Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

Quick question. Before, the mobile version of the forum would quick jump to the first unread post in a given thread. Now it only goes to whatever page you select. Is there a way to get back to how it was? Makes keeping up on convos a lot easier if I miss some things, especially once the season is under way.

• Upvote 4

Training camp vid day 4 on the Magic website, Hezonja asked about having a day of no practice says "I don't take days off I'll still be here". Vuc says "yea it's important to get some rest"... I know it's probably sensible to get a bit of rest but compared to Mario's answer I was disappointed with that. 

Another random tidbit is according to an article on orlandomagic.com Vuc has lost 5 lbs this summer to try and become more mobile.

10 hours ago, Gordon MVP said:

Meh let's wait and see for the season

I know it was summer league and preseason, but getting buckets still means something. But yes, we'll have to see how he looks in more competitive games

11 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

Quick question. Before, the mobile version of the forum would quick jump to the first unread post in a given thread. Now it only goes to whatever page you select. Is there a way to get back to how it was? Makes keeping up on convos a lot easier if I miss some things, especially once the season is under way.

Yea that'd be awesome to have back, probly the only good mobile feature on the last board, lol. 

According to Zach Lowe, we are #29 in league pass watchability.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20849806/zach-lowe-2017-18-nba-league-pass-rankings-part-1

On the bright side, they are pretty deep in actual NBA-level rotation players! We are in Year 3 of wondering if Aaron Gordon might finally bust out, and whether Elfrid Payton's annual April surge meant anything. Gordon is a full-time power forward after last season's doomed experiment playing him on the wing in giant lineups. Payton and Evan Fournier do funny things with their hair. Jeff Green is gone, with $15 million of DeVos money in the back of his getaway car.

The uniforms, court, and commentary are first-rate, and their mascot -- Stuff the Magic Dragon -- is always up to no good along the baseline.

But five years after the Dwight Howard trade, can we say for sure that any player on this roster is more than a fourth or fifth starter on a good team? Gordon has the best shot at making a leap as a very, very poor man's Draymond Green, making plays in the pick-and-roll and hounding guys across all five positions on defense:

Scouts love Jonathan Isaac. The Mario Hezonja Trade Value Rehabilitation Project is worth monitoring; Frank Vogel used him a bit at power forward toward the end of last season. It's fun to watch Marreese Speights chuck -- and bleed points on the other end -- but he may struggle for minutes with Nikola Vucevic (an underrated passer!) and Bismack Biyombo (hands as stony as ever!) earning $30 million combined.

Zoom out, and it's unclear where exactly the Magic go barring a breakout from Gordon or Payton -- neither of whom seems likely to sign an extension before the Oct. 16 deadline. If the new front office builds a good team over the next half-decade without tanking -- or lottery luck -- they'll have done great work.

1 hour ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

According to Zach Lowe, we are #29 in league pass watchability.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20849806/zach-lowe-2017-18-nba-league-pass-rankings-part-1

That's right on.  We have a bunch of good to decent role players.  It's either hope one or more can turn themselves into at least borderline stars or trade for one or more.  With this new front office if this group craters out of the gate I could see some big moves happening starting in December when players that were signed this offseason can be traded.

• Like 1

Not a huge surprise that with a shortened training camp, he is going to start 5 guys that are familiar with the system, and they played more together last year. I'll be interested to see what his bench rotation looks like, and how many bench players he uses at any one time. 

14 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Training camp vid day 4 on the Magic website, Hezonja asked about having a day of no practice says "I don't take days off I'll still be here". Vuc says "yea it's important to get some rest"... I know it's probably sensible to get a bit of rest but compared to Mario's answer I was disappointed with that. 

Another random tidbit is according to an article on orlandomagic.com Vuc has lost 5 lbs this summer to try and become more mobile.

I don't have a problem with it. Rest is important and especially as guys get older, finding that space to heal up is important over a long season. Redick said something similar awhile ago, how early on he didn't rest much in the offseason and it had an effect on him when he didn't have the energy midway through the season because he didn't give his body time to adjust.

• Like 1