Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

37 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

we have a style of play that fits our personnel. pushing the pace allows us to better take advantage of the 11 or so guys on the team that are able to handle the ball on a fast break. The switching defense seems to have helped Payton's defensive issues. We have 3 guys in the rotation who should be premier perimeter defenders. I'm highly confident the team will be a top 10 defensive team this year.

Gordon looks great. you take that and add a rotation of payton, ross, Fournier, vucevic, simmons, biyombo, Isaac and [backup point guard] and you should have enough collective good games to do something. Instead of Hezonja, Meeks' injury of the week, Onuaku, Wilcox, Zimmerman, Rudez at the end of the bench you have (mack or augustin) Hezonja, Afflalo, Speights, Birch, and Iwundu. The latter group is more competent and has a variety of situational role players that are actual nba players.

This team is a team built for the regular season and, unlike last season, seems to actually have given us tangible factors for optimism in the preseason.

I have to say, I am much happier with the Afflalo signing over a Jeff Green/ Ben Gordon type. One, we are paying him less, which is always a plus. But more importantly, he is the type of vet you want to have on your team, a guy that has been very professional his entire career. It also doesn't hurt that he is still probably a better player than 2016-2017 Jeff Green (though he was obviously not very good last year either), but will most likely not get much playing time as we have better players in front of him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Payton4thewin said:

Did you watch any of the preseason? 

I did, it was the preseason. Payton still can't shoot or see the basket and Vuc is still not a good defender. Adding Isaac to the SL instead of Ibaka or Ross may yield a little bit but it is not going to take us from sucking to being good. If all of our other new guys are playing limited minute 3rd string what have we really done to get much better? 

• Downvote 1

Just now, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

I did, it was the preseason. Payton still can't shoot or see the basket and Vuc is still not a good defender. Adding Isaac to the SL instead of Ibaka or Ross may yield a little bit but it is not going to take us from sucking to being good. If all of our other new guys are playing limited minute 3rd string what have we really done to get much better? 

we completely changed our entire offensive and defensive philosophies. The team plays completely different. The entire team played fantastic defense in the preseason.

• Upvote 1

I think it is fair to look at pre-season "success" with suspicion. I think it is also fair to look at improvements in play style and tactics and see potential for real success.

I think Aaron Gordon will be really good this year and modest improvements from other players plus better schemes suited to our players will equal more success- but I also think a lot of the season will depend upon the adjustments Vogel makes or does not make as the season goes on.

I really really hope that this is the year that everything starts to come together though.

2 hours ago, Payton4thewin said:

we're making the playoffs this year. Just thought I'd let you guys know.

I always appreciate your optimism. It's not a stretch to say we'll make the playoffs, but I'm not buying it yet

2 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

We'll see how that works for us. We still need to put the ball in the basket and with 9 out of 10 of the 1st guys to play being the same as last year I just don't see much of an improvement on that end.

7 out of 9. 

But when you're removing Jeff green and Watson for Simmons and Isaac that's a big deal.