Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

32 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

I really don't see anyone offering AG a max contract next year.  There are only a few teams that will have cap space, and there will be more attractive free agents.  No need to bid against ourself.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20143724/nba-nuclear-winter-forecasted-free-agents-summer-2018

Eh, a lot of those players will likely stay with the teams they are currently on, which can pay over the cap, leaving much fewer players on the open market. There will be at least one team out there with cap space that misses out on getting one of the stars and who will overpay for a consolidation prize.

Not saying that he will get a max contract, but I don't think your reasoning is why he won't.

1 hour ago, Payton4thewin said:

yeah. but if we all agree he's not worth the designated max there's little benefit to not just waiting this out to the summer. a flat deal or a front loaded deal would be awesome. I'd love to sign him to that now because if it turns out he's only worth 4/72, paying him 4/84 or 88 isn't going to kill your future plans. but if he wants a deal starting at 23-25 million with max yearly increases I'd just wait until next summer.

one thing though. if for whatever reason Gordon gets a max extension I'd really start to get excited about his upcoming season. That basically says he's been so good behind closed doors that a GM who didn't even draft him is so afraid of letting him go a year early in 2022 and looking like an idiot (like the whole Minnesota kevin love situation).

I'd rather he get a 2nd contract Curry type deal signed before the season starts :-).

On Thursday, Gordon said he’s not concerned about his own contract situation.

“That’s not why I play the game,” Gordon said. “I trust Jeff Weltman and John Hammond to make the right decision, and I’m going to continue to play my game and continue to help my team get wins and improve as a basketball player. They see how hard I work. They see how far my game has come. I’m only 22. My game is going to continue to improve. There’s still no ceiling for me. I’m looking to be the best in the NBA at some point in my career.”

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

On Thursday, Gordon said he’s not concerned about his own contract situation.

“That’s not why I play the game,” Gordon said. “I trust Jeff Weltman and John Hammond to make the right decision, and I’m going to continue to play my game and continue to help my team get wins and improve as a basketball player. They see how hard I work. They see how far my game has come. I’m only 22. My game is going to continue to improve. There’s still no ceiling for me. I’m looking to be the best in the NBA at some point in my career.”

That's code for basically, "I'm not telling you anything."

9 hours ago, King Close said:

Yea I don't get why he'd hope that unless it was a typo. I woke up this morning and thought I read AG resigned 5 years 80 something million. That'd be a dream scenario that won't happen but I was pretty stoked for a split second. 

Yes it was a typo. I meant to put less than that. We should sign him now for like 4/80 maybe with some incentives.

I'd love to lock AG up now. But if were not certain he's worth the max then we should wait. Rather give him the max (or not) next summer when we're certain he's worth it (or not) than wind up in a Gordon Hayward situation where you got a team friendly deal but with the caveat you might lose a max player a year earlier than you should. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orlando Magic Toaster said:

The rumours seem to be that EP & AG are not likely to sign extensions. If they don’t what can the Magic do? 

Its not that they're not likely to sign extensions.  It's that the two sides are not close enough on a deal (maybe not even past the initial inquiries) so a deal doesn't seem likely at all.  

If no deal the magic just wait until next summer where both guys will be restricted free agents allowing us to match whatever they're offered

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

If Biyombo could become a plus on offense it would mean the world to us. We'd probably make the playoffs

If Byombo could catch the ball two out of three times that would be a big plus.

26 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

Its not that they're not likely to sign extensions.  It's that the two sides are not close enough on a deal (maybe not even past the initial inquiries) so a deal doesn't seem likely at all.  

If no deal the magic just wait until next summer where both guys will be restricted free agents allowing us to match whatever they're offered

Thanks, so we will have them for another season then. That’s not too bad as they will be trying to make an impression no doubt