Sign in to follow this  
TyMagic

POLL: Who would you rather see the Magic get at the 6th spot?

Who do the Magic take with their 6th Pick?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who do the Magic take with their 6th Pick?

• Malik Monk, SG, Kentucky
    • Jonathan Isaac, SF, Florida State
    • Dennis Smith, PG, NC State
    • Frank Ntilikina, PG, France
    • Justin Jackson, SF, North Carolina
    • Lauri Markkanen, PF, Arizona

So my question is this...

I'm totally fine with it if the decision is that Elfrid Payton is NOT the PG of the future.

However, that being said, I do believe that Elfrid is good enough so as that PG is NOT the top need on our team.

So, do we want to spend a top pick on a position where we are already adequate, foregoing greater needs?

Or is Smith that good that it's worth picking at a position where we are already solid, while still leaving our other holes unaddressed?

For me, even if Smith is the player that I'd prefer, I'm not sure that it's at the position we need to go.

But the counter to that is... just pick the damned best player available. At some point, you just need players. Go get the best player and figure out the rest later.

And who knows, if we can get Smith, perhaps we can flip Payton for other assets.

There's arguments to be made on both sides.

From the biggest Payton critic on the board: I think you're right that PG isn't our biggest need. But neither is SG, SF, PF, or C. I don't have any more confidence in Payton's long-term prospects than I do Fournier's, Ross', or Vucevic's, and way less than Gordon's. Even if I weren't an advocate of best player available, I would still just pick Smith, because while PG isn't our biggest need, Smith's profile of being a go-to scorer is. That's why I'm of a mind to pick Smith; if he's not available, pick Monk; if somehow neither are available, pick Tatum (though I have my doubts about him as a go-to scorer, I think he's more likely to be one than Isaac).

The major guys I don't want to end up with who seem like possibilities are Isaac, Fox, and (if he falls) Ball. The good thing is that I can totally see being wrong about all three of those guys. Isaac could end up a mix between Rashard Lewis and Kawhi, Fox could be John Wall 2.0, and Ball could be Steve Nash. In other words, this is a crazy draft, and I hope we get one of the guys who pans out for once.

Vucevic (improved 3 shot)

Gordon

Hezonja (out of his funk)

Ross

Smith

How can you think of Mario as a starter when many of us wonder why he is even in the NBA?

We have to somehow break our mold of drafting somebody that might be really really good if they can just develop a shot or maybe learn to play defense and start drafting players that can already put the ball in the hole and know how to play some D

I would ask EP if he plans on removing that overhang that blocks his eyes from a good look at the basket and if yes, draft a different position, if no, trade him for the earliest 2nd we can get and draft a PG at 6. I picked Smith. I think he will make everyone else on our team better.

I'd now go Smith over Monk (still like Fox over both). However, I think it'll come down to Tatum or Isaac.

I'd feel better about fox if he weighed more than a fifth grader

I'd feel better about fox if he weighed more than a fifth grader

Same was said about Curry and Parker. I think many are dismissing how exceptionally fast and dominant he was (as a freshman) on both ends of the court. Plus, his FT% leads me to believe his shot will be fine.

Same was said about Curry and Parker. I think many are dismissing how exceptionally fast and dominant he was (as a freshman) on both ends of the court. Plus, his FT% leads me to believe his shot will be fine.

or TJ Ford.

I just don't know how you can watch payton's specific issues the last 3 years then want fox

Fox is light years ahead of where Payton was at the same age. Plus, Fox obliterated Ball and many others with traits I think will translate: speed, handle, decision making, finishing ability, leadership, etc. Yes, I think shooting is important but I'm considering the whole player, not just a specific skill set. Last but not least, UK guards tend to translate very well to the NBA.