Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, ML6 said:

I would say it's a problem that our highly-touted 5th overall pick now has a bar of "slightly more impactful than laying down at midcourt" to describe his "success".

why is it a problem?

... because you expect that sort of player to meaningfully contribute in some way.

The fact that the team isn't dependent on him and can tread water without him is moot.  Are you arguing that it wouldn't be optimal to have him be a contributory player?

Why does any team care if a high draft pick busts then? 

Just now, ML6 said:

... because you expect that sort of player to meaningfully contribute in some way.

The fact that the team isn't dependent on him and can tread water without him is moot.  Are you arguing that it wouldn't be optimal to have him be a contributory player?

Why does any team care if a high draft pick busts then? 

Does a low bar for expectations vs a high bar for expectations impact how he performs going forward at all?

Mario was trash last year. being better than trash is the bar right now until he raises that bar.

And he hit the boards well and hit a good percentage of shots while screwing up a ton by dribbling into bad situations. I think that's preferable to screwing up less but having less activity at this stage of the preseason.

5 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

I think that's preferable to screwing up less but having less activity at this stage of the preseason.

This thought process is also why Vucevic or Ross or Simmons missing shots isn't a big deal. this is the time to miss shots and have turnovers. Mack having no impact whatsoever should be everyone's biggest worry right now.

13 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

This thought process is also why Vucevic or Ross or Simmons missing shots isn't a big deal. this is the time to miss shots and have turnovers. Mack having no impact whatsoever should be everyone's biggest worry right now.

Yup because then you have DJ who might take over the backup PG spot and that's a recipe for disaster.

Vuch missing shots doesn't bother me. Him playing like he always does bothers me. Same with EP.

7 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Yup because then you have DJ who might take over the backup PG spot and that's a recipe for disaster.

Vuch missing shots doesn't bother me. Him playing like he always does bothers me. Same with EP.

DJ augustin pg of the future?

13 ppg in 16 mpg on 54/47/100 shooting

I'm joking incase this wasn't evident.

• Like 1

DJ Augustin could be a tremendous player if his basketball IQ was higher. He's a fantastic shooter but has no idea how to run a healthy offense (or maybe he doesn't want to).

And yes, I think that Mario's struggles are best described by "He's a 3rd year player but still looks like a rookie". Let's hope he can improve

11 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

Isaac can make heavily contested jumpers.

Great defense. if that shot making is reliable he should start.

I'm excited about his development and hope he can play some 5 eventually.

Also gotta mention Dennis Smith Jr, who's a stud

3 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

DJ Augustin could be a tremendous player if his basketball IQ was higher. He's a fantastic shooter but has no idea how to run a healthy offense (or maybe he doesn't want to).

And yes, I think that Mario's struggles are best described by "He's a 3rd year player but still looks like a rookie". Let's hope he can improve

I think it's the opposite. His bball iq is moderately high but he's limited in size and athleticism and doesn't really fit what we want to do. He can play slow it down basketball on offense where he passes off to another guy then spots up on the weakside.

Maybe we can survive with him next to simmons and Isaac vs last year where he played with Watson and green mostly. but that's also going to require augustin pushing the ball and that's not what he wants to do.