Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

4 hours ago, Gordon MVP said:

Happens all the time 

Think about how much you don’t want Biyombo on this team, money not even a factor. I mean, we are talking about not even wanting him in the rotation.

Now think about Jeff Green and how bad his contract felt, and that we couldn’t even trade him at the deadline.

Now comsider Jeff Green’s contract +2m and three years instead of one. That’s Biyombo.

If you are another team, what does it take for you to bring in that contract?

Yeah I think he's pretty much un-tradeable at the moment.

He was given a big contract for two skills, defence/rim protection and rebounding. He would work well with some of our lineups if he did that at the elite level he performed them in the finals series against the Cavs and in other stretches when given time at Toronto. Where is that Biyombo? Did he dissapear when given the money? (I never pegged him as someone that would happen to.. Is it too much focus on other areas like charity etc? (not that that work isn't amazing))

I think doing a trade right now would be a mistake. We need to see what we have when things slow down and we lose some games. See who the weak links are then. Its easy to say someone is expandable when we are playing so good.

EP didnt even get a chance to play yet except for 2 games.

Trading for Bledsoe right now would not be a patient move.

Maybe closer to trade deadline.

Its kinda crazy how it feels like a light switch was flipped and now we have a bunch of young players leading their team to wins as the old guard is starting to decline significantly.  Last time this happened it was slow and spread out as shaq, ray Allen, Iverson, mcgrady, webber, Nash, grant hill were replaced by a myriad of young stars all in a normal progression based on where they were drafted.  

This year it seems like all these guys made a leap from projects to actually leading teams to wins at the same time:

Porzingis, oladipo, Booker, Fournier, Gordon, Russell, Harris, Wiggins, Simmons, embiid.  

40 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

Its kinda crazy how it feels like a light switch was flipped and now we have a bunch of young players leading their team to wins as the old guard is starting to decline significantly.  Last time this happened it was slow and spread out as shaq, ray Allen, Iverson, mcgrady, webber, Nash, grant hill were replaced by a myriad of young stars all in a normal progression based on where they were drafted.  

This year it seems like all these guys made a leap from projects to actually leading teams to wins at the same time:

Porzingis, oladipo, Booker, Fournier, Gordon, Russell, Harris, Wiggins, Simmons, embiid.  

Miss Dipo.

Mario might turn out the same too.

it's funny how the magic criticism now is "this team is fools gold.  Magic fans shouldn't expect this to continue" where "this"= tied for first in the league and on pace for 59 wins. 

No ****. We're just happy we went from "probably the 10th seed" to "might overachieve and get the 5th seed"

Cleaning the glass shows that on one hand we're shooting unsustainably from mid range and three.  That's not going to continue.  On the other hand, vucevic shooting threes is resulting in a wide open paint. When the shooting stops we should be able to get to the rim more often than we are now.  

The non-sustainability of our shooting doesn't worry me by itself; that's going to inevitably come back down to Earth.  What does concern me is that regression PLUS our opponents' 3P% coming up.  We're having the best of both worlds right now and unfortunately both will average out.  Defense is better but not in proportion with the extent of shots other teams are missing so far.

I do agree that Vuc stretching the floor will have lots of benefits creating driving lanes.     

2 hours ago, Magicman28 said:

Miss Dipo.

Mario might turn out the same too.

I find myself going back and forth on Mario. So far he has only shown flashes of his potential, and I find myself thinking he's been in the league a couple of years, he should be better. Then I think, he's only 22, he's been through several coaches with different schemes, and his development has been somewhat stunted by the inconsistency. I remember back when JJ Redick came into the league (he was 22 then), and it took him several years of being in the league before he was really worth much(24 or 25); so I can still see a possible light at the end of the tunnel for Mario. Then I think, yeah, but does Mario have the same drive/work ethic JJ had then? Then I think, but JJ had much better coaching/development prior to entering the league, and had a specific role when he came into games; whereas Mario really hasn't. How much longer do we hope based on his "potential"?

I finally decided that if we trade Mario, it should be only if it is for an obvious trade-win (part of Bledsoe trade?); and if we don't, I think he spends a lot of time with Lakeland while we are on home-stands so he can get some playing time and hopefully boost his confidence. I also hope he looks at how Simmons works, and takes that to heart. I think this is a critical time for Mario; either he takes some big strides this year, and becomes the player we hope he can be; or within a couple more years I think he will be struggling to stay in the league. I can see us letting him go, and in two years him either being a Magic killer, or out of the league/back in Europe; with no real clue which he will become. 

Mario at 20/21/22

SEASON TEAM GP GS MIN FGM-A FG% 3PM-A 3P% FTM-A FT% OR DR REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
'15-'16 79 9 17.9 2.3-5.3 .433 0.8-2.4 .349 0.6-0.7 .907 0.4 1.9 2.2 1.4 0.2 0.5 1.6 1.2 6.1
'16-'17 65 2 14.8 1.8-5.1 .355 0.7-2.2 .299 0.6-0.8 .800 0.3 1.9 2.2 1.0 0.2 0.5 1.1 0.9 4.9
'17-'18                       6 0             12.8     1.8-3.7   .500      0.8-1.3      .625       0.0-0.0   .000   0.5     1.8      2.3       0.7      0.0      0.5    1.5     1.2     4.5

Redick at 22/23

SEASON TEAM GP GS MIN FGM-A FG% 3PM-A 3P% FTM-A FT% OR DR REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
'06-'07 42 0 14.8 1.9-4.6 .410 0.9-2.3 .388 1.3-1.4 .900 0.2 1.0 1.2 0.9 0.0 0.3 1.2 0.5 6.0
'07-'08 34 0 8.1 1.4-3.2 .444 0.5-1.3 .395 0.8-1.0 .794 0.0 0.7 0.7 0.5 0.0 0.1 0.9 0.4 4.1