Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

59 minutes ago, Odin said:

I know- I am just saying that the market seems to be over-valuing potential right now- for the reasons stated- which has made players like Gordon likely more expensive.

the market always overvalues potential because there's always someone out there that is desperate enough to bet on a "what if". and occasionally that what if turns into McGrady or Harden or something like that. And then the team that didn't put up the money looks like an idiot.

Some interesting Magic facts from nba.com

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/10/12/one-team-one-stat-orlando-magic-bad-shooting-inside-out#/

Last season, the Magic were eight games better than their point differential said they should have been. That was the league's biggest discrepancy between actual wins and "expected" wins. Orlando was 29-53 with the point differential of a team that was 21-61, having lost a league-high eight games by 30 or more points. Only the Lakers spent more minutes down by 20 or more points.

1. Their post-trade starting lineup -- Payton, Evan Fournier, Ross, Gordon and Nikola Vucevic -- played 21.6 minutes per game together, more than any other lineup in the league last season.  That lineup was a plus-15 in 410 total minutes, playing at a fast pace (103.8 possessions per 48 minutes). All other post-break lineups were a minus-172 (minus-11.9 NetRtg) in 751 minutes.

Mario Hezonja and Jonathon Simmons had effective field goal percentages from outside the paint of 39.5 percent and 37.4 percent, respectively. Those marks ranked 207th and 211th among 215 players who attempted at least 200 shots from outside the paint last season.

2 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Actually I think AG is doing a lot of the things he used to do, but now his shot is falling. He seems to have improved his shot a lot and that makes a huge difference

His control at the rim is better as well. He has more body control and isn't as wild. 

Just now, The Neighborhood Bully said:

oooh I have something to say about this as I was discussing this with a friend the other day. The point differential thing needs to be more controlled for absurd margins of victory/defeat. If you put in a control that doesn't tally points after the margin of defeat is greater than 20 our point differential more appropriately reflects our record. Without the control you have a situation where the 47 point loss to the Bulls is effectively punishing the magic for 3 losses in one game (-20, -20, -7). And that wasn't the only game like that. Also, in practice it makes sense to limit it at 20 because there's effectively no difference between a 20pt loss, a 25 pt loss, a 30 pt loss, etc. They all reflect a blowout.

7 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I'd like to lock up AG for a reasonable contract for both sides

Isn't he eligible for an extension now?(doesn't it have to be before the season starts or shortly after?). It might be a good idea to try to lock him up now. If he's really improved as much as people are saying it might be a good bit more expensive to wrap him up after the season.

17 minutes ago, jjgator said:

Isn't he eligible for an extension now?(doesn't it have to be before the season starts or shortly after?). It might be a good idea to try to lock him up now. If he's really improved as much as people are saying it might be a good bit more expensive to wrap him up after the season.

Deadline is Monday at 6pm.

I'd pay him 4/88 or 5/110.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

I was under the impression that you could only go to 5 years if it was a max contract for a player entering RFA? Might have just invented that in my own mind for some reason.

18 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I was under the impression that you could only go to 5 years if it was a max contract for a player entering RFA? Might have just invented that in my own mind for some reason.

you might be right. let me go consult the cba.

edit: yes you're right. I read language suggesting that designated players not meeting the criteria for the 30% benefits were still eligible for the 5th year. but its also mandatory that 5th year extensions start at least at 25% of the cap.

44 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

I'd be down paying him 4/80+. I love his heart, hustle and high ceiling.

9 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I'd be down paying him 4/80+. I love his heart, hustle and high ceiling.

yeah. but if we all agree he's not worth the designated max there's little benefit to not just waiting this out to the summer. a flat deal or a front loaded deal would be awesome. I'd love to sign him to that now because if it turns out he's only worth 4/72, paying him 4/84 or 88 isn't going to kill your future plans. but if he wants a deal starting at 23-25 million with max yearly increases I'd just wait until next summer.

one thing though. if for whatever reason Gordon gets a max extension I'd really start to get excited about his upcoming season. That basically says he's been so good behind closed doors that a GM who didn't even draft him is so afraid of letting him go a year early in 2022 and looking like an idiot (like the whole Minnesota kevin love situation).

I really don't see anyone offering AG a max contract next year.  There are only a few teams that will have cap space, and there will be more attractive free agents.  No need to bid against ourself.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20143724/nba-nuclear-winter-forecasted-free-agents-summer-2018

Teams that managed their cap with an eye toward the future instead of prioritizing the present could benefit next summer. Rebuilding franchises with cap space are positioned to pounce on a potentially historic free-agency class, taking advantage of a system that will see the majority of teams over the cap, many hovering near the luxury tax or well into it.

The Los Angeles Lakers are the headliners of the group of teams who can aggressively recruit a free-agency class that could include All-NBA-caliber talent such as LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Chris PaulPaul GeorgeRussell WestbrookDeMarcus CousinsDeAndre Jordan and Isaiah Thomas. The Lakers are projected to have $30 million in cap space and could create two max slots via trades and/or using the stretch provision.

The Chicago Bulls ($50 million projected space), Philadelphia 76ers ($40 million) and Atlanta Hawks ($40 million) are other franchises set up to be aggressive shoppers next summer.