Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

18 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

I like the lottery reform.

Don't really see this changing anything. Bottom sweeping teams are still gonna take a chance and try to bottom out. What's to stop them from tanking and taking a chance at the #1 pick? 

Just now, Gordon MVP said:

Don't really see this changing anything. Bottom sweeping teams are still gonna take a chance and try to bottom out. What's to stop them from tanking and taking a chance at the #1 pick? 

it depends on how many bottom teams there are. if there's only 3 teams tanking I don't think there's going to be as much of a race to the bottom. You wont need to get 17 wins. you'll probably be fine with 23-25. That's a big difference.

If there's 5 teams tanking there will be a race to the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Janders said:

Better for us since we’re too good to tank but maybe not good enough to make the playoffs

yeah. if we finish 10th we have a 14% chance at a top 5 pick compared to 4% previously.

On 9/27/2017 at 10:40 AM, Mauro Pedrosa said:

You might want to print-screen this one, because I won't say it very often, but I think Elfrid Payton will take a big step forward

It would have meant more if you said it before he actually took a big step forward.  But he's been playing great since Feb.  Your Star Wars dark side hate for him clouded your judgement to the point where you missed the early bandwagon, now you just seem like someone who is having a hard time admitting how wrong you were.  You aren't alone in that.

41 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

It would have meant more if you said it before he actually took a big step forward.  But he's been playing great since Feb.  Your Star Wars dark side hate for him clouded your judgement to the point where you missed the early bandwagon, now you just seem like someone who is having a hard time admitting how wrong you were.  You aren't alone in that.

See, the funny thing is, he did take a big step forward. Unfortunately, he was still not very good. Even ignoring the rest of the season when he was benched for possibly the worst backup PG in the NBA last year, he's still - at best - among the bottom 10 starting PGs in the league, and that's counting rookies. His big jump was from obvious garbage to 'maybe he should start since our other option is DJ Augustin.' He still has to make another big jump to be considered even an average starting PG. But yeah, sure, let's start a bandwagon and use the two-month best numbers of his career - immediately following him playing so poorly the previous four months that he was benched for DJ Augustin - to hold to the hope that maybe he'll be decent. Nevermind that his entire career is riddled with highs and lows. Damnit, this last high was legit! He's GREAT!!! Everyone who questions this is of course an evil sith!!!

• Like 1

Hammond said the goal is to make the playoffs and continue to build on that. Not just be a one year playoff team. This season feels like it's going to be good. AG gonna be the man!! 

2 hours ago, Justin Jaudon said:

See, the funny thing is, he did take a big step forward. Unfortunately, he was still not very good. Even ignoring the rest of the season when he was benched for possibly the worst backup PG in the NBA last year, he's still - at best - among the bottom 10 starting PGs in the league, and that's counting rookies. His big jump was from obvious garbage to 'maybe he should start since our other option is DJ Augustin.' He still has to make another big jump to be considered even an average starting PG. But yeah, sure, let's start a bandwagon and use the two-month best numbers of his career - immediately following him playing so poorly the previous four months that he was benched for DJ Augustin - to hold to the hope that maybe he'll be decent. Nevermind that his entire career is riddled with highs and lows. Damnit, this last high was legit! He's GREAT!!! Everyone who questions this is of course an evil sith!!!

There is no basis of fact in your post.  He was rated as the 15th best guard in the league post all star break.  Not point guard.  Guard.  He was still a top 32 guard in the entire league over the entire season.  Again, not point guard, but guard. 

http://stats.nba.com/players/advanced/?sort=PIE&dir=-1&CF=MIN*GE*15&Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular Season&SeasonSegment=Post All-Star&PlayerPosition=G

Payton finished top 15 in about every advanced PG stat last season.  Before you say that it just tells you he's an averaging starting pg/middling starting pg it should be noted that 10 of those ahead of him were all stars.  And all of them were considerably older than him in basketball years.  

http://insider.espn.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/pg/sort/VORPe

You are really stretching by using his benching against him at this point since it was apparent that there were forces beyond quality of play at work.  The reality of the situation is that there is not a better point guard in the league that is his age or younger right now.  This is evidenced by a simple advanced stat search filtered by draft year at whatever your favorite metric site is, such as the two links above.  The closest competitor is Dennis Schroeder.  Some stats say he's better, but living in an area where the Hawks are the 'local tv' team, I can say with honesty that I'd rather have Payton.  I just realized he's a year older than Payton anyway, so he's out.  People just don't realize that it takes a lot of time to be a very good pg.  Players like CP3 don't count, they are generational talent.  

TL;DR version: You're full of crap.  

7 hours ago, Notguilty said:

Judging from the quotes coming out of training camp, the players and coaches are subdued in predictions but optimistic in tone! Having the same coach for the same two year period will imho make a distinct difference in a positive way. Been trying for close to two years to join this forum, but wasn't until today that validation was received. Looking forward to joining in on conversations with my own point of view! The biggest point of contention at this point seems to be EP's hair - - I feel that as long as it does not interfere with BASKETBALL ability we as a team are not affected! nobody can please all the people all the time!! Again thanks to the powers that be for my validation!

Welcome aboard!

1 hour ago, Payton4thewin said:

Another year. 

Another run of "Payton might be good; Payton's weaknesses might be detrimental to winning basketball."

I'd love that topic to be put to bed as well but it just keeps f'in popping up here like Pennywise's clown head in my dreams after watching IT.  It doesn't make sense at all yet there it is.  I don't even have a problem with clowns.  It's gotten to the point where my idle threat to the kids is 'You'll float too'!.  I may just start responding to backwards PG talk with that line.  

10 hours ago, Payton4thewin said:

Another year. 

Another run of "Payton might be good; Payton's weaknesses might be detrimental to winning basketball."

Me: giphy.gif

I was looking over the roster the other day and thought to myself, "it's probably the first time in his pro career he's had a roster that fits to his strengths. From top to bottom."

It truly feels like he we're giving him a shot to see why he can really do tbh. AG too but AG isn't going to be dominanting the ball like EP will be.