Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

I'm happy to have games to watch again but everyone should know by now that nothing that happens in these games are meaningful.

3 hours ago, Murphy13 said:

I'm happy to have games to watch again but everyone should know by now that nothing that happens in these games are meaningful.

I enjoy watching preseason games and wish the Magic would broadcast them. Obviously we are all anxiously awaiting the regular season but to say preseason games are meaningless is absurd.  We have a few players fighting to make this team and this may be the most important time in their professional career.  I'm really hoping we find a way to keep Khem Birch.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Years of Tragic and Magic said:

I enjoy watching preseason games and wish the Magic would broadcast them. Obviously we are all anxiously awaiting the regular season but to say preseason games are meaningless is absurd.  We have a few players fighting to make this team and this may be the most important time in their professional career.  I'm really hoping we find a way to keep Khem Birch.

Agreed. Also, the outcome may not mean anything, but when it's starters vs. starters, you can get some idea of how they're playing.

23 hours ago, Payton4thewin said:

Can never get that concerned about preseason

I just think we know what he is and with his extension looming, I'm about ready to move on. 

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

Who will play more this season... Affalo or Hezonja?

Still too early. Mario's had some good games besides the last one. His shooting isnt good but all it takes is one game.

Orlando Magic

Let's get crazy.

There is no reason to be optimistic about the Magic. They ranked 29th in points per possession, and 24th in points allowed. Lineups with Aaron Gordon at power forward, his appropriate position and the one he will mercifully play this season, fared poorly. Continuity doesn't mean much when you bring back mediocre players who don't fit.

But it means something. Look: One of these sorry ass teams is going to randomly win 38 games and butt into the playoff walkathon. Frank Vogel spent a year discovering what doesn't work. Dig deeper, and a lot of the lineups that failed with Gordon at power forward involved Jeff Green and other nonentities who aren't here anymore.

Orlando has a bunch of decent players either entering their primes, or in the thick of them -- including Elfrid Payton and an interesting three-man wing rotation of Evan Fournier, Jonathon Simmons and Terrence Ross. Someone might pop. Maybe several guys make mini-pops -- common at their ages -- that combust into something greater.

The structural problems haven't gone away. Nikola Vucevic can't anchor a defense, and Bismack Biyombo is an anchor that sinks any offense. Spacing will be cramped with Gordon, Payton, and Simmons on the floor -- and, really, with any two of them.

But there is talent here. Vogel can coach. If this team can't win 35 games in this conference, just blow the whole damned thing up. If the new front office pivots in that direction at midseason, shove the Magic into bottom tier.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20960590/zach-lowe-2017-18-nba-tiers-ratings

I haven't watched any of the games, but the box scores look as though the first option on offense is Gordon.  Is that accurate?  Much prefer that to Vuc being the offensive focus.  Vuc is Will Purdue on a good team.  

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I haven't watched any of the games, but the box scores look as though the first option on offense is Gordon.  Is that accurate?  Much prefer that to Vuc being the offensive focus.  Vuc is Will Purdue on a good team.  

I don't think Gordon is the first option. Fournier looks like the first option. Gordon just gets open, gets more shots up, and hits a high percentage.

Payton appears to be running this team well according to verifiable sources despite unremarkable stats.  The team is finally catering to its strengths.  If highlight reels are an indication, it's going to be a decent year of Magic basketball. 

3 minutes ago, Catalina Maria said:

Payton appears to be running this team well according to verifiable sources despite unremarkable stats.  The team is finally catering to its strengths.  If highlight reels are an indication, it's going to be a decent year of Magic basketball. 

He is it's just not at an all star level.