a win against the other best team in the league!

Yeah, let's hope this doesn't get too interesting.

If Payton is out of tonights game I would prefer them to leave him out of the Boston game as well. Would make sure he is likely fully fit by Wednesday and they wouldn't be throwing him in at the deep end against Kyrie and a good team. The knicks would be preferable to come back and play in imo.

7 minutes ago, crisby pancakes said:

If Payton is out of tonights game I would prefer them to leave him out of the Boston game as well. Would make sure he is likely fully fit by Wednesday and they wouldn't be throwing him in at the deep end against Kyrie and a good team. The knicks would be preferable to come back and play in imo.

I think he's ok now.  They want him to go full on Saturday before he's cleared for Sunday

It will be interesting to see how we will get around not having a real PG for long portions of the game. Thankfully Chicago does not have a good PG to take advantage.

We already had Simmons play PG at end of the games, we will probably see Simmons at backup PG and then Afflalo/Hezonja taking his SG/SF minutes

1 hour ago, random said:

We already had Simmons play PG at end of the games, we will probably see Simmons at backup PG and then Afflalo/Hezonja taking his SG/SF minutes

Normally I'd say hopefully Hezonja, but now it's hopefully Afflalo. Strange how that happens :(