Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

2 minutes ago, Janders said:

We declined Mario’s option according to Woj

What does this mean exactly? We have to sign him to a new contract next season if we want to keep him? 

3 minutes ago, jjgator said:

What does this mean exactly? We have to sign him to a new contract next season if we want to keep him? 

He becomes an unrestricted FA after the season.

If he were to be included in a trade could the other team sign him long term before free agency?

My thoughts on Mario, we’re super deep at wing now and the near future and despite how much we try to force it, Mario’s not a 4. We’ll see how he closes out now that it’s officially a contract year for him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Janders said:

We declined Mario’s option according to Woj

I'm really starting to like our new management! They did well in FA this summer and not extending Mario is a logical choice that I don't think Henny would have run with. Unless Mario does a very quick 180 I think his NBA days are pretty numbered.

So does that make Mario an expiring for trade purposes?

6 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

I'm really starting to like our new management! The did well in FA this summer and not extending Mario is a logical choice that I don't think Henny would have run with. Unless Mario does a very quick 180 I think his NBA days are pretty numbered.

He's been pretty good this year.  This seems like a fit - financial move more than a performance one.  

49 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

He's been pretty good this year.  This seems like a fit - financial move more than a performance one.  

How has he been “pretty good” this year. He’s done nothing noteworthy...last game he was basically out the rotation. We haven’t even played 10 games yet and he’s being minimized. 

It’s not a fit financial move. Rookie contracts provide the best ROI versus other contracts and that’s because they are cheap. If Hezonja had any value as a player he would’ve been traded for even a second round pick. I bet the team shopped him hard but couldn’t get anything. See Jahlil Okafor as well. 

1 hour ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

He becomes an unrestricted FA after the season.

If he were to be included in a trade could the other team sign him long term before free agency?

No he simply becomes an unrestricted FA, they’ll just have his bird rights. At this point if he is in a trade, it’s simply to match salaries. 

$5,000,000 in Rob Hennigan's hands amounts to nothing. $6,000,000 in Weltman's hands can get you a Jonathan Simmons. True, those bargains don't come around every day but at least with our new front office it's nice to know we'll be in the market for another next off season. Time to scout next summer's free agents.