Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

In addition to the 2016-17 Magic’s clearly visible on-court flaws, such as poor 3-point shooting and porous perimeter defense, the team also lacked something amorphous: chemistry. The roster amounted to less than the sum of its individual parts. Players just didn’t jell or appear to enjoy playing alongside each other.

“Do you have good chemistry because you win or do you win because you have good chemistry?” swingman Evan Fournier said. “That’s the real question. We all like each other. When we go out together to eat, we all have a good time. But the reality is when you lose, it wears on everybody.”

The 2017-18 Magic face a critical challenge in the months ahead: How can they foster, and maintain, team chemistry?

The Magic have attempted to promote cohesion. Late in the offseason, most North American players on the roster gathered in Southern California for a voluntary mini-camp. On Sept. 24, a group got together for paintball. And on Monday night, Nikola Vucevic hosted teammates for dinner at a restaurant where he’s an investor.

The vibe within the team seems to have improved.

During training camp and the preseason, players looked like they were pulling for each other, with guys on the bench catapulting off their seats when a teammate, often newcomer Jonathon Simmons, made an exciting play. When a player fell to the court, teammates rushed over to help him back to his feet. And players, for the most part, simply pulled for each other more than they had in the past.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-sp-orlando-magic-team-chemistry-1017-story.html

Feel like we should hire Jameer into the staff if he doesn't find another team. Not sure if he'd be interested in coaching or a front office job but either way we need to make it happen. 

14 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

He's arguably better than all our point guards

Key word arguably.  Mad respect for Jameer but he wouldn't get pt here, not with Payton taking most the minutes and DJ/Mack already here.  

15 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

He's arguably better than all our point guards

You seriously believe that?  Wow.  If so, it just shows how much people really underestimate what Payton can do for this team and for this specific roster around him.  Management has seen and accepted what he is, and is moving towards giving him and Gordon keys to the kingdom.  Payton will show his worth this year.  Maybe not in stats.  But in wins.  And in how he makes everyone else around him better. 

I have a prediction.  I predict that before he retires Payton will beat the record for most assists in a game that was made by a former Orlando Magic player.  Watch.  I hope he does it this year.

• Like 1

Hmm. In my eyes Jameer is easily better than Augustin and Mack right now.

Remember he started a lot of games for Denver last season because Mudiay disappointed everybody, and Denver had success with him on the court. He also posted some nice numbers

The reason he was let go is because Denver is really young and they're trying to turn Jamal Murray into a new era Point Guard. They also have players like Kenneth Faried who they can just flip for a younger PG, but Jameer is still good. Way better than Afflalo, at least (who hasn't looked bad in preseason to be honest, either).

1 minute ago, Catalina Maria said:

I predict that before he retires Payton will beat the record for most assists in a game that was made a former Orlando Magic player.  Watch.  I hope he does it this year.

That did make me laugh, in a good way

3 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Hmm. In my eyes Jameer is easily better than Augustin and Mack right now.

Remember he started a lot of games for Denver last season because Mudiay disappointed everybody, and Denver had success with him on the court. He also posted some nice numbers

The reason he was let go is because Denver is really young and they're trying to turn Jamal Murray into a new era Point Guard. They also have players like Kenneth Faried who they can just flip for a younger PG, but Jameer is still good. Way better than Afflalo, at least (who hasn't looked bad in preseason to be honest, either).

I checked out Jameer's numbers.  I haven't been watching him and I gave up before the all star break last season.  So yeah, Jameer is still pretty good!  I'd bring him in for heart alone.  He and Simmons would tear up the second unit. 

1 hour ago, Catalina Maria said:

You seriously believe that?  Wow.  If so, it just shows how much people really underestimate what Payton can do for this team and for this specific roster around him.  Management has seen and accepted what he is, and is moving towards giving him and Gordon keys to the kingdom.  Payton will show his worth this year.  Maybe not in stats.  But in wins.  And in how he makes everyone else around him better. 

I have a prediction.  I predict that before he retires Payton will beat the record for most assists in a game that was made by a former Orlando Magic player.  Watch.  I hope he does it this year.

Payton has never shown in the past that he can make the players around him better.  There is absolutely no reason to expect that to change this year. 

18 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Payton has never shown in the past that he can make the players around him better.  There is absolutely no reason to expect that to change this year. 

More triple doubles than any other Magic player ever? That's arguable, especially in a flawed system and given a coach who didn't believe in him.

7 minutes ago, Catalina Maria said:

More triple doubles than any other Magic player ever? That's arguable, especially in a flawed system and given a coach who didn't believe in him.

I don't see how triple doubles show that he made players around him better, and I am a Payton believer. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Murphy13 said:

Key word arguably.  Mad respect for Jameer but he wouldn't get pt here, not with Payton taking most the minutes and DJ/Mack already here.  

There is virtually no measurement that suggests DJ or Mack are better than Jameer right now. He and DJ are both bad defenders at this point, but his offense was waaaay more efficient last year, not only as a shooter, but as a ball-handler/distributor, and that is going against starters more often. Mack is much better on D than either, but he's not a good offensive player, as he can't really shoot well enough and he's a turnover machine. I'll agree that Payton is objectively a better player by now, but Jameer would see 20min per night as his backup on this team. Easily.

• Like 1