Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, Janders said:

We just hired Tracy McGrady as a Special Assistant to the CEO (Alex Martins)

I saw this and don't really know what to think. Is this just some kind of fancy titled "brand ambassador" style thing or is Tracy actually going to be involved in making decisions? Obviously he's not going to be an assistant in the traditional sense (e.g. getting Martin's coffee) so I'd love to know what his day to day job is actually going to be.

4 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I saw this and don't really know what to think. Is this just some kind of fancy titled "brand ambassador" style thing or is Tracy actually going to be involved in making decisions? Obviously he's not going to be an assistant in the traditional sense (e.g. getting Martin's coffee) so I'd love to know what his day to day job is actually going to be.

in my opinion (with zero knowledge of the subject) I imagine its a way to give him some sort of formal involvement but also almost zero weight behind it. This isn't a basketball position. its a business position. Maybe its just a way to give him money for ongoing use of his mystique in fundraisers and such.

so yeah, I think its more of a brand ambassador thing.

McGrady, who starred for the Magic from 2000–2004, will serve in a versatile advisory role within the organization and also work in a promotion, marketing and community relations role with the Lakeland Magic, the team’s G-League affiliate. McGrady left the team on “strained terms” in 2004, as the Orlando Sentinel put it, but the relationship had improved in recent years.

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/10/06/tracy-mcgrady-orlando-magic-assistant-ceo?utm_campaign=thecrossover&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_twitter_si

so that just came out. So yeah, Brand Ambassador with maybe a little extra flair because his name carries more weight than Bo Outlaw.

One of the few articles I've read that actually likes the direction we're headed.

https://www.detroitbadboys.com/2017/10/6/16347458/orlando-magic-preview-2018-nba-playoff-competitors-orlando-magic-might-be-finally-on-the-right-track

It’s amazing what dumping a terrible general manager can accomplish. 

Rob Hennigan was a trainwreck as a GM yet he somehow managed to last five years despite never putting together a coherent roster and only cracking 30 wins once when they managed 35 in Scott Skiles’ lone season as head coach. Skiles, of course, noticed Hennigan was a disaster and resigned. 

Frank Vogel had a mess of a roster to deal with last season, but he’ll have a much more logical and balanced group of players to sort out this year. For the first time since Stan Van Gundy was running the show in Orlando, the Magic could realistically be a .500 plus team. 

Our old friend John Hammond is handling the personnel in Orlando these days and he had a nice, if understated, first summer in Florida. He landed Jonathan Isaac with the fifth pick in the draft, a player who has some traits similar to his star he drafted in Milwaukee, Giannis Antetokounmpo. After Hennigan spent $99 million to bring in Bismack Biyombo and D.J. Augustin, Hammond signed Arron Afflalo and Marreese Speights for $5 million. 

That’s some nice shopping.

But importantly, Hammond is working the rebuild strategy that Hennigan couldn’t commit to and working it right.

• Upvote 2