Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

I decided to track Gordon's touch time from the highlights because nba tracking still isn't up yet. I'm sure it's missing some shots and it doesn't count the possessions that don't result in something he does but I feel like it shows something regardless. numbers reflect time on the shot clock

caught at 9. shot at 8 one dribble pull up

caught at 16. shot 16. open catch and shoot three

caught 24 shot 16. Russell switched onto him and he took him into the post. smart move. we'd want Isaac, vucevic, and probably simmons to do the same thing

caught 15. shot 12. This one occurred at 8:10 in the first. evan drove to the right almost under the basket. sucked in hollis-jefferson and kicked it out to a wide open Gordon. Hollis Jefferson closed out hard. Gordon attacked to the left and the help never came. I want to talk about Vucevic's shooting on this one. Vucevic being able to shoot threes now (and his performance last week against Brooklyn sucks Mozgov all the way out to the three point line. Normally Mozgov would be just below the free throw line and could still defend Vucevic's 19 footers pretty well and be in a position to help.  If Gordon is a solid three point threat going forward, Payton is going to live in the Paint. It's wide open.

caught 24 shot 18. Gordon gets a rebound and starts pushing the pace. finds Russell on him again. takes him right to the rim.

Caught 15 shot 13. looks like booker thinks Russell is going to switch because theres almost a handoff between ross and Gordon but it causes booker and Russell to both go to their left and Gordon just attacks the basket and draws a foul.

caught 15 shot 15 alley oop

caught 7 shot 7 open catch and shoot 3

caught 20 shot 19 fast break dunk

caught 12 shot 10. soft jab once. pull up three as booker dares him to shoot it. This one is the closest jumper so far that you'd want to have him maybe decide faster. it doesn't really cross a line into last year but I don't think it's an efficient use of time.

caught 24 shot 16. 9:30 in the third This is the first ball stopping play. he brings up the ball as the defacto point guard and the team runs a LeBron play for him. Vuc sets a high screen about 25 feet from the rim while Gordon is moving from half court towards the basket (as opposed to a typical screen where the action is parallel to the baseline) Gordon attacks Mozgov who decided to camp out at the restricted area and draws a foul while carroll was on his hip. So it worked. and its ok to bet on yourself like this once or twice a game. but you cant do it all the time. Lebron and Harden do this a lot.

caught 15 shot 14. roll to the basket. one dribble foul.

caught 21 shot 20. fast break miss then rebound then putback

caught 8 shot 7 off ball cut (fouled)

caught 16 shot 15 one dribble step back open three

caught 17 shot 11. got Russell switched on him. this one was probably a travel.

caught 24 shot 24. putback dunk

caught 12 shot 12. catch and shoot 3.

so you can see there were very few instances of an inefficient use of time at least on his successful plays. there was the LeBron screen that resulted in a ok shot when a good shot (vucevic at the three point line) was probably a better option. The only other one was the soft jab when he probably could have just pulled up immediately. That one was definitely an improvement from last year but, typically, bad things happen the longer Gordon holds the ball on the perimeter.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

caught 12 shot 10. soft jab once. pull up three as booker dares him to shoot it. This one is the closest jumper so far that you'd want to have him maybe decide faster. it doesn't really cross a line into last year but I don't think it's an efficient use of time.

I think I remember this one. I was nervous when he took this shot, as it is the type that he missed a bunch last year. Too much hesitation on what to do and a bit out of rhythm. If he keeps shooting well, he isn't going to have that time and space to make up his mind on what to do.

The good thing is that I think I saw him do this two other times where he took a jab step around the three point line, didn't see what he wanted and passed it fairly quickly off to keep the action moving. I think generally you want him to do this rather than hesitate and take the shot. Generally, he needs to take that shot about a second faster or give the ball up. That is what the best players do.

Just now, Odin said:

I think I remember this one. I was nervous when he took this shot, as it is the type that he missed a bunch last year. Too much hesitation on what to do and a bit out of rhythm. If he keeps shooting well, he isn't going to have that time and space to make up his mind on what to do.

The good thing is that I think I saw him do this two other times where he took a jab step around the three point line, didn't see what he wanted and passed it fairly quickly off to keep the action moving. I think generally you want him to do this rather than hesitate and take the shot. Generally, he needs to take that shot about a second faster or give the ball up. That is what the best players do.

yeah. in fact many do that. pass it up. get the ball right back and shoot it in motion. Players don't practice "sit and contemplate threes". its why half the time good three point shooters who get the ball in the corner and are so open nobody even runs out to contest end up missing. They sit there, observe their openness for a second then casually shoot the open shot and it clanks off the rim.

1 hour ago, Payton4thewin said:

just another early season injury due to a short preseason.

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

Sorry MP

Thanks ;) This sports life ain't easy

Random Magic related reflection...

I saw Meer was balling last night for the Pelicans. It's crazy to think back on the Howard and Meer days. Not only did Howard throw Meer under the bus, but Howard's best days were clearly in Orlando with SVG, too.

The great irony is that all these years later, I'd rather have Meer on a team right now over Howard. Meer is a quiet leader and plays within his game, whereas Howard is the consummate victim who thinks he's the underutilized alpha dog. Ultimately, I'm happy for Meer and respect his never-ending work ethic and character.

one weird thing about the magic being relevant again is having national people try to talk about this team knowing they didn't watch any preseason and probably watched the nets game along with one or two odd games last year.

So far I've heard:

1. we don't need payton because we look better playing Fournier at point with Augustin backing him up. 

2. Mario is bad because augustin plays over him

3. We should have drafted Saric due to number 1.

The saric one is my favorite because he has no place on this team other than "cant be worse than Biyombo". He's slow and doesn't defend well.

• Upvote 1